Why do people complain about electric prices????

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Jul. 16, 2018 8:05 pm

franco b wrote:
Mon. Jul. 16, 2018 6:54 pm
I don't understand the hostility toward electric cars. I don't want one at this point, but they are viable and will be more so at some point as batteries improve. Lessening demand on gas is a good thing to keep prices down. A mix of fuels is good as each evolves.

Electric cars still have no long term, heavy duty use, so remain unproven, even if Tesla survives I suspect an avalanche of service problems as they age.
My hostility is not necessarily towards the electric cars as much as it is those who do not listen to any kind of reason, even when shown facts and common sense. I have stated multiple times that I am open to the idea that electric is indeed coming but I again stand very firm on my point that it is not ready YET. The affordable cars are not there YET. The infrastructure to support one of these being charged in every driveway every night is not there YET. My all electric tri-axle Tesla coal hauler is not here YET.

At this point he has done nothing but kill sympathy for his cause with just about everyone here, no one really cares anymore except those just now joining these conversations.

It’s an open forum, so carry on. I’m not here to censor anyone, just trying to make sure no one is disappointed with reality.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 5:58 am

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Jul. 16, 2018 2:15 pm
AMEN! :clap: The only thing you missed was the added insurance cost which would be very high and the high yearly licence plates in those states that charge by the cars value.... and maybe a tow truck a couple times for when it runs out of power.
I also missed that essentially any to all repair costs (including routine) would be factors higher than for mainstream vehicles, thus driving any marginal owners who had overextended their ability to pay for the vehicle to begin with into a potential bankruptcy situation, even for mere routine maintenance.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 9:05 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Jul. 16, 2018 7:46 pm
Yup, go see your local golf course!
:lol:

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 1:08 pm

I always state facts and some opinions by others.. Then we can all choose ....Find other facts to support you case...

Facts from 1915...$4 for utilities, including fuel, light and ice for the ice box (which people used before electric refrigerators).

https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/a ... -years-ago

https://singularityhub.com/2017/02/15/how-the-wor ... 9il00leugl

Cost of Electricity ... Electric is a luxury in 1915....

http://www.in2013dollars.com/Electricity/price-inflation

You have to remember the dollar is down .. No more real money is minted only debt certificates ...

Silver and gold were the only real money as per the constitution now all we have is currency that

is debt not convertible to real money .

BigBarney

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 2:29 pm

The 1st 2 links were real interesting but contradicted each other with several money figures being different. My electric bills have went from $25ish to $80 since 1997 and I can assume they could triple again in the next 20 years or at least double.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Cost of Electricity ... Electric is a luxury in 1915....
They didnt even have electricity in my home area in 1915. It was put in when they built up the roads to get troops in as they worried about a German invasion in 1944 or so. The cost was lower because no one used it if they had access to it. Lights maybe but all other uses were not invented or available. I worked in homes that still had acetylene generators and gas fixtures throughout the house. AND those were the wealthy people also. Many people ran of drycell batteries or had small windmills (gasp) way back in the day. But it supplies dc voltage for special needs.

Kevin

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 5:22 pm

The house I grew up in still had a couple swiveling gas lamp fixtures down in the damp and crumbly sandstone basement. And a sawed off tree trunk as its main beam structural support post. My parents paid $6,800 for it when I was about 8 years old.

It also still had (and likely to this day still has) cloth wrapped knob and tube wiring with no grounds, and 60 amp service with screw in fuses, which my parents eventually had upped to 100 amp service and a breaker box. It was originally heated with coal, and it had a coal bin in the basement, but by the time we moved in it had a NG furnace. The neighbors to either side of us were still burning coal with stoker furnaces, and did so into my teens.

Oh, and the walls were all plaster and lath. And the windows had ropes, pulleys, and big counter weights.

Those were the days. Total poverty, yet happy as a lark.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Today and now is somebody's "Good Ole Days"...how bout that! ;)

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 9:06 pm

McGiever wrote:
Tue. Jul. 17, 2018 6:29 pm
Today and now is somebody's "Good Ole Days"...how bout that! ;)
Not so fast, maybe in 25 years.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Jul. 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Tesla are asking suppliers to give back. Does that include cash repayments on bot employment. Wait until the CA dipchits get lights out at 120* heat index. Could be this afternoon. That will be a good time to pick up a cheap Tesla. Moonbeam has already asked for everybody to turn off the lights.... How about unplugging the EVs? That massive solar and wind investment is really helping us. Look at how it is transforming the nation.

US Electricity generation 2017 year to date (EIA):
1. Coal 31.6%
2. Natural Gas 30.8%
3. Nuclear 19.6%
4. Hydro 7.4%
5. Wind 6.3%
6. Biomass 1.4%
7. Solar 1.3%
8. Geothermal 0.4%

hahahahaha, clueless.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jul. 24, 2018 5:51 pm

i thought of electric cars today when they mentioned it being 120 degrees. You are probably right CN. Clueless.

I suppose their AC units might shut off for 3 minutes before sunrise tomorrow for those with non-peak rates too.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Jul. 25, 2018 7:20 pm

franco b wrote:
I don't understand the hostility toward electric cars
Amen. You’d think BB was asking people to give up driving, the reactions are so negative. A hundred years ago all you guys would be cursing the telephone. :lol:
franco b wrote:
... even if Tesla survives I suspect an avalanche of service problems as they age.
Toyota Prius has been very reliable. I’d expect more trouble from gasoline engines, and all the related components, than from electric. Maybe Tesla is pushing the envelope and will be more troublesome as you expect.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Jul. 25, 2018 8:25 pm

rberq wrote:
Wed. Jul. 25, 2018 7:20 pm
Toyota Prius has been very reliable. I’d expect more trouble from gasoline engines, and all the related components, than from electric. Maybe Tesla is pushing the envelope and will be more troublesome as you expect.
The trouble is that Tesla has been deliberately made complex and everything hinges on that central touch screen. Heat and wet over time kill electrical circuits. It's a car designed by nerds for nerds.

It now appears that the target price of $35,000 can't be met; that production costs are higher than that, and even doubtful if increased production can narrow that gap enough. So it remains a niche car committed to and financed for popular use that will probably fail.

A true "people's car" will probably be made by one of the major makers. Musk is a visionary but that term could also be defined as dreamer. The high tech of Henry Ford was not just production methods but in the use of alloy steel to make the car lighter and stronger. Musk focused on the gee whiz aspect.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Sat. Jul. 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Does anyone here own an electric car?

David

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jul. 28, 2018 4:24 pm

I saw my first Tesla Model S today, parked at the local ACE Hardware.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”