Value Added to Home by Installing a Coal Stove?

gbig2

Post by gbig2 » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 8:50 pm

My wife and I own a four year old, two story, 2300 sq ft house near Hamburg, PA. The house is currently heated with a propane furnace. With the cost of propane going up we are considering installing a coal stove in our great room to heat instead of propane.
First question is, could I heat the whole house with a centrally located LL Hyfire 2 or Pioneer or Harman DVC-500 with power vent? I do not have a chimney. The stove would be within 15 feet of the main intake vent for the furnace so I'm thinking I could use the furnace fan to circulate the air throughout the house. Maybe even close the vents downstairs so the hot air goes upstairs? The house is 2x6 construction and is tight.
Second question is, we are planning on moving in a year or two so my break even point would have to be within a year or two. It will cost $2500 to heat with propane this winter. I estimate, from lurking around this forum, that a stove would cost $3000-$3500 and coal would cost $700 (estimating three tons as I burn 900 gallons of propane). So total cost would be $3500-$4000. If the stove would add $1000-$1500 of value to the house when I go to sell, I would break even.
I hate the idea of paying $2.72 a gallon for propane and would love to put a stove in just to keep the money in this country, etc., even if it means I only break even.
Any thoughts? Would I break even or could I even save money? It seems to me that, with oil possibly at $170/barrel by winter, having an alternative to oil or propane could be very attractive to a potential home buyer?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 9:01 pm

I think you would heat you home totally or put a huge dent in your propane costs as soon as you started burning coal. That said, I wouldn't count on any value added to you home because of a stove. Most people still have misconceptions about heating with coal, so, unless you luck out & sell your house to a coal burner, I would plan on buying a good stove & taking it with you when you move.
Last edited by Devil505 on Tue. Jul. 01, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 10:43 pm

I don't think they necessarily add alot on to the $$$ of a house, but maybe a nice extra to swing a potential buyer, especially if you mention about power outage in winter that occassionally happen, or how they do happen to save money on propane use. It isnt something that will add to an appraisal value in my opinion.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jul. 01, 2008 6:09 am

Probably depends on the buyer, overall I don't think it would be that much of a selling factor. Now if you had a full boiler system in addition to the propane then you might be onto something but that would cost you an arm and leg so its really out of the question.
sharkman8810 wrote:especially if you mention about power outage in winter that occassionally happen
That doesn't apply to the models mentioned because they are stokers which require electricity to operate.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Tue. Jul. 01, 2008 8:06 am

Wood stoves are a plus, so coal can not hurt. As far as an arm and a leg, absolutely. But at least for that arm and
leg, you get the equipment to heat for cheap. I am installing the boiler and a stove. I will break even the first year. If
I stuck with oil, I would spend the same amount of money this winter on oil , as I am on the conversion now. So, in terms of
return on investment, go for the boiler. It will pay you hard now, and every heating season. If you go to sell, show
the buyer the cost difference between propane and coal heat, it could help make the deal happen.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 8:27 am

I hate to say it but a coal stove usually detracts from the selling of a house. People hear "coal" and think "dusty soot everywhere" or "environmental nightmare" and get scared away. Best advice is buy a good one and take it with you or offer to sell it to the buyer after the sale.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 8:29 am

e.alleg, that may be a selling point in a few years. :D

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 8:57 am

Richard S. wrote:e.alleg, that may be a selling point in a few years. :D
I agree Richard. Since you can burn wood in any coal stove, I can't imagine it would actually be a detriment in selling your house though. Add value?-----Doubtful
Lower value?-----Doubtful

stokin-railroad

Post by stokin-railroad » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 9:12 am

added value or no added value,to bad for those that don't share others views.like others have said buy the coal unit that fits your likes and needs then if you sell offer for sale or take it with you.if new owner is not intrested,list it for sale here someone will be happy to own it.bottom line is it will save you a ton of money X years of use and comfortable heat.at fuel prices of today :mad: any unit would almost certianly break even in two to three years!

japar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hearthmate

Post by japar » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 5:18 pm

A couple of years ago when I was looking for a stove I found one on Craigslist. I called the guy he said the stove worked great and that his house was for sale and the listing agent told him to remove it. It was in his garage and he wanted it gone fast. Well that was 2 years ago and that was the opinion of the agent and guess what ,everyone has an opinion and guess what else everyone has ! Fast forward two years and that real estate agent probable heats his house with oil and has a deposite on a stove and is just praying he gets it before this winter. Times are changing. The house next door to me is for sale a twin to mine except no stove and is listed for 329K . Gee I wonder what mine is worth with a coal stove and a two year supply of coal. In reality it would be the opinion of the buyer making a offer. I was suppose to pickup a Hearthmate coal stove tomorrow in Worcester Ma an hour drive. Same as I have I wanted it for the grate . It was listed for $100 or make me an offer. All the arangments were made over the phone last Sunday it was mine I did not offer him less offered to send a check to hold it. he said just pay when I get there. Well I get an e-mail yesterday someone made an offer he couldn't refuse and its sold. In my opinion the guy is a a-hole but like I said times are changing. Two years ago if you listed a coal stove for sale in June you wouldn't have gotten one call.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 7:07 pm

It's like a pool. Some people see it as a relaxing activity while others see it as a needless chore.

djackman

Post by djackman » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Value added depends on where you are and the mindset of the potential buyer. Where I am I know it would be a negative - same for the 2 cords of wood and 4 ton coal bin in the side yard. But in a few years that will probably change.

Remember that realtors are only concerned with making a "deal", thus anything that does not appeal to the lowest common denominator they do not like.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 9:35 pm

djackman wrote:Value added depends on where you are and the mindset of the potential buyer. Where I am I know it would be a negative - same for the 2 cords of wood and 4 ton coal bin in the side yard. But in a few years that will probably change.

Remember that realtors are only concerned with making a "deal", thus anything that does not appeal to the lowest common denominator they do not like.
So, the very presence of a coal stove in the house would make it less marketable???
Why?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 12:07 am

gbig2 wrote:My wife and I own a four year old, two story, 2300 sq ft house near Hamburg, PA. The house is currently heated with a propane furnace. With the cost of propane going up we are considering installing a coal stove in our great room to heat instead of propane.
First question is, could I heat the whole house with a centrally located LL Hyfire 2 or Pioneer or Harman DVC-500 with power vent? I do not have a chimney. The stove would be within 15 feet of the main intake vent for the furnace so I'm thinking I could use the furnace fan to circulate the air throughout the house. Maybe even close the vents downstairs so the hot air goes upstairs? The house is 2x6 construction and is tight.
Second question is, we are planning on moving in a year or two so my break even point would have to be within a year or two. It will cost $2500 to heat with propane this winter. I estimate, from lurking around this forum, that a stove would cost $3000-$3500 and coal would cost $700 (estimating three tons as I burn 900 gallons of propane). So total cost would be $3500-$4000. If the stove would add $1000-$1500 of value to the house when I go to sell, I would break even.
I hate the idea of paying $2.72 a gallon for propane and would love to put a stove in just to keep the money in this country, etc., even if it means I only break even.
Any thoughts? Would I break even or could I even save money? It seems to me that, with oil possibly at $170/barrel by winter, having an alternative to oil or propane could be very attractive to a potential home buyer?
Being You live with in 20 min of coal country I would think it would Add to the value of you home
Now if you lived outside of the area or State then I would say it would not add anything to your value Being you can buy coal between 130.00 to 140.00 a ton Picked up at Breaker Propane would have to be .55 to .60 a gal to compare to a ton of coal At 2.72 a gal Coal would have to be 670.00
a ton to compare So you have lots of room with coal before Propane would compare to coal Even
if you got coal deliverd say 30.00 to 40.00 Per ton more at 160 to 170 a ton Propane would have to be 65 to 70 cents a gal I would go get a stoker stove and put it in you will Pay for it before You sell your house And if you Plan to stay in the area take the stoker with you when you move Here are a
Few Coal delivery guys you can call and get a price Per ton deliverd Or call the coal breaker's and get Numbers from them Don't wait to long coal is going up 15 to 20 a ton by 8/1/08 some are going
up on 7/7/08 Here are the Prices for the L.L. Stoves

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

djackman

Post by djackman » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 1:52 am

Devil5052 wrote: So, the very presence of a coal stove in the house would make it less marketable???
Why?
Not less marketable, but just like shag carpeting or 70's wall paper, it's the first impression to a buyer. There's not a single listing for "coal" or "coal dealer" in the local phone book here either :D

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”