Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 10:26 am

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 12:01 pm

https://www.npr.org/2012/07/09/156375910/black-lu ... a-solution
Annoying that its on the rise, that it wss possible to lower the incidents of it.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Seems like it should be a fairly simple fix. Increase ventilation and require respirators. If OSHA or MSHA only consider effective exposure limits at 6 hours with respirator, then the mine should need to shorten required shift time to safe exposure levels of 6hrs.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Wren wrote:
Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Annoying that its on the rise
"Annoying" is a pretty mild word for the lung in the third picture. :?
I don't even pour coal in my garage without my shop vac rigged to catch the dust cloud. Reading the two discussions, it sounds like mighty big vacuums and ventilators are needed in the mines, plus personal respirators that work without keeping the workers from working.
Since the safety rules were somewhat tightened during the Obama administration, the knee-jerk response of trump's industry-approved lackeys is to roll them back. Sorry, to "review" them. Does anybody seriously expect the workers will be better protected after a review by those folks?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 4:07 pm

RB, Obama didn't tighten regs. Him & his cronies tried their best to KILL the industry. Have you gotten out & about lately??? Trumps roll backs have nothing to do with personal safety issues. :(

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 4:25 pm

I was trying to be polite. They had it down. I can only think of expletives my children use, really.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 5:34 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 4:07 pm
Trumps roll backs have nothing to do with personal safety issues. :(

Of course not.
"... a new black lung epidemic is emerging in central Appalachia, even as the Trump administration begins to review Obama-era coal dust limits."
It seems pretty obvious that miners need to be safer. Do you expect them to be safer after a review by an administration focused on reducing regulations that cost money for his rich buddies?
http://ohiovalleyresource.org/2017/12/19/mine-hea ... dust-rule/
What it comes down to, in the end, is that you trust a president who lies every time he opens his mouth. And I don't.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 6:25 pm

WE must be readin different links. Oh wait, you posted it. RB, you're so anti-Trump, it's hard to find any concern for the miners on your part--as long as you can bad mouth the President & that's sad. Nothing has been carved in stone on safety improvements.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 7:34 pm

ANY blacklung in the miners today is from previous presidents. This is an expected finding by Liberals as a reaction to Trump. I suppose the earth is warming also?

Kevin

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 7:46 pm

rberq wrote:
Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 5:34 pm
Of course not.
"... a new black lung epidemic is emerging in central Appalachia, even as the Trump administration begins to review Obama-era coal dust limits."
It seems pretty obvious that miners need to be safer. Do you expect them to be safer after a review by an administration focused on reducing regulations that cost money for his rich buddies?
http://ohiovalleyresource.org/2017/12/19/mine-hea ... dust-rule/
What it comes down to, in the end, is that you trust a president who lies every time he opens his mouth. And I don't.
A revue may tighten regulations, yet you presume to assume the opposite.

You seem as biased as the FBI in jumping to conclusions. Less watching CNN lies might be helpful.

How do you know the President has rich buddies in the coal industry?

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Riiiigghhht the default Democrat answer is always more regulations, how 'bout it?

I have to sit through mandatory 8 hour long classes every year on "safety regulations". It's just the good old Democrat way to cost corporations more money by issuing fines if you don't cut your toenails properly, throwing more money back to the Feds that could otherwise be used for real safety measures.

Safety is as much of a personal responsibility as it is corporate, State, and Federal. All the Federal overreach in the World doesn’t gain anyone a single day if said miners don’t follow simple common sense protocol. Many times over, these people know full well how to do their jobs safely without some bureaucrat bullshit breathing down their backs. If someone sees something unacceptable then it is also his personal responsibility to take it to the next level.

There is a reason MSHA officials are not well liked by workers out in the field... ask me how I know. At our most recent class in January it was made known that MSHA now has the right to fine me something to the tune of $1100.00 just for warning another driver on the CB radio that there is an inspector present. How’s that for regulation...? You want to try to explain to me that this is nothing more than a money grab? This stuff changes by the day and often the inspectors I talk to can’t even keep up with the new overreach... 2 of them have told me through the years it is nothing more than that.

Black lung is not acceptable, I do not condone any safety shortcuts that lead to this disease. I understand that’s where the root of this discussion began. But don’t preach to me about regulations, many of these are nothing more than a Democrat utopian dream that often enough comes down to nothing more than harassment of miners, plant workers and drivers. There always needs to be some form of leadership but I see mining hazards daily that all the regulation in the World will not make a damn bit of difference.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 7:41 am

I still have my withdrawal card from the miners union, I doubt if many here that are crying about health regs. have worked in hazardous conditions. I tend to believe that much of the current fault is the miners but in some areas unhealthy work is the only work & it's not only hard to leave your home but there aren't many (if any) places where the grass is greener. Once a condition is known any company should be responsible for notification & providing a safe work environment if at all possible, cost as always passed on. Some choose to raise prices to just below that of those in compliance & if caught the fines are laughable at best. Just a opinion from someone that has been there & done that!

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 7:59 am

The Industry has the ability to minimize or stop black Lung. I have met some with black lung In Portage PA not a fun thing to have and it can be prevented .SAMHILL thanks for the concise wording.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 9:03 am

400 coal miners with black lung is bad..... but.....

Over 10,000 die annually in the USA in auto related deaths..... because someone was intoxicated with alcohol...

Where is the Democrats wrath & rage over this much larger issue ?

WE NEED MORE FREAKING REGULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget the fact that human beings have a choice in things they do or don't do.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 9:16 am

I can only speak from my experience... OSHA regs dont do any good if they arent followed. Supervisors usually dont care if you follow the regs or not as its your life (completely understandable). What makes supervisors follow regs is after their workers comp company gets after the owners as comp insurance companies are the ones paying for the accidents. Ive seen that happen too many times to count as I dealt with a lot of chemicals, explosion hazards, and silica in my life.

likely the switch to dealing with more silica is one of the underlying causes and they probably need more efficient ventilation and respirators. When the workers comp companies get tired of paying bills then the companies will have them, and force employees to wear them. All the laws in the world will never force it to happen. Money (increased comp cost) will.

Workers also need to be as careful as they can..... usually if you ask an employer for some safety device they will buy it but most employees wont ask. Employers cannot read minds. I never had a problem with employers when I asked for that stuff except for 1 place. Whatever Trump does one way or the other probably wont change it. I do feel bad for these workers as it was probably preventable but it was an unknown issue until recent years.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”