Winter Holding Fast - February 2018

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 7:53 pm

The long range forecast for February shows that winter isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. According to the prediction the great northeast is set up for a snow event every 3-4 days, whether it's significant or not, and well below average temperatures. I hope everyone has their coal bunkers with good supply.

https://weather.com/forecast/national/news/2018-0 ... er-compnay

Locally, here the temps have been yo yo-ing quite severely. Yesterday's high was 43 and today's high was 21, going down to 8 degrees tonight. Every day I have to check the forecast so I don't get caught with my pants down stretching the burn too long for the heat demand. Some days I visit the furnace once, the next day twice. Either way, I sure am happy to be burning coal!

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Man yesterday was cold ,the gauge said 20 but it felt like Zero ,i guess cuz of the wind. At least it warms up every couple days.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 1:57 pm

I am looking forward to April 1 on the Weather Channel. That is when they tell us all the things that went wrong in their forecast for last winter.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 3:05 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 12:15 pm
Man yesterday was cold ,the gauge said 20 but it felt like Zero ,i guess cuz of the wind. At least it warms up every couple days.
Yep, I've had my thermal socks on the last couple days while delivering the bread.

I run the furnace roughly 180 days per season. According to my coal tracking record last heating season, I tended the furnace twice in one day for 24 of those days. The other ~156 days the furnace was tended to only once per day. TODAY of this heating season marks the 24th day of tending twice in one day and it's only the third day of February. I'll have many more "twice in one day" tendings before this heating season is over. It's not just my imagination, we've had some cold days!

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Nice and sunny today so lots of FREE btus on the sunporch courtesy of that big furnace in the sky. Stove idling most of the day.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 2:01 pm

Sloppy wet snow today and it will freeze solid tonight for the next couple days. Drains at the back of my house are full of ice and the water is backing up. Only thing i could think of is to pour salt on it to melt it. Damn rain and ice ,id rather snow any day.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 5:16 pm

We got a generous portion of snow here in Olean NY today. I just came in from clearing the parking area and around the mail box. I'm lucky to have a friendly neighbor that has a tractor with a blade. He makes a few passes up and down my 700 foot driveway. ;)

It's still cold enough that I'm tending the furnace twice a day but after tomorrow it will moderate enough to go back to single daily service.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Total ice at the top of the driveway. Did wheelies with the skid steer. No, I was not happy.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 5:16 pm
. I'm lucky to have a friendly neighbor that has a tractor with a blade. He makes a few passes up and down my 700 foot driveway. ;)
No snow clearing equipment with a 700Ft driveway.? As long as your young and need the exercise i guess its Ok. Im looking at some equipment for next year. Gettin too old to fight with it anymore.

Turbogeno
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pocono
Hand Fed Coal Stove: VC Vigilant II at home and a military surplus tent heater at camp
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water baseboard and DHW

Post by Turbogeno » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 5:56 pm

10" and counting. Won't stop till early AM. At least up here it's nice and fluffy. Big piles but easy to push around. Tacoma for rough cleanup and ATV to finish up.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 6:00 pm

We've got about 5" of Ohio white here. I had to run the snowblower yet again. All of the schools around here were closed today due to the weather.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 6:01 pm

k-2 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 5:40 pm
No snow clearing equipment with a 700Ft driveway.? As long as your young and need the exercise i guess its Ok. Im looking at some equipment for next year. Gettin too old to fight with it anymore.
Not at the moment. I've destroyed a snow blower and the hydrostatic transmission on my lawn tractor trying to keep it cleared. I rebuilt the transmission but not doing that again. I recently purchased another snow blower to just use up around the house/parking area. We have 4 wheel drive vehicles to get thru it between clearings.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Lee, snow removal equipment is kinda like stoves--ya gotta get the right one so ya don't have to be screwin around with it all the time. 700 ft. huh??? :)

k-2

Post by k-2 » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Not at the moment. I've destroyed a snow blower and the hydrostatic transmission on my lawn tractor trying to keep it cleared. I rebuilt the transmission but not doing that again
Thats good to know cuz i was planning on possibly getting a rider with a plow. I guess pushing snow is not one of their strong points, unless you get a larger heavier model. May be cheaper to hire that one out rather than wreck yur equipment.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 07, 2018 8:00 pm

We had a good foot of new stuff. There's a couple younger neighbors that have 4 wheelers with plows with drives equal to yours Lee & they do well. I just priced some of them & I'm not sure if I paid those prices for my house & land!!! :(

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”