Piling 22 Tons of Coal-Need Advice

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Jun. 23, 2008 7:15 pm

I'm about to order 22 tons of rice coal. My plan is to dump it in my driveway and then I would need to move it to the backyard. There is no way to get a truck back there. I was thinking of using a Bobcat. I'm wondering if I would be able to pile the coal high enough with a bobcat so that my coal pile isn't 2-3' tall. I would like to do 4-6' but I'm not sure if that is doable with a Bobcat. I was also thinking of using fencing for the sides of the coal bin and laying down a tarp for a floor. Any advice is appreciated.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jun. 23, 2008 7:28 pm

Depends what size bobcat you plan to use, the one we use at the farm will lift approximately 8' high.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Jun. 23, 2008 7:41 pm

The problem is water runoff and what to do about it.

If you have the room for a pile thats good, but you have to worry about slides of material
when stacking it as a slide will bury and suffocate you with little effort so please keep the
ngle of repose(outside angles of the pile-just like a trapezoid) under 20 degrees.

You will move a couple of hundred buckets of material and it will get old quick.

Pile it three foot high and one or two bucket widths wide, buy a cheap blue tarp for the
ground cover(you don't want to losse the coal you paid for in the grass do you?) and tarp it
securing the tarp with concrete block and a good commercial tarp for the top-not the cheap blue ones!!!!

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Jun. 23, 2008 8:02 pm

The BObcat is pretty standard like the ones you see landscapers using. 8'ft would be great. Not knowing high I can pile the coal is also a problem for figuring out the size of my bin. I also have a trucker but I found him on the Net so he could drive away with my coal. I guess I need to use a referenced driver but that is becoming hard to find. I called one guy who was mentioned here and he was 500.00 more.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Jun. 23, 2008 8:50 pm

When you pile coal it will naturally make a pile. The sides of that pile will be about a 30-35 degree angle. In order to be 8 feet high, it will be about 26 feet wide. I think, about that. I just got a bunch of coal & put it in a bin. One side is open & that side is about 30 or 35 degrees. You might get it steeper, but touch it & it comes down.

Attachments

pile 8 feet.jpg
.JPG | 43.7KB | pile 8 feet.jpg

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jun. 24, 2008 2:46 am

The trouble is you can't utilize the full 8 foot because you have to drive into the pile to get it that high. You're going to get a lot of breakage doing that and you're not going to get into it very far anyway. The only solution I can think of is using a small conveyor belt... more expense.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jun. 24, 2008 8:16 am

I've moved and stacked my coal [pea size] with a front loader tractor, with a lift of about 12'. Richard is right,, you have to drive way into the pile each time to use the height of the lift.. the angle that Freddy shows is also correct, so you need to build sides on a bin and dump the coal over the sides.

I'm not saying you can't move the coal with a Bobcat,, it just won't stack or stay on a small footprint like we would like it to, it flows like water.

Greg L

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”