Cold Weather Settling In - Dec 2017

Areber7788
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM furnace
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ anthracite

Post by Areber7788 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 1:52 am

How long should my furnace be running for? I haven't changed the settings on it since I bought my house but lately it's been running a lot longer and I have no clue at all what the settings are for, what they'll do or what they mean. I woke up this morning to my radiators making a constant knocking sound and when I checked, the coal ashes were clumped up and blocking around the sides where they're supposed to fall into the bin and the entire inside was one giant coal fire. The floor was wet around the back a little which I'm assuming the water got too hot too fast and some was released from somewhere to relieve pressure...??? I have no clue. I'm a complete novice with this stuff. Any advice would be great. Also side note...I empty the ash bin every day and the ash build up was from it filling up to inside the furnace. It was almost like it never stopped running while I was asleep.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 4:51 am

Sounds like it did in fact run for a long time, is it still firing? What’s your water temps? If it’s over 205 and running shut it down, maybe your high limit on the aquastat is bad.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”