Lowe's Selling Anthracite nut and rice

gweedow
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, nut all so Bit.
Other Heating: Oil

Post by gweedow » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 10:15 am

Hello all,
Sorry if this has been reported before in the forum. But at least the Lowe's near me (Southwestern PA.) Has started to sell Bagged nut and rice coal. The only thing is, Lowe's price a bag is (6.49). Of course we know Tractor Supply sells it for 5.99. But I'll take Lowe's price, seeing that some States in other kind of stores are higher, and Tractor Supply runs out quickly. Then you have to do a rain check at Tractor Supply and that may take a good few weeks to get your order. I'll buy from both stores and then go to my coal yard that is 23 miles from me for loose coal. O.K. you all, have a good day and season.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 10:20 am

They have it here in New Haven. $6.95 a 40 # bag. Bad news is it's Miner's Choice, not a brand with rave reviews.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 11:05 am

Lowes, just like TSC is testing the coal sales market. The box store fans will flock to them & buy enough coal to have Lowes try another yr. Then they will decide that coal sales are just a nuisance & discontinue selling it.
SO..... all those box store fans will go to the local dealer whom they used to buy coal from.. (he was getting rich with his high price on coal).... lo & behold the local dealer no longer handles any coal,"no longer any interest ". WELL.... now it seems that buying coal from some dealer 60 miles away is not only expensive,but a pain too.
Enjoy your "cheap" coal purchase & no griping about the junk coal you got at a bargain price.

This post is not aimed at the OP or anyone in particular...it is aimed at all who keep buying from box stores the merchandise that could be bought from a local dealer just because of the price offer.

I did pretty much the same posting a few yrs ago when cheap coal from TSC was the "hot" thing to do.
Anyone following the TSC & coal sales can see where it is leading to.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 11:20 am

Well put WH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Blaschak Coal » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 11:32 am

Yes, very well put WH.

gweedow
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, nut all so Bit.
Other Heating: Oil

Post by gweedow » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Well,,, For one thing, I sure and a heck am not going to miss getting coal at 6 dollars or 6.50 at my stinkin monthly budget. Another thing, I do go and get bulk in my own truck to my local 23 mile away coal yard. At (250) dollars a ton. So 3. I fill I have off set some of my purchase, buy finding cheaper coal. Now that 23 mile away coal yard dealer, has been there for some time. He belongs to a group called (Heet). His prices of course have been going up slowly over the years but that is all so because of delivery charge to him. As long as TS and Lowe's offer coal I'll buy it. If they stop selling, so be it. Oh, by the way. My coal yard dealer sells his bagged coal for about the same price as TS. So 10 miles away versus 23 miles away, Im going to replenish supply at a little closer. Then rest of season get bulk from dealer. With in a 50 mile radius of me or more are those dealers who belong to this Heet corp. Same price for bag or bulk as above. So what would you do if you could get a ton of bagged coal, that may be only one penny cheaper a bag and yes close. I think I help keep that coal yard dealer going with my little bit of purchase along with the other people going there. I call him up be for I go up there to see if he has a pile yet. He all ways ask how much will I want. His supply seems to go fast. I'm flexible. I have a built together combination oil/coal furnace. So, I know what and how much I'll buy. I'm not complaining how far I go for coal, or whats in the bag. I'll take what I can get for it and how little, even if a little bit.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 9:17 pm

Well at 7 bucks per bag, its still cheaper to go to another, other than big box store, to get my fix.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 3:48 pm

With the price of oil down I don't see coal being a popular item to sell. My local TSC certainly doesn't seem interested in selling coal. The last time I checked the closest local dealer it was over $8 per bag. The dealer I used to buy bulk from was selling it at $7 per bag. If TSC doesn't get my coal in I will end up paying the $7 figure.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Well stated Windyhill Buyer beware....

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 7:13 pm

i'm going for 20 bags at tractor supply,joined a thing called neighbors club. got the e-mail today,10% off.also as a veteran, Lowes gives 10% off year round on anything. tom

CDF_USAF
Stoker Coal Boiler: Formerly AA-130

Post by CDF_USAF » Thu. Oct. 26, 2017 11:20 pm

I would think that the box stores would overall increase the sales to the coal yards. It increases it's availability to those of us who haven't used it before, before committing to either a large order or driving to a coal yard.

Me for example, I've never burned coal, I'm getting a furnace this year to try to make it work for my situation. A 6-8 hour round trip to a coal yard or to have a larger order delivered is a big commitment to swallow for a trial. If it works yea I'm going to invest more time to get more bang for my buck, but this winter will be local sales, which for me means a box store. And it's not being imported from overseas.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 4:14 am

Next will be Amazon selling loose coal .. they'll just fly a drone over and dump it where-ever.

I think I have bought like 5 bags one season when I ran out during the shoulder time period. That's all I would see a need buying from a Lowes or TSC or elsewhere other than buying a couple of tons through an actual "dealer".

Most places around me are not strictly coal retailers anyway, they sell pellets and other wood products too.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 6:48 am

CDF_USAF wrote:
Thu. Oct. 26, 2017 11:20 pm
I would think that the box stores would overall increase the sales to the coal yards. It increases it's availability to those of us who haven't used it before, before committing to either a large order or driving to a coal yard.

Me for example, I've never burned coal, I'm getting a furnace this year to try to make it work for my situation. A 6-8 hour round trip to a coal yard or to have a larger order delivered is a big commitment to swallow for a trial. If it works yea I'm going to invest more time to get more bang for my buck, but this winter will be local sales, which for me means a box store. And it's not being imported from overseas.
Well... i suppose John Deere has increased their lawn tractor sales by selling their junk-built tractors thru the box stores... BUT,they sure have taken a major downturn on their equipment's reputation.

It is possible that coal sales will slightly increase,but when newbies turn to burning coal & buy that coal from newbies who know absolutely nothing about the coal except what is printed in their literature,there will be many newbies who decide coal burning is too much trouble.
Most folks don't mind a 4 hr drive to the beach or to a ball game,but to drive 10 miles to a local coal yard is too far ?????????????
I just hope the coal burning furnace you are buying is not also from the box store,there are many who have gone that route & also many who regret that choice.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 9:50 am

Id do the same thing CDF is doing for a trial run. The one problem he may have is the coal is hit and miss on quality, the Miners Choice Nut, or his stove doesnt work well with coal as I dont see what stove he is using in his profile. If that coal works then he will have no problem with better coal.

i do get where your coming from though WH.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 10:04 am

CDF_USAF wrote:
Thu. Oct. 26, 2017 11:20 pm

There need not be a 6-8 hr round trip to a coal dealer from the Dover,Delaware area.I am almost certain that most all coal dealers would be more than happy to sell a few bags of quality coal to you + give you some tips that just might make your coal burning experience easier.He likely will tell you to avoid buying that Hot Blast combo furnace sold by the box store.This unit is cheap to buy,but a total pain to operate.... unless you have the patience & altering skills like forum member "lightning".
When you are new to coal burning....

It is wise to go with the advice of those who have been burning coal more than 1 season.It will save you alot of frustrations & you will more likely be a long term coal burner.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”