Common coal and coal appliance misnomers we must learn to forget

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 3:58 pm

KLook wrote:
Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 7:44 pm
I own land, a skidder, 2 chainsaws, a woodsplitter, and a dump truck.......my wood is free......

Kevin
Interesting: I have that and figured it is the most expensive way to heat a home.
People seem generally shocked when I tell them that I sell firewood so I can buy coal to heat my house.

BTW: Katie HATES firewood and loves burning coal. (We do however burn firewood in the shoulder seasons like Spring and Fall)

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 3:59 pm

My favorite is: "You can still get coal?" I then start naming about a dozen places close by where it can be bought.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 7:59 pm

It was sarcasm NS......I actually did own all those things and still burned coal......

Kevin

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 7:02 am

KLook wrote:
Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 7:59 pm
It was sarcasm NS......I actually did own all those things and still burned coal......

Kevin
Hey I apologize and did not mean to offend you. I knew you were using sarcasm but did not come across that way with the poor way I worded my post.

I love cutting wood actually. To be out in the woods in the middle of winter. crisp air. Dropping trees, Winching them in. All that is great, but I prefer to burn coal.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 6:22 pm

No offense taken my friend. I used to cut wood every winter to detox from a summer of building for jerks from NYC and other east coast cesspools.

Kevin

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 7:12 am

I'm going to presume that many people feel that if one anthracite coal weighs more for a given volume than another anthracite coal, it is better coal by virtue of its greater weight (density).

In actuality, the lighter that anthracite is with respect to weight by volume, the higher its pure carbon concentration is likely to be, and the lower its ash and impurities are likely to be, and the greater its heat value will likely be.

My reasoning in this is that breakers float coal in order to allow for rocks and impurities to sink and thereby be separated and removed. So carbon must be lighter than rocks and other impurities. The more carbon, the better it floats. The more carbon, the lighter it is.

To be honest, this one has been debated heavily over the years, and I'm not certain that it has been definitively resolved.....

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”