Why do people complain about electric prices????

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 8:36 am

At this stage of development electric cars are a rich boy's play trinket. When they get truly competitive with the petrol driven stuff I will be down there managing the oil reserves under the sod and won't be able to use one anyway. Mike

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 12:45 pm

It's that much more demand on the electric systems, which drives up costs per KWH, and in high demand areas will increase likelihood of brownouts and rolling blackouts.

In my area, the power company is pushing to reduce electric load by offering rebates on energy star rated appliances. We're over our hydro power limit and having to supplement with expensive gas fired power. That drives up the electric rate for everyone, whether or not they are an EV or ICE driver.

Paul

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Can you imagine what will happen to EV 's in the event of an EMP, such as can occur if a solar flare hits earth's atmosphere head on. A dead vehicle and very costly circuit panel repair or replacement would be my guess.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 12:45 pm
In my area, the power company is pushing to reduce electric load by offering rebates on energy star rated appliances. We're over our hydro power limit and having to supplement with expensive gas fired power.

Paul
As an aside, I have a customer that owns and operates a data center. Data centers are big time users of electric obviously. During hot spells the local utility will pay them $$$$$$ to take the DC off the grid and run on generator power. Last week they ran Wednesday and Thursday from 1:30pm to 6pm all on diesel generators. This particular site has 8 2mw generators. Depending on the load they each use about 210/gph.

Carry on.

Lakehouse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac/Jotul 715
Coal Size/Type: Antracite Pea
Other Heating: Electric

Post by Lakehouse » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Ladies and gentlemen,
I feel that I need to put my 5 cents in!
I may have missed if simeone already remarked, that it’s not the price of electricity it self but the career fees that eating us customers alive.
Here in Connecticut, I pay 1.6 times over of what the electricity cost itself. This month my bill was $168.20
Electricity was about $60., but the carrier fees were over $100 bucks.
I live alone, and trust me, I am very cautious of electric spending. It was installed by my parents, you shot the lights when leaving the room and overhaul to be very aware.
Also don’t forget, back in 1902 electricity was a new technology, and for new technology you alway pay a top premium. Today it’s an old hat.
I do not wish to addendum anyone, but it’s difficult to pay your bills when they just give you no brake.

Rm

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 2:56 pm

lsayre wrote:
Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 12:58 pm
Can you imagine what will happen to EV 's in the event of an EMP, such as can occur if a solar flare hits earth's atmosphere head on. A dead vehicle and very costly circuit panel repair or replacement would be my guess.
I have tried to research the EMP question and have just enough information to scare the *censored* out of me. Dead EVs would be the least of our problems. How about a dead power grid over most of the country that could take a year to repair, but couldn't be repaired because 90% of the vehicles in the country had blown computer circuits, which couldn't be repaired because the plants producing parts couldn't run without the power grid? No electricity pretty much everywhere, no fuel deliveries, no water systems functioning once locally-stored fuel was exhausted, ditto for medical services, no food delivery to hundreds of millions of people due to no trucks running -- in the course of a month our country (and much of world civilization?) would be toast. Homeland Security says blandly, "The Federal government lacks comprehensive, national-level geomagnetic storm risk management assessments and strategies. Additionally, no standing entity exists to coordinate cross-Federal government geomagnetic storm risk analysis,"

Here's an introduction to the subject (from Homeland Security) that will make you wonder why we even HAVE a federal government, to ignore issues like this:
https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/rma-geomagnet ... storms.pdf

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 3:30 pm

rberq wrote:
Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Here's an introduction to the subject (from Homeland Security) that will make you wonder why we even HAVE a federal government, to ignore issues like this:
https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/rma-geomagnet ... storms.pdf
Great link! Thanks!!!

An event such as the 1859 event would cripple us today. The statistical probability estimate is for 2.88 of such events to occur every 1,000 years. Or 1 roughly every 350 years.

But I recall being told that the probability of a nuclear power plant failure was such that they would occur once every couple thousand years. Then we had Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukashima., all within ~45 years or so.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Wed. Sep. 05, 2018 4:31 pm

EV's took 5 years to reach 1 million vehicle , now able to sell 1 million

every 6 months . By next year with more available probably able to

sell 1 million every 3 months , only constraint is the supply not the

demand.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/tota ... gs.y313U5w

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/electric-vehicles ... 0-iea.html

There is no stopping the march to all electric vehicles from trucks , buses ,and private vehicles.

They are simply better all around.

BigBarney

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Sep. 05, 2018 5:28 pm

BigBarney wrote:
Wed. Sep. 05, 2018 4:31 pm
They are simply better all around.

BigBarney
How so? Do tell. Sell this retiree on an affordable and simply better all around EV.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Sep. 06, 2018 9:02 am

would not need an EMP to create total chaos...
There are about 13 major electrical intersects with large transformers/equipment...
The replacement time line is well over 30 days...
If just these local sites are damaged...
Same effect as EMP...
But local infrastructure is still intact...
The more you know...
The scarier it gets...

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Sep. 06, 2018 9:24 am

CapeCoaler wrote:
Thu. Sep. 06, 2018 9:02 am
would not need an EMP to create total chaos...
There are about 13 major electrical intersects with large transformers/equipment...
The replacement time line is well over 30 days...
If just these local sites are damaged...
Same effect as EMP...
But local infrastructure is still intact...
The more you know...
The scarier it gets...
Yes it is! With all the technology and all the money this country spends it seems like we would be better prepared then we are. Whats just as sad is our almost complete reliance on electric for everything, even communication and our vehicles. Worse case, everything would be at a standstill with most people not having more than 2 days of food at home. Hopefully it wouldnt be a worst case scenario.

Maybe they could pass out all that govt cheese and powdered milk the govt has in storage if it happens :lol:

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Sep. 06, 2018 4:20 pm

warminmn wrote:
Thu. Sep. 06, 2018 9:24 am
Maybe they could pass out all that govt cheese and powdered milk the govt has in storage if it happens :lol:
No way to deliver the cheese, with no vehicles. No clean water to reconstitute the powdered milk. Tens or hundreds of millions starving in short order -- billions if world wide. Cannibalism very likely. Killing and looting on a vast scale by desperate people. The more technologically-primitive the country, the better off they would be comparatively.
warminmn wrote:
Thu. Sep. 06, 2018 9:24 am
Hopefully it wouldn't be a worst case scenario.
The Homeland Security evaluation has some mealy-mouthed talk like "can't plan for it because we don't know how bad it will be." Disgusting evasion of responsibility. Hardening against "worst case" is probably not that much more difficult than hardening against "sort of bad".

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Sep. 06, 2018 4:30 pm

they can deliver the cheese with cannons or drop from military planes that still run as i remember how hard that cheese is. Im sure it would arrive undamaged :lol:

There will always be some vehicles that would run. It wouldnt disable them all. We had a discussion here once about it. Its the grid thats more in danger, and those in large cities that would more/less be trapped in.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”