Global Warming, Is It a Scam?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 16, 2008 11:23 am

Very long but excellent read:
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Under the last section starting on page 30 this I find pretty significant:
A petition compiled by a past president of the National Academy of Sciences has attracted the signatures of
more than 19,000 American scientists. All agree the science of climate change, and man’s role in it, is
uncertain. The Petition reads in part: “There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon
dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic
heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific
evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant
and animal environments of the Earth.
That apparently is an older document, check out this site: http://www.petitionproject.org/
31,072 American scientists have signed this petition,
including 9,021 with PhDs
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Jun. 16, 2008 11:46 am

Right where I live in Maine was covered year rould by ice 4,000 years ago. Yes, four thousand, not 40,000 or 4 million. A mere 4,000. We humans had little or nothing to do with the fact that we are now somewhat warmer. Maine is called "The Pine Tree state". We have trees here that are 500 years old. What most people don't realize is that before 500 years ago, there were no trees here! If you want to see what Maine looked like 600 years ago, go up into Canada. Take the road that goes from Quebec and head due North. Go 600 miles and during the summer you'll see what Maine used to be like. Just scrubbrush and short bushes. We humans had little or nothing to do what that.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Jun. 16, 2008 3:35 pm

The global warming issue is one of a time perspective. There is no question that the globe is getting warmer over the several hundred years that we have good weather records. All the world's weather agencies from all countries agree on that. What is unclear at least to a reasonable scientific accuracy if man has anything to do with it. When you look at the accuracy of determining the world's temperature centuries ago, it's just not very accurate. Open to a lot of honest scientific debate. What is also very clear is if global warming continues at it's current rate, NO MATTER WHAT IS CAUSING IT, there will be dramatic changes in store for humans. Rising oceans, arid cropland, etc. In the Chesapeake Bay, islands that once had thriving fishing based communities are slowing shrinking because of rising waters. Predictions based on current temperature trends can be reasonably accurate, for ten's of decades or a century in the future. The big worry is if it turns out that man's activity is causing it, reversing it will also take a long time. Also it may not be reversible, like putting all the water back in the dam after it broke.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Jun. 16, 2008 5:05 pm

The climate is always changing. Weather records, ice cores, sediment, tree rings etc. show long up and down cycles of global climate change. My firm belief is it is in response to solar activity and definatley not mans activity. We have been in a period of increased solar activity fo decades but are now on the down side of the activity cycle. The globe has actually been cooling since 1998. Of far more concern to me than global warming is the onset of an ice age. By the way, that's what the green weenies were fretting about only about 2 decades ago. It was the cover of time Mag one week.
Human induced global warming and the fear mongering that goes woth it is a scam.

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Jun. 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Nothing but a scam! Just a way to get into your wallet. Just think at one time Greenland had large settlements and grew crops.

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 11:16 am

I don't believe its a total scam. The weather patterns have Definitely changed since I was a kid. In areas where they normally get severe weather, it seems to be getting worse little by little. The hurricane season should prove very interesting this year...............

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 7:05 pm

http://www.weatherquestions.com/Roy-Spencer-on-gl ... arming.htm

Would this guy lie to you????
759-al-gore-fire.jpg
.JPG | 34.2KB | 759-al-gore-fire.jpg
Gore54.jpg
.JPG | 113.7KB | Gore54.jpg

ken

Post by ken » Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 1:05 am

it's a scam. I had to fire the oil boiler today , it's cold in here. June 17th hummmmm.

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Fri. Jun. 20, 2008 9:16 pm

Before global warming, the big liberal The sky is falling fad was the spotted owl. Remember it could only live in a certan forrest and in certain trees. It ended only when someone found a nest in a K mart sign. :roll: Before that was the great ozone layer scam. We will all need to put on an inch of protection and we must stop using our air conditiomersor the atmosphere will burn up. :cry2: Then the hole closed up all by itself. before that was the Amazon jungle. I'm sorry the new code word is rainforrest. the Earth will become barren wasteland and we will lose all of our oxygen.and the cure for cancer. That scam ended when a past leader of greenpeace finally admitted that the rainforrest grows back faster than they can cut it down. don't forget Acid rain. Can anyone help me with some other ones there are dozens. After global warming has run its course, what will be next? save the cockroaches and flies. Driving on a road kills millions of bugs every year. Yes even your toyota prius does it to. :no1: :nono: We need to build a rat sanctuary next to your property.IF IT SAVES ONE ROACH IT'S WORTH IT!!!

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Jun. 20, 2008 9:51 pm

Global Warming! Thats so five minutes ago! The new buzzword is climate change. What the hell is that? The climate changes constantly. Now Al Gore wants to stop climate change. Great! Stop climate change in spring or fall but that a-hole will most likely stop it in the middle of summer when my coal heat will be worthless and I'll be a slave to PPL for the rest of my life running the AC nonstop. Funny how if your conscience bothers you how you can send some of Al's buddies some money and they will plant a tree for you or tell some third world peasant to refrain from lighting his camp fire for a few days to "offset" some guilt ridden Americans carbon footprint.

Damn the environment! full speed ahead! :blowup:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Jun. 21, 2008 7:31 am

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature! :D

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/2903/

Steve.N
Location: Crown Point, NY East side of the state about 130 miles above Albany

Post by Steve.N » Sat. Jun. 21, 2008 10:32 am

I too question the relationship with CO2 and global warming. True there is more CO2 in the atmosphere today but are there other reasons? 30 years ago freon refrigerent was not only used in anything that made cold air but it was also the propellent of choice in anything that sprayed, from paint to hair spray. Research found that the chlorine atom released from the breakdown of freon destroyed the ozone layer. If fact the scientists that discovered this were awarded the Nobel prize for chemistry for their work. Work I might add looked at the actual cause and not just spreading the word as Al Gore does. Freon was subsequently outlawed and removed from spray products to be replaced with our old friend CO2, ironic isn't it. The models developed at that time predicted that as the chlorine atoms were purged from the upper atmosphere the problem would slowly reverse itsself. and atmospheric data seems to be showing that.

Here is the report. http://omsriram.com/GlobalWarming.htm

The Nobel Prize http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/ ... press.html

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Jun. 21, 2008 12:54 pm

Well, the issue of global warming is real. WHAT EVER THE CAUSE, doesn't change the facts. Sea levels are rising world wide, in Maryland's portion of the Chesapeake Bay some previously well populated islands have been reduced in sized that they are no longer viable places to live. The residents, while small in number, have had their lives disrupted. The water level in the Chesapeake is rising about twice the rate it is elsewhere, so it's a predictor of what's to come. It's fairly easy to predict what will happen to low lying areas near oceans IF the seas continue to rise. Absolutely no doubt the land would be inhabitable. If it's man made or a natural cause the effect is the same, land worldwide where tens of millions now live will be flooded in the next generation. If it's a function of any government to protect it's citizens shouldn't they do something? Warn people? Encourage people to move else where? Discourage development in areas likely to be under water? Research the cause? OR stick you head in the sand and deny it's happening?

As I've said before science has not yet answered how much global warming has been man made. Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it matters a lot. But as we all know changing world climate is exceedingly difficult. The decades long experiment with CFC refrigerants and it's effect on the ozone layer indicate it's possible to make a global change. Mother nature doesn't care about politics, shouldn't you get educated about the issue? Who's more likely to have the correct answer? The right leaning politician? The left leaning politician? The scientist, who publishes his research in a peer reviewed journal? For those of you that don't know peer review means the research is first vetted for accuracy by a range of experts before it's published. What's your opinion and why?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jun. 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Yanche wrote:The scientist, who publishes his research in a peer reviewed journal? For those of you that don't know peer review means the research is first vetted for accuracy by a range of experts before it's published.
That is where the main issue lies as you have experts on both sides claiming two different things. The media of course hypes what ever the doom and gloom scenario is so that's all you ever hear so the general perception by the public at large is that we are causing it. I know scientist try and claim the high ground on lot of matters but you have to wonder if they don't have their own agendas sometimes.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Jun. 21, 2008 1:40 pm

I see "The Global Warming/Climate Change Crisis" as a game of Three-card Monte. We are the "Mark" Global Warming is the "Money Card" with the all too obvious bent corner, the Politicians are the "Dealer" and the Scientists/Experts are the "Outside Man", the guy who is working with the dealer but pretends to be helping the mark cheat the dealer. We all know who wins and looses at this game. Think about it.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”