Bagged Coal Direct

bmac

Post by bmac » Tue. Jun. 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Hey guys,

My brother who owns a trucking company is leaning towards hauling coal specifically in the near future. Both for dealers & private individuals. For given reasons, he isn't too hot on Blaschak coal and was asking me about other brands. He's burned coal for several years, and apparently prefers other brands of coal I guess.

I had mentioned Superior, and told him that there were others available other than Blaschak, but I couldn't remember a couple of the other names, or where coal could be purchased directly from the mines. Right now he is setup with flatbeds & van bodies, but presently doesn't have a dump body for bulk loads. He plans on picking one up in the near future from Ohio, but for now it's bagged coal only I guess.

Anyone know of companies that sell good anthracite bagged truckloads to the average individual ?.............just thought I'd ask......

Thanks gang....
Bob

Titus

Post by Titus » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 2:09 pm

You can do bulk coal with a flatbed if you go to some trouble.

Center Farms up in Easton, Maine uses flatbeds to backhaul coal. They have side panels that stake into the flatbed, looked to be no more than 3' tall. After unloading their regular load, the driver heads to PA and sets up the sides, and the breaker drops in 22 tons. Back in Easton, they take off the sides. Coal spills off the truck, and they use a front-end loader to scrape the truck clean. Then, they pull the truck out and the loader moves all the coal into a pile. They have a huge concrete floor to do this on.

Whether this would work for anyone else.... it works for them. Since many Maine truckers would have to deadhead home anyway, they are essentially getting free freight on the coal.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”