Penn Keystone Bagged Coal

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Has anyone dealt with this company. They want payment upfront and it would make me feel better if I knew someone here that has used them.

Thanks in advance.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 7:33 pm

I have wondered about Penn Keystone, and others on the forum have asked about them. Sorry I can answer your question except to ask you more questions. What quantity of coal have you discussed with them? My impression from their web site was that they dealt in full trailer loads of 20+ tons. Also, will they provide specific brands of coal such as Superior or UAE? Or do you just get whatever they have?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 9:02 pm

I spoke with them a few months back. They bring "good coal"(their words) .... would not tell where it's from & you do not get to choose. They are a broker and simply buy the cheapest stuff they can find & sell it to you at a profit.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 9:09 pm

I just took delivery from them. 18 pallets of bagged rice coal. It is bagged by Kimmil , and guaranteed no more than 7-8
percent ash. They got my check on Thursday afternoon. Coal came today. No way check cleared before order was loaded
and shipped. So, they are trusting my check. A good bet, but they did not know that. So, they are reputable. As far as
the coal, packaging is clean and tight, solid pallets. Coal is dry......texture in the bag is uniform. Smooth deal so far. I believe the coal will be fine based on the other aspects of the deal.
You may be able to buy from Kimmel direct, but I suspect price and terms would be the same. Oil spiked to 140. a barrel
for a little today. I feel alot better knowing I am heating my house sans oil this winter. Bottom line, I sent the $$ and Penn
Keystone sent the coal, clean and tight.
Communication with them is basic, and takes a bit. I think they maybe they are a 1-2 person office.....who knows?
You can send the check with confidence, they will follow through. I was originally going to get bulk, but the wife talked
me into bagged. There are only 3-4 suppliers of bagged that I could find.You have more options with bulk. $1000. more vs bulk, but neat as a pin, and retail ready. I plan to sell and burn. Good Luck!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 9:43 pm

From what I've read, Kimmel is good coal. You did well!

CanadianCoalFan

Post by CanadianCoalFan » Thu. Jun. 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Hello Paulie,
I have been burning Penn Keyston Coal last year ( rice ).There is notting wrong with that coal. :D . It perform ever better than the year before with Reading ( more black pieces no burning :( ). Doing buisness with them is very simple and easy. I sold 2 pallets to my neighbor and he was pleased with the results ( burning stove ).

PKCC may be a broker, but I belive there is only one way to stay in business , you need the right quality at the right price. Reading, even if they have there own mine, will buy coal from other little producers if it is cheaper per ton, then mining there own.

I am going with PKCC next year. Wy change a good formula ? :)

Canadian Coal Fan.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 1:11 am

Absolutely. If it is not broken, do not fix it! I am glad I did the research this winter and pulled the trigger on the coal and equipment. My Leisure line should be here late July, and my Keystoker KA6 first week of Sept. Plumber and permits are
lined up, so I will be warm. Just checked oil today. Spot price in NYC for #2 heating fuel is 4.89/gal That is the price
off the boat in NYC. Add in the the distributor and the retailer you are looking at 5.50 for COD and 6. for full service. This
is at the end of June! Add some cold weather and toss an errant camel poop in , 7-8/gal is not a reach! :o

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 3:48 am

Paulie said that the bags from Keystone said Kimmels on the side. I've read mixed reviews on their coal. Some were very bad. When I called penn he said the rice coal is deep mined and gave me these specs:The bagged rice is running .66 sulfur, 7-9% ash, 8% avg., 5 vol, 13,300
> BTU dry, 2800+ F AFT.

What do u guys think?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 12:53 pm

I burned almost 4 tons of Kimmel bagged nut last year. Just bought 2 1/2 tons more today (2 pallets) to top off my storage space. I have had some bags with more crumbly pieces than I like (are they called "fines"?) But the Kimmel has all burned well, seemed like less ash and just as much heat as the bags of Blaschak I used, and Blaschak is supposed to be the premium stuff.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Jun. 27, 2008 5:55 pm

I talked to a few breakers and it seems that Kimmel gets its coal from a few places. Summit sells larger sized coal to them and probably other breakers too and also Meadowbrook is a supplier of rice. Meadowbrook is rumored to sell Culm coal which is coal that was dug 75-80 years ago and is no longer as good as it use to be. Refuse coal is coal that has been dug many years ago and is now being reclaimed. One member said they liked Kimmel coal but they were burning the larger sized coal but I haven't heard of any reviews of Kimmel rice.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”