Need help identifying a Harman stoker, and problem.

Boozer
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman

Post by Boozer » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 2:33 pm

My daughter bought a used harman stoker stove, It will not push the rice coal, just grinds it. On the outside, looks just like mine, has the same Model number, ST8-VF8. On the inside, the Burner grates are level on Hers, mine angle downward on about a 22degree angle. Hers the exhaust is in the top sides of the inside, Mine draws from beside the ash pan. Mine has Verti=flow on the side of the feeder, Hers has nothing. looks like all the same parts on the outer feeder. I replae the alumum push block, its stroking about 1/2" but it wont push the coal across the grate. Any Ideas??? thanks.

Attachments

Resized_20181027_134618.jpeg

Hers

.JPEG | 98.2KB | Resized_20181027_134618.jpeg
Resized_20181027_140913.jpeg

mine

.JPEG | 115.4KB | Resized_20181027_140913.jpeg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 5:03 pm

Your's is a old one and her's is a dinosaur.

Linkage out of adjustment or loop or fork bent to be enlarged so that stroke is reduced.

How many "Dots" is it pushing?

Boozer

Post by Boozer » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 10:13 am

Hers doesn't have the guage "dots" on the side like mine does. I have the feed maxed out, just to try to get it to push the coal, but it doesn't, once the area in back of the grate gets full, It just starts crushing the coal and cant push it up over the grates. you can see the coal swell up, with each stroke, and then it goes back down with each stroke, the coal is bone dry. I was thinking of trying some buckwheat coal, thinking it may not compact as much.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 10:23 am

1/2" stroke shouldn't be maxed out, it should be capable of more distance than that. Getting back to McG's question....Does it have an oval or fork on the stoker drive and what is the opening measurement?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 10:38 am

Yes, suspecting there is a short stroke limitation from deformed or stretched fork.
This is located where elliptical gearmotor shaft bearing rides in.

Oldest models had a 'oval loop'...second generation was then a 'open fork'.
Either way it should measure 1-3/4" spread...any wider looses stroke travel.
Sometimes the over sized spread can be squeezed back to size with channel-locks.

Of course, Legacy Stove dealer should have new parts.

Boozer

Post by Boozer » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Sorry was away for 2 weeks. it has the oval fork, I just tore the entire feeder assembly out of the stove to smooth up the rust pits, thinking it was making it hard to push, I discovered that at some point someone must of changed the grate assembly to the second generation, it in no way fits the air box, the air box is wider than the cast grate assembly. there is no place for the rope to mate to, or a place for the front single bolt to go. the feeder assemble is 10.5" on hers, and mine is 9-1/4" wide. Is it just Refactory cement they use to seal up the feeder to the stove. It took a lot of chipping away before I was able to remove it.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”