UPS can I make a huge one?

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 3:23 am

The other day a truck hit our power line and we were down for a while. I scrambled and got the generator in time to save the AK180 fire but lost the DVC and Pocono. Of course, this happens in a snow storm during record cold. Murphy was an optimist. I'm to old for this chit.

Marketplace UPSs are expensive and I tire of changing batteries that do not have much power and short lives. So the question is as Ebay fills up with fairly good (80% life left), very cheap used EV batteries of enormous power that they can barely give away. How can I simply build a UPS that has some serious balls? No, I can't afford to phone Tesla!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-85kw-Tesla-Model-S- ... gE&vxp=mtr

but I note

https://www.batteryjunction.com/panasonic-ncr1865 ... -3400.html

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Chevy-Volt-Lithium- ... Xv&vxp=mtr

e.g. Xantrex and a bank of Nissan Leaf batteries for example. Ebay is full if this stuff CHEAP. I see 2biz had 4 car batteries in his AK 110 thread but that is still limited. My own Powerwall very cheap is perhaps now doable? I'm ready.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 11:17 am

This is very possible and will become common as a way to recycle EV batteries , they have a new

life for many years in less power demanding applications. If you had a powerwall and some of

these used batteries you could backup your house completely.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/26/tesla-powerwalls-p ... s-vermont/

This has the ability to seamlessly switch from one power source to the backup seamlessly ,

and back that you would never notice.Tesla already done it on a large scale in Australia.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/19/tesla-battery-save ... ant-crash/

In Australia they have a lot of solar power to recharge batteries with Sun and wind.

BigBarney

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 2:46 pm

I see the Australia application in the sun but how do you store solar power in VT during the 364 day winters. VT has 120megawatt of solar installed at enormous cost. So at the end of this month a raffle will be held and some lucky guy gets to charge his cell phone. Travel over to Wyckoff NJ where the local brandy new school project that set them back $5mm and that included a solar field is not producing bubkis and the silly liberals that dreamed this xhit up are pi** ed off.

We are on different budgets but a few parts from smashed EVs coupled to my Lister direct injection CS/6s that will run on just about anything veg oil, soybean oil I (thanks Mikasa, local Jap restaurant that has terrible food), motor oil etc. However, cheap alternator from India means it can only feed a battery of some sort. These reject hybrid/EV batteries will get even cheaper as the 1000s of hopeful vendors on ebay are finding out. Only broke horse farmers want this stuff. Somewhere in NJ is a giant warehouse of old Prius batteries that no one has a clue what to do with. They are trying to export them but no luck.

Another giant eco disaster waiting to emerge. Oh well, back to building my stagecoach prototype.

Quote from one vendor ... I'm in the Tesla used parts business, these batteries are inspected and only sent out if they're in perfect condition. I normally have a pallet full of batteries in my shop. I limit eBay inventory to keep me out of trouble. if you need more batteries then I have listed, send me a question asking me how many I have at that date. I do not purchase flood cars and will not be selling any batteries out of flood cars. Most cars average manufacturing date between 2012 and 2015, mileage varies but usually is under 50,000 Miles and sometimes only around 25,000 Miles. All batteries include the connecting bolts and rubber protection caps. These batteries are often used for electric car conversions, homes and campers. Two of these batteries in series will give you a 48 V system.

If you want a million he will supply cheap! hhahhhhahha, I slay myself.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Mon. Jan. 08, 2018 3:30 pm

I think you missed the point , you have to have a way to connect this to your house to automatically

switch when the need occurs , and especially when your not home to start and manually switch to

the generator. The main control part will also keep it charged up from any source , solar,wind or from

the power company at off peak rates TOU , and there is minimal maintenance.

The Nissan leaf for example has a 30 KWHr battery pack at 360 Volts, Tesla about the same 375 volt.

Leaf batteries have been made since 2011 so some of those will be coming on the recycle market.

The control is the key and has to be approved for connection to the grid and you can add more

batteries as available.

BigBarney

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”