Considering coal.....

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 1:48 pm

It is true that most stoves that claim "wood or coal" burn one (or the other) poorly by today's standards. The one exception I found is the DS Machines "Comfort Max 75," which burns coal perfectly, but (if you insert the wood burning plate over the coal grates) burns wood better than most wood stoves (92% efficiency, secondary combustion, etc.). I believe it is rated at 70,000 BTU's, which is in the moderate-sized category--up to 2000 sq ft (depending on the house). You can Google it for specs. They may call it a coal stove now because of new EPA numbers, but it is the same stove that met the previous EPA standards with flying colors. I found wood too much trouble at my age, and too expensive here.

However, many coal stoves of older designs can burn wood rather well--the trick is to somehow control the air so it does not burn too fast and hot from air under the wood. The Vermont Castings cast iron stoves were all made to be used as open fireplaces (for wood) as well as stoves, even the coal burners, though (like real fireplaces), that is not a very efficient use of wood. I imagine it is better than a regular fireplace though--the iron is bound to radiate more heat into the house than a fireplace does. My VC manual says to burn wood for a couple of weeks, with small fires, to season the new stove, and all coal stoves will burn wood fires to start the coal burning.

Bituminous coal and wood burn in more similar ways (unlike anthracite), so if a coal stove is set for bit coal (which needs less air), it should also burn wood, at least better than an anthracite stove would. You could even mix them, Mine has a plate that converts from bit to anthracite. But I can't get bit coal here and don't want all that smoke and sulfur anyway. It reminds me too much of the afterlife. So I leave it set for anthracite and just burn wood on special occasions for the special effects.
bobdog2o02 wrote:
Fri. Jun. 08, 2018 6:45 pm
Hello and TIA for any and all advice.

I currently heat with cord wood using a catalytic stove, a Blazeking Princess Ultra. I use about 3-4 cords per year. I scrounge my wood and only pay to maintain my equipment; hydraulic splitter, 3 chainsaws.....

Recently we have found that we will be having a child and i'm not sure I will be able to dedicate the time to scrounge wood and process it.

The question. Are there any good coal stoves that can run cord wood efficiently and what is the difference between a stoker and non-stoker.

I do have a dump trailer and live not far,1.5hr, from Shamokin PA where i can buy anthracite at reasonable pricing....

Thanks again.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Richard, often they are called "dual fuel" in other ways. Mine is dual fuel, meaning anthracite or bituminous. Others mean pellets or corn. Old potbellies burn coal--or wood, fast and hot.
Richard S. wrote:
Sun. Jun. 10, 2018 7:11 am
Just to clarify you can't burn coal in most wood stoves. You can burn wood in a coal stove but it may not burn as efficiently. Also if you find an older unit labeled dual fuel make sure it's from a coal stove manufacturer.

I believe they have all dropped the dual fuel label because of EPA regulations but it's still the same exact unit. These were best suited coal stoves for wood because they will have things to accommodate wood like over fire air. The Harman/Legacy TLC for example.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 5:57 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 1:48 pm
… all coal stoves will burn wood fires to start the coal burning.
Most people use charcoal.
charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 1:48 pm
I can't get bit coal here and don't want all that smoke and sulfur anyway. It reminds me too much of the afterlife.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 8:16 pm

cabinover wrote:
Fri. Jun. 08, 2018 7:00 pm
In short, no. There are stoves that claim to do both but the general consensus is pick one, wood or coal. They will burn but not as efficiently as a stove designed for just wood or coal.

A stoker usually has a hopper and pretty much self-feeds. Load the hopper, take ashes out every couple days. A non-stoker is simply a stove that has grates designed to burn coal. It's also known as hand fed. You will have to attend to it like your wood stove only not as often.

I think most stokers utilize rice sized coal. Most others will use pea, chestnut, or stove sized coal.

Someone will be along to correct anything I've said that isn't exactly right. I'm a stoker boiler guy with a hand fed stove on the side so that's what I know.

Welcome to the forum. Once you've used the coal, I'm betting you won't go back to wood with the exception of shoulder months. It seems to be the way folks here end up.

Congrats on the child! (For $20 I can tell you how that happens so's to avoid it in the future) :lol:
I disagree, a hand fed coal stove does well with wood, however a wood stove will not do well with coal. many that market as both are actually wood stoves.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”