K6 Rice or Buckwheat Coal Pros/Cons Also Is Reading Coalgood

JOE.G

Post by JOE.G » Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Reading is localy avaiable is it anygood? is there brands I should stay away from? Rice or buckwheat which is better to burn? should I mix it? thanks

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 3:16 pm

I had terrible problems burning Reading (Nut) coal last winter. (kept jamming my stove) Have no idea about other sizes but I would say try another brand if you can. (what stove will you be using?

JOE.G

Post by JOE.G » Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 6:15 pm

KA6 Boiler

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Perhaps someone with your boiler could recommend a specific brand that works well in it for you. I know in my Harman TLC-2000, Reading (nut) Coal is a horror show. :x

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 7:23 pm

My neighbor bought a 24 ton load of Reading pea-size anthracite last winter for his axeman anderson boiler, he said it burned to a fine powder and was the best coal he had burned in years. I guess everyone has had different experiences. If you have Reading available locally for a good price, give it a shot and see how it works for you.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Jun. 28, 2008 9:06 pm

You can swear by Reading or swear at it. My brother-in-law had some Reading last winter and did not like it. I never burned it because I can get good stuff closer to home, at least for now. I burn buckwheat and like it. My main reason for trying it was for the availability. Buckwheat is easier for me to get than Rice. This may not be the case for you. I liked the way the Buckwheat burned for me and kept using it ever since. Most people find rice coal more likely to make clinkers. Mixing Buckwheat and Rice or plain Buckwheat is usually less likely to make large size clinkers. Clinkers vary from load to load, it is the nature of the coal you have. Some coal makes clinkers more than others. Clinkers are only a problem if they prevent your stoker from working properly, otherwise they are benign. I would try the easiest to get size and brand first. By try I mean a few hundred pounds or a ton just to get a feel for how well it performs for you.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”