New Administration

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Curious about what peoples opinions are, concerning our new president, and his desire to get coal mines up and running again. I see him campaigning in all the appropriate states with coal, and wonder if he's having a positive or negative effect. Or are his policies being blocked, as is many of his others? Can we expect any differences in prices or availability of anthracite this up-coming season?

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 6:22 pm

On the positive side I and my wife took a Hazleton ride .I passed Stoktons breaker an on the walls is a Huge Trump Sign .Jack

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Several statements I would like to make. Just remember you asked for it.

I watched the bituminous coal industry in this area get torn to shreds under the Obama regulations, and sometimes I can’t figure out how these guys managed to survive and see it through. Make no mistake, it was an all out War on Coal and anyone who tells you it was not did not spend a moment in this industry.

Since the Trump administration took over, and Scott Pruitt lowered the boom on the EPA as should have been done long ago, there is more coal moving around these parts now than there was previously for many years. Shade Creek Preparation Plant, a massive bituminous operation is now open and cleaning coal again for the first time in 4-5 years. When we quit hauling coal out of there 10 years or so ago they averaged around 1,200 trucks a day through the gate and the hoppers were fed by a 994 Cat loader. As Obama/Lisa Jackson entered their finest years the gate was locked at the end of the driveway and the power turned off.

There are several strip operations shipping coal as well as 2 new deep mines that opened within the past 2 years. Rosebud Mining is operating a new deep mine at Cresson and the Acosta mine was given National press coverage at its opening due to Trump ending the war on coal. These permits were activated many years ago but were left in waiting until the market was favorable and the crippling regulations rolled away.

The biggest news is a brand new preparation and cleaning plant being built by LCT Energy just off route 160. This is the first brand new prep plant to be built around here since the 1970’s and is expected to begin preparing coal by the end of this year.

We get several industry magazines here and nearly everyone connected to coal has favorable opinions of how Trump tackled the EPA and got these guys working again. There is still much work to be done. Once you tear out the infrastructure... I.e. rail lines and plants, it’s very hard and takes a long time to get those things running again.

I tried to keep this as non-political as I could but there is just no other way to say it... sometimes the only thing you can do is call it what it is. Anyone who does not acknowledge Obama/Jackson’s War on Coal as something that was intended to shut the industry down permanently needs to spend sometime talking to those who actually work out here to keep the lights on.

What did you expect me to say? This is a coal forum ya know.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 7:48 pm

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 8:01 pm

These examples that I’ve provided do not necessarily only depend on steam coal needs for electrical production. Do not forget also that with the steel tariffs there is anticipated to be a rise in domestic steel production and that will drive the market for metallurgical coal needs.

The new LCT plant that I mentioned is supposed to be preparing coal for steel making and I’m certain that Corsa’s Shade plant would already be preparing a certain amount of coal for metallurgical use.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Great news CJ. Your response looks very favorable. Thanks for the input.
Franpipe, it appears that 1st Energy just got too deep into the mud, B4 the new administration could save them. As for the Nuclear plants, I just assume see them all deserted. Coal and oil is proven, and hopefully will continue in my lifetime please. Whatever happens after that, so be it.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 8:08 pm

What I took from that piece was not that coal and nuclear can't compete with "renewable" energy, which we all know is haphazard and inconsistent, but that NG is undercutting it. For how long? Are guys like BB hoping that some miracle will happen in power storage and generation by wind and sun....lol, before the NG runs out? These are the articles he posts about coal and nuclear filling for exemptions...but it is not because of renewables that they are doing it.....The larger loss in closing them down is not the system itself, but the highly trained work force that runs them.

Kevin

franpipeman

Post by franpipeman » Tue. Sep. 04, 2018 11:17 am

franpipeman

Post by franpipeman » Tue. Sep. 04, 2018 3:55 pm

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Wed. Sep. 05, 2018 4:21 pm

All of these decisions will be economic and any energy source that cannot

compete on price will be moved to the side to let the most efficient producers

win all the contract bids .

The distribution is the real key in this cost of electricity it has to connected to

a modern grid . In the case of the Dunkirk Coal Generating plant in WNY the

plan was to change to natural gas but the infrastructure needs too much

upgrading to make the project feasible, so its now abandoned.

The electric rates have to allow enough profit to be able to supply reliable

energy at all times, with timely upgrades as needed .

BigBarney

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”