Electric Power Plant News

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. May. 10, 2018 11:32 am

Power demand for NY - New England is declining....... Why ???

"The grid operator for most of New England reports it expects to see declining energy use and peak load over the next decade, largely due to efficiency and behind-the-meter solar. "

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/solar-efficiency ... ity%20Dive

"New England has been rapidly growing its rooftop solar, and those new resources are showing up in changing load shapes. One day last month, consumers in the region had a higher nighttime peak than during the day."

Maybe they will have to let more EV's charge in the daytime to balance the load ,

or go to meter that automatically connects the EV's when an excess of energy is

available.

New York has the same ...

"New England's assessment mirrors the dynamics in the New York ISO, where the operator recently issued a report predicting a declining load for the next decade — mostly due to distributed solar, and to a lesser extent, energy efficiency."

BigBarney

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. May. 10, 2018 1:27 pm

People are tired of high electric bills.

I've swapped over most of the lights in my house to LED and noticed a sizable drop in my monthly bill.

Starting last Feb 1st, I added another coal stove. Since then, I've seen that it not only dropped my Winter use of electric for heat a substantial amount - enough that the stove will pay for itself within about a year- it also made it so that I didn't need to supplement at all with oil heat on the coldest days.

Plus. the past few years we've gained a few more coal dealers here in CNY and they all seem to be doing well. The newest one here in town sold out a couple of months ago on every size except stove coal. So that may also be contributing some reduction in electric demand ????

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. May. 10, 2018 7:03 pm

I've swapped over most of the lights in my house to LED and noticed a sizable drop in my monthly bill.

Ditto my son in Maine. I will add the sucking sound of people exiting the NE for warmer climes and cheap power like here in the south. Maine has had an aging population for decades.

Kevin

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. May. 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Kevin just nailed it in my opinion as to the sucking sound.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. May. 10, 2018 10:36 pm

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. May. 11, 2018 5:47 am

Mostly went with LED just this week, waitin for next NYSEG bill to see any difference.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Fri. May. 11, 2018 6:47 am

I belong to a Electric Co-Op & last week we got a letter saying that each member will be receiving some LED bulbs in the mail shortly. They are asking people to put them in the most used lighting in their homes & are going to do a study on how much it will change demand. It will be interesting to see the results as in this rural area it's pretty much a controlled study as most will comply. I've already changed over a lot of my own & should be getting 10 more LED shop lights on monday or Tuesday for my garage.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. May. 11, 2018 7:38 am

What kind of bulbs were you guys using before to notice such a drop in electric rates? Ive used those 13w curly ones for years and just cant see how dropping it to use less watts will save me much with the extra cost of the LED bulbs included (unless free of course). I rarely have more than 1 bulb on in my house, and maybe thats why. Heres a link I found easily to kind of explain what Im talking about:
https://www.moneytalksnews.com/heres-when-led-lig ... ight-idea/

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. May. 11, 2018 8:04 am

I been using the curly ones for years & am curious as to rate drop with all these LED bulbs. Time will tell I'd suppose. Best doin then readin info on a link.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. May. 11, 2018 8:11 am

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. May. 11, 2018 8:04 am
I been using the curly ones for years & am curious as to rate drop with all these LED bulbs. Time will tell I'd suppose. Best doin then readin info on a link.
:lol: True, true. Just seems like most here want a link. When I figured it out using math, I just couldnt see it saving me money, unless the bulbs are free of course. But if you have multiple lights on you might notice it saving a buck or 2 a month on your bill.

I remember going from the old 60 watt ones to the 13w ones and that one was noticeable. Im a stingy bastard with leaving lights on.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. May. 11, 2018 8:21 am

I had a bunch of the CF "curly" bulbs for all around this 17 room house. But couldn't use them anywhere it got cold, such as the basement every time I go to the coal bin, and outdoor lights. Or, anywhere I needed a bulb that would be bright as soon as I put it on and did not want to wait minutes for it to reach full brightness. Such as walking into a dark room just to get something and then leave. There's not much savings using CFs that way. Or, where I needed a lot of bright light for reading/working with old eyes.

And I don't buy the LEDs just for the electric savings. They also come in 5000k brightness, which is brighter than any of the different brands of CFs I've tried, but at about half the wattage of a comparably wattage rated CF.

The 100 watt equivalent 5000k LED on my back porch lights up more area than any brand of 100w equivalent CF bulb I tried. It lights up more distance of the yard, sidewalks, and driveway than even a 100w incandescent did. And it only uses 18watts. That's about half what the 100w CF uses and which only lit up about 2/3 the backyard distance of the LED.

I don't leave a lot of lights on either. But what I'm seeing in the drop in my monthly electric bills since switching to all LEDs, the savings is paying off at least one LED a month in winter when lights are on longer. And if they last near as long as they say, I'll save even more. But even if they don't I'm paying less each month and I can see much better than I did using the CF bulbs.

Paul

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. May. 11, 2018 9:15 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. May. 11, 2018 8:21 am
I had a bunch of the CF "curly" bulbs for all around this 17 room house. But couldn't use them anywhere it got cold, such as the basement every time I go to the coal bin, and outdoor lights. Or, anywhere I needed a bulb that would be bright as soon as I put it on and did not want to wait minutes for it to reach full brightness. Such as walking into a dark room just to get something and then leave. There's not much savings using CFs that way. Or, where I needed a lot of bright light for reading/working with old eyes.

And I don't buy the LEDs just for the electric savings. They also come in 5000k brightness, which is brighter than any of the different brands of CFs I've tried, but at about half the wattage of a comparably wattage rated CF.

The 100 watt equivalent 5000k LED on my back porch lights up more area than any brand of 100w equivalent CF bulb I tried. It lights up more distance of the yard, sidewalks, and driveway than even a 100w incandescent did. And it only uses 18watts. That's about half what the 100w CF uses and which only lit up about 2/3 the backyard distance of the LED.

I don't leave a lot of lights on either. But what I'm seeing in the drop in my monthly electric bills since switching to all LEDs, the savings is paying off at least one LED a month in winter when lights are on longer. And if they last near as long as they say, I'll save even more. But even if they don't I'm paying less each month and I can see much better than I did using the CF bulbs.

Paul
I still use the old traditional style in my kitchen and basement and know what you mean about how the curly ones are crappy for short use areas and outside.

Nice details about what your using for LED's. I'll have to research this a little more with LED bulbs the sizes you described. I had been wondering about outdoor bulbs mostly as they are my biggest KW user bulb wise.

Ive wished for years they'd do more about the trickler items, the ones sucking juice 24 hrs a day as they really add up in a month and there is little we can do about those except unplug things. Shut off your lights at night and look around and those little red lights show the waste.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. May. 11, 2018 9:42 am

Those little red lights don't pull much power.

This evening go look at your electric meter and look and see how fast the readings change. Then shut off everything you normally do at night, make sure the refrigerator and any electric water heaters are not running, and look again.

My meter is the digital readout type. I get bored waiting for the lowest number to change with just the lights of a couple of bedside alarm clocks, the answering machine light, and a computer serge protector with two on lights.

Paul

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. May. 11, 2018 10:52 am

The red lights dont take much power but the items do. the internet crap is likely the worst for most people, but it all sucks at least a watt or two or 3, 24 hrs a day, almost every electric item that is plugged in, modern stuff. Each 2 watts running all the time is over 17 KW a year so it does add up, multiplied by how many items we have. Kinda wipes out things we do to save KW.

I have one of those digital readout things I can plug in to each item to test them and thats interesting to do, even if they are off.

Id be pretty bored waiting for my meter to change (also digital) unless my water heater came on but I understand what your talking about completely. It was neat to do with the old spinner type meters and I have done it (damn we must have been bored :lol: )

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Fri. May. 11, 2018 12:21 pm

The curly bulbs are junk , you need all LED lights and you will save on your

electric bill . Remember that lighting is only a small part of most bills and

the other uses are much greater , like if you have electric water heating ,

well pumps , an EV , and any other large user of electric . I have a GE heat

pump water heater and this will save a large amount of electric especially

if you get OFF PEAK rates and only run in that time period with a large enough

capacity tank . My tank is 80 gallons.

BigBarney

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”