Coal Power Plants

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Mar. 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Coal is not demising anywhere. It's like calling global warming skeptics, global warming deniers, it is trying to induce bias. Coal and solar have attributes that could be discussed. There is nothing to hide. Please review my reality video again, your not paying attention. You know like BB.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 8:10 am

" Never argue politics, religion or other zealots. I't s just a waste of time."
Wise words.

David

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 12:48 pm

True but we like to chat with other coal burners and you are no exception.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 1:12 pm

I will burn coal as long as I can get it.

I burn mostly Bituminous and if too many power plants

shutdown many of the mines will follow with no market to

sell to. Anthracite Coal will continue to be available in Eastern

PA for a long time to supply the local market .

This is the type of operation it will affect...

http://www.consolenergy.com/operations/pennsylvan ... ng-complex

They process 8,200 ton per hour to the customers specification .

BigBarney

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 1:37 pm

David, I'm not sure who you are saying are the zealots here. I have read the IPCC appendices and materials from Kids vs. Obama/Trump and as an analyst I would say that they have assumed, not proven, that trends in global mean temperatures are determined by anthropogenic emissions. The IPCC methods and the lawsuit text specifically assume that absent anthropogenic effects, global mean temperatures would be stable, a proposition that is ruled out by scientific studies in well-established disciplines IPCC chooses to ignore or minimize. Ice core data, for example, show a "sawtooth" pattern of alternating upward and downward temperature trends long before use of fossil fuels (a pattern that is consistent with the existence of significant natural feedback loops). Neither IPCC nor the lawsuit allow for even the possibility that we currently are in the same type of natural upward trend that has followed every time in the current interglacial period that global mean temperatures have been as low as they were in the recent "Little Ice Age". With data in the public domain, you can see for yourself that the rising temperatures climate alarmists use to recruit support for their draconian anti-carbon agenda are in fact indiscernible from natural trends we should be expecting from scientific evidence of our climate history.

You have been candid about your lack of personal knowledge regarding this subject matter, and I understand that many well-meaning people have been swayed by the IPCC narrative. I would ask, though, that if you really can't defend the substance underlying your belief, that you refrain from characterizing people with different views as "zealots". For myself, I'd prefer "analyst".

Mike

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 1:45 pm

BB, glad to see you touch base with your bit roots. From some of your more recent posts I wasn't sure you were even the same guy. I guess anyone from Ripley, NY would reply by saying "believe it or not!", so I'll save you the trouble. :lol:

Yes, some App coals have lost a lot of ground in power generation, and it probably cuts into options for some bit burners. I hope you continue to have reasonable alternatives.

Mike

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Whenever we talk climate change you are correct that the natural cycle of the

earth is an extremely long one , and short term trends are a bip on the chart.

You need a very long term chart with recorded accurate data which we don't

have , so these long term charts are best guesses with the slim data we have.

Mankind has some effect but earthquakes , volcanoes ( land and sea) ,and

plain weather like forest fires have an even greater effect.

I have about 30 tons in my bins now and hope for resupply this summer.

BigBarney

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 2:22 pm

BigBarney wrote:
Thu. Mar. 15, 2018 2:06 pm
Whenever we talk climate change you are correct that the natural cycle of the

earth is an extremely long one , and short term trends are a bip on the chart.

You need a very long term chart with recorded accurate data which we don't

have
That's one of the reasons I like the ice core data. You can get enough data points to see shorter-term patterns, and they very rarely are stable.

Mike

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 12:48 am

Isn't methane the most severe emission related to climate change? There are estimated to be thousands of active underwater volcanos spewing methane into the atmosphere and likely warming the oceans. Perhaps a million more currently inactive. Then there's livestock and us adding a contribution.

CO2 has got to matter to a lesser extent and maybe the one we can do something about. We've become electrical junkies. If you take a view from almost anywhere from urban areas to extended suburbs, the entire country is lit up all night. I have personally heard few people object to the insane waste of energy to light up the world. Of course, some lighting is needed, but what a crazy waste. I don't care how much of them are sodium vapor or LED. Then there's the impact of just the digital business on world energy use. Think mostly servers and cell phones. All that data transfer, wifi routers and chargers make one smart phone a bigger annual draw than a modern refrigerator. Just one data center ( server farm?) has the power draw of 180,000 homes.

Before people can be forced to eat raw meat or hitch a ride on my Old order Mennonite neighbor's wagon, someone ( me too) better start turning their cell phone and their business sign off for a few hours.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 7:22 am

Yes Hank methane and volcanoes. Despite this the liberal lunies find a perfect correlation with their latest hate product which is now CO2.

Then have been so many "evil" products. Remember the freons (chloro/florinated propellants) and the Montreal Protocol. We had ruined the ozone layer and they had perfect data on that one to.

So no we have a crippled HVAC industry, ruined gas, urea choked diesel engines that cost a fortune to keep running etc,etc, etc. The latest stupidity is battery run cars and trucks. The planet will be covered in high maintenance wind and solar just in time for whatever comes next (pick your guess here).

The UK right now is a shining example of liberal stupidity. They shut all the coal mines and coal power stations, build a fragile NG pipeline to Russia only to end up with a power crisis and a very cold winter (a normal cyclical thing). Now they have a spat with Putin and if he turns off the gas they are in trouble. We need a mix of energy products and coal is part of that one.

I had better stop now or I will be called a zealot (again). "I have seen our enemy and it is us"
Last edited by coalnewbie on Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 8:30 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 7:22 am
Yes Hank methane and volcanoes. Despite this the liberal lunies find a perfect correlation with their latest hate product which is now CO2.

Then have been so many "evil" products. Remember the freons (chloco/florinated propellants) and the Montreal Protocol. We had ruined the ozone layer and they had perfect data on that one to.

So no we have a crippled HVAC industry, ruined gas, urea choked diesel engines that cost a fortune to keep running etc,etc, etc. The latest stupidity is battery run cars and trucks. The planet will be covered in high maintenance wind and solar just in time for whatever comes next (pick your guess here).

The UK right now is a shining example of liberal stupidity. They shut all the coal mines and coal power stations, build a fragile NG pipeline to Russia only to end up with a power crisis and a very cold winter (a normal cyclical thing). Now they have a spat with Putin and if he turns off the gas they are in trouble. We need a mix of energy products and coal is part of that one.

I had better stop now or I will be called a zealot (again). "I have seen our enemy and it is us"
Wow !!! :yes: :clap:
Lots of good truths in that post. :)

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Mar. 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Simon you made a perfect argument in that last post... on second thought nothing can be argued against it because what you said stands on its own.

The very most important sentence in that entire liberal smack-down is that we need a mix of energy products and coal is a part of it. This is my problem with all the green energy solutions all along. A country that is stupid enough to hitch its wagon onto one energy source deserves everything that happens thereafter.

Sadly, we are well on our way to finding out.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 5:42 pm

In areas with low sunlight , solar electric will never be the one source but a cog in the

supply , no one source can supply 100% without newer technology.

Here is one way to light roads is shown here especially on less traveled

roads.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5226533/N ... -cars.html

This would save in the wee hours of night .

BigBarney

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Mar. 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Bring back the lamp lighters ...

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Mar. 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Why are the power producers asking for more subsidies to stay in business...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ohio-utility-se ... eid=YAHOOB

These power plants are all stranded assets that will have to be written off the

books of the generators . No states will allow them to be put into the rate of

customers , to adjust the power cost up to subsidize bad investments.

BigBarney

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”