I Have Coal!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 23, 2008 6:04 am

The AA's are known to have the problem with fines, we have a Van-Wert which is similar in design to the EFM's. Fines are not a problem, the 55 gallon drum we use as a hopper has never been removed from my recollection in 25 years so there is undoubtedly a huge pile of them directly around the auger. Once the pile forms the fines won't accumulate but instead be pulled through the auger. Not sure if it would actually cause an issue or if the EFM's have a problem with them. I know the Van-Wert doesn't.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Jun. 24, 2008 6:06 am

chabbo wrote:Greg L:

Is the removable block of wood that piece perpendicular with the floor adjacent to your auger tube? Or is it the block of wood directly underneath the auger tube that you remove, or both? Can your auger tube be removed or moved from side to side to any extent for better cleaning? Or is it in a fairly fixed position. Also, how big is the hole (and what is its shape) from your coal bin leading to the auger end? So does your auger end feed coal from the little pocket formed by your wood box on the concrete floor or is it sitting on the platform of your bin that is shown in the picture?

I will be installing an EFM 520 boiler and I am not sure if the auger is removable for me to clean out the end or if I need greater access than you describe for the EFM 520 model. Anyone know? Also, I understand EFM runs on rice coal. Are there greater or smaller problems running augers using rice? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know where I can get a detailed design of an optimum coal bin for use by an EFM auger. The EFM manual shows a picture of the dog house, but I am not sure if this is the design I should follow or if there are more suitable designs to make clean outs easier.

Manny
There is a clean out lever on the efm for fines when the fines reach the burning Pot you are to Pull the lever everyday for 15 seconds the lever is connected to a rod that is bolted under the Pot that has holes in it when you pull the lever it opens the holes up and dumps the fines in your ash tub
You can use a 55 gal drum for a hopper or feed out of a coal bin As for removing your auger tube there are three to four set screws on each end that hold the tube in Place on the coupling loosen them up pull the tube off The auger will stay inplace The Auger is 1 1/2 " diameter and the tube is 2 " diameter On the 520 & the 350 The 700 900 & 1300 are 2 1/2 " diameter Auger & 3 " diameter tube The short Auger screws into the long Auger 1/2 " By 13 left hand thrends

chabbo

Post by chabbo » Tue. Jun. 24, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks Coal Berner -- That is helpful.

Manny

chabbo

Post by chabbo » Tue. Jul. 01, 2008 11:02 am

I have coal too! :D I just received this morning 24 ton of Summit rice coal. Looks good, but then again, what do I know since I have never seen anthracite coal before this morning nevermind burn it. Hey, one step at a time. I used Double Run Trucking to haul it here, the same company that Freddy used to haul it to Maine. Very good, reliable and helpful. I would recommend them without question. I couldn't locate the coal pile where I wanted because the rig was simply to big, but I did get it where it is out of the way yet convenient to retrieve. I understand Summit is going up in price (additional $20 per ton beginning July 7, 2008).

Now I wait for the delivery of the EFM boiler and its installation.

Every step in this conversion from oil to coal is an adventure. :roll:

Manny

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”