Woodford Bros and Blaschak helping Dennis Coal customers

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Blaschak Coal » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 12:01 pm

After many years of supplying coal and coal stoves to the community south of Syracuse, Dennis Coal has closed their doors. While we at Blaschak Coal have supported their competitor at Woodford Bros. it is sad for us to see another company close after so many years of supporting the anthracite industry. Unfortunately it appears that they have left many of their customers short on commitments that they might have made. Click or paste the link below for more info.

https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/woodford ... 1513327914

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Blaschak Coal wrote:
Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 12:01 pm
After many years of supplying coal and coal stoves to the community south of Syracuse, Dennis Coal has closed their doors. While we at Blaschak Coal have supported their competitor at Woodford Bros. it is sad for us to see another company close after so many years of supporting the anthracite industry. Unfortunately it appears that they have left many of their customers short on commitments that they might have made. Click or paste the link below for more info.

https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/woodford ... 1513327914
That is a wonderful thing you guys are doing there Andy, Kudos!

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.

Post by Blaschak Coal » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Thank you Matt. Like your presence here we are also doing what we can to give the industry a positive image and to keep the anthracite heating industry moving forward. We were happy to assist Woodford Bros with their efforts in helping make a bad situation better.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Good on Woodford!! Dennis Coal has never been the same since the old man passed. I can only hope the Attorney General puts the screws to his widow & punk-ass son!!! This happened in MY part of the world!! :evil:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Oct. 13, 2018 10:44 am

Good on all of you.

BTW, it might help all concerned if Woodford were to add coal to their website. I just clicked the Woodford link in that channel 9 news report, looked all through the website, and there's no mention of them having anything to do with coal. To use the old expression, they're hiding their (coal) light under a bushel.

And, now I know why I've never found them in a web search of central NY coal dealers.

Paul

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Sat. Oct. 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Glad to hear that you folks are trying to help these people out. I have a friend that lives on Academy Street in Fabius. Although he doesn't burn coal I'm going to call him tonight to see if he knows anyone affected by that shyster.

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.

Post by Blaschak Coal » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Sunny Boy - Actually Woodford Bros. has two websites since they have two different businesses. They have http://coal.woodfordbros.com/ specifically for their coal business. These are people that are not shy at all to say that they sell anthracite.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 11:40 pm

It's nice to see that even in upstate NY you could pick up good bagged coal for $280 on a ton discount. I'm only 30 or 35 miles from some breakers. Local hardware stores and such around here charge $300 a ton for bagged on a discount. That was last heating season, maybe higher this year. I went back to bulk, even though bagged works out easier for me. Glad that Blaschak and others are helping get Anthracite out there.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 6:50 am

I dealt with Dennis Coal yrs back but now use POSO Coal in Dryden, NY (CNY)--they carry Blaschak

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.

Post by Blaschak Coal » Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 8:29 am

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 6:50 am
I dealt with Dennis Coal yrs back but now use POSO Coal in Dryden, NY (CNY)--they carry Blaschak
POSO Coal is another very good company that will pick up new customers and benefit from Dennis Coal's closing.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Nov. 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Just saw this post via link from another post.

Others in the industry stepping up to help others and throw a lifeline to those unsure where to go.

Good form!

dutch
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska Channing III

Post by dutch » Wed. Mar. 06, 2019 8:43 pm

the affects of Dennis closing were quite widespread, probably more than many realize.
years ago i burned nut in my Harmon 3 and i sourced that at Dennis, going in and
bagging my own nut coal and loading my truck/trailer, weigh out and head home to unload

in my current house, i put in a Channing 3 stoker, and i am further away from Dennis
so i started using other suppliers. I have used Woodford in the past, (had some business dealings
with tom), liked the blashak bagged pallets. then i found a closer supplier that delivered Blashak for
a very reasonable price (B&B pellets in Parryville). Last year B&B took on Reading bagged, and i had
a heck of a mess from water in the poly bags, made an absolute mess of my basement stairs and
storage area. the coal seemed to burn fine though.

this year, i tried B&B again, and was told that reading had improved their product, and they asked me to try it, so i bought a ton, and it was ok. no water like last year. they had mentioned getting Blashak in mid year, but they actually ran
out of coal early this year and didn't restock. i'm sure a bit of this was fallout from Dennis.

i tried another newer local guy outside Nelson ny, it was good coal, but i felt a bit pricey.

last week i picked up ton #3 from GTS, great price (250) but i'm on my first few bags and i'm
finding that in 24 hrs my ash pan is overflowing and my hopper is just about empty! hopefully we
are nearing the end of the real cold weather and this won't be a problem for the warmer temps
till i shut down in April. this makes me wonder what supplier he is using, as the coal smells different,
looks different, and is certainly not making the heat the reading and blashak did.

my son lives near Paco in cortland, and i may have him check on pricing, (he buys pellets from him)
i could pick up a ton while visiting g'kids sometime.

but yea, i think Dennis closing had a large impact around all of CNY some dealers ran out,
others opened up and others loaded up and welcomed the extra business

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 6:10 am

Hat's Off for helping to Heal The Mess that Others Left Behind!!

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.

Post by Blaschak Coal » Wed. Mar. 20, 2019 4:07 pm

dutch wrote:
Wed. Mar. 06, 2019 8:43 pm
the affects of Dennis closing were quite widespread, probably more than many realize.
years ago i burned nut in my Harmon 3 and i sourced that at Dennis, going in and
bagging my own nut coal and loading my truck/trailer, weigh out and head home to unload

in my current house, i put in a Channing 3 stoker, and i am further away from Dennis
so i started using other suppliers. I have used Woodford in the past, (had some business dealings
with tom), liked the blashak bagged pallets. then i found a closer supplier that delivered Blashak for
a very reasonable price (B&B pellets in Parryville). Last year B&B took on Reading bagged, and i had
a heck of a mess from water in the poly bags, made an absolute mess of my basement stairs and
storage area. the coal seemed to burn fine though.

this year, i tried B&B again, and was told that reading had improved their product, and they asked me to try it, so i bought a ton, and it was ok. no water like last year. they had mentioned getting Blashak in mid year, but they actually ran
out of coal early this year and didn't restock. i'm sure a bit of this was fallout from Dennis.

i tried another newer local guy outside Nelson ny, it was good coal, but i felt a bit pricey.

last week i picked up ton #3 from GTS, great price (250) but i'm on my first few bags and i'm
finding that in 24 hrs my ash pan is overflowing and my hopper is just about empty! hopefully we
are nearing the end of the real cold weather and this won't be a problem for the warmer temps
till i shut down in April. this makes me wonder what supplier he is using, as the coal smells different,
looks different, and is certainly not making the heat the reading and blashak did.

my son lives near Paco in cortland, and i may have him check on pricing, (he buys pellets from him)
i could pick up a ton while visiting g'kids sometime.

but yea, i think Dennis closing had a large impact around all of CNY some dealers ran out,
others opened up and others loaded up and welcomed the extra business
Dutch,

Thank you for the compliment on the Blaschak quality. We take great pride in our quality. Dealers and their customers are finding out this year that cheaper coal can be cheaper on quality. If you need any help locating Blaschak dealers please let me know. Thank you. Andrew Meyers-Blaschak Coal

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”