coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I received this PM
Hi. Coalnewbie! I was reading a thread about coal pricing and noticed you live in Chester. I live over in Washingtonville and was thinking of switching from wood to coal. I have always gotten wood for free up till now but am getting tired of the gathering, splitting, stacking, restacking thing.
I am looking for something that I can put right where my wood stove sits which is now in my finished basement. Wondering if you could suggest a brand? I have to heat about 2300Sq ft.
Thanks!
Mike Bushey
Hey Mike, I placed this in the public domain as the experts here may help you more. If you are still in doubt I will drive over and assist you. Yep, it's what we do. Pics of the fireplace. Is the house well insulated. etc. How will you store the coal ... we are here to help.

Simon

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 9:32 pm

There are a lot of options, but it really depends what the end goal is, and the budget.

If the current wood stove does a good job of heating the house, a hand-fed coal stove of a similar size should do a good job as well. Like the wood stove, it would not require electricity - and most are very quiet.

Mike - some of the best looking and high performing coal stoves are antiques. Let us know if that is something you would be interested in. If not, there are plenty of modern options as well. I have a few Hitzer stoves in the family and have been very pleased.

nybushwacker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by nybushwacker » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks for your help so far. The end goal is saving money vs oil and time vs wood. I have been getting free wood for about 10 years and am getting tired of the gathering, cutting, splitting, stacking then move again grind. The time involved is outweighing the savings at this point.
Budget is probably $1500. I found a two year old Hitzer 30-95 for $1000 that I think will fit right where my stove it snow.

Current woodstove is a rated at 55,000 BTUS. It does a good job of heating the house. The house was built in 1850s, stone foundation in the basement that is exposed on two walls which I know isnt the best situation but it is the character of the room. I gutted the house when I purchased it. All new insulation but given the age of the house we still have some draft here and there.
My chimney is lined and runs up thru the middle of the house and the heat coming off the chimney heats some of the rooms on the third floor. I am thinking the heat from the coal stove will do the same thing.
Storage- I plan to build a coal bin to store the coal outside the house.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Welcome to the forum!! Watch out if you hang with that horse farmer guy....he'll have you buying 5 or 6 antique coal burners in no time! :D I'm not saying having an antique coal stove is a bad thing, just the quantity involved tends to bring questions about needed therapy! :lol:

Many of us have moved from wood to coal for the very reasons you mention.

Antique base burner... :yes:
Hitzer...... :yes:
It's personal preference.

Given the brief description of the house, sqft and location I would lean toward the 50-93 rather than the 30-95. More available BTU's are more better IMO! You will probably find the exhaust of the coal stove to be much lower in temp than the woodstove so it may not give off as much heat to the upstairs.

Be patient in trolling for used stoves and if you are willing to drive a little you will find a good one.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Mike, the chimney will be a lot cooler when burning coal. Stack temperatures from coal stoves are much lower than your average wood stove. Also no creosote to worry about!

I prefer the 50-93 Hitzer over it's little brother. Firebox is a better design, and I think the size is a better match for your house.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 2:43 pm

With the HITZER 50-93--some properly placed floor vents should take care of your upper floors--plus a ceiling fan kept on low for circulation.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Aug. 17, 2018 5:22 pm

You see Mike already you are getting great info including be careful of crazy horse farmers. Do you know here your nearest coal dealer is? The Hitzer is a good unit. Easy street is just around the corner. You will never go back. I would point out that the first Hitzer I bought had a warped grate probably due to incorrect ash pan emptying. Before you plonk down that $1000 get a good camera inside the stove and send the photo to this board. Good luck.

nybushwacker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by nybushwacker » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks to all for all of the suggestions.
The Hitzer is 2 years old and the current owner has the receipt. He is selling because he is moving south.
It has the blower. Right now my thought is I may grab it and keep looking. If I find a deal on a 50-93 or similar stove, I will sell the 30-95 and get the bigger model, but at least I am set up for year 1.
$1000 for a 2 year old stove plus the piping which I dont need and some coal. I would think I could sell it for $1000 fairly quickly.
Coalnewbie the nearest coal dealer is Cornwall Coal. $235 a ton.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”