Lowe's Selling Anthracite nut and rice

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 10:35 am

All the coal dealers I know of offer delivery at a reasonable price. The box stores do not do that. That saving in labor of only handling the coal once when I burn it is well worth the delivery charge. Coal quality is also better from the dealer.

If you don't mind the labor at well under minimum wage then picking up yourself with vehicles probably overloaded at two tons makes sense.

CDF_USAF
Stoker Coal Boiler: Formerly AA-130

Post by CDF_USAF » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 12:43 pm

I was simply pointing out, that the Box stores do have a place in the market, they also have the infrastructure to expand the availabilty. Whether you buy from there or not is up to you.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 12:54 pm

I would prefer buying smaller amounts of coal at more frequent intervals and not travelling as far. Big box stores are better at this for me. Assuming they actually stock coal which has not been the case.

David

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 1:33 pm

CDF_USAF wrote:
Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 12:43 pm
I was simply pointing out, that the Box stores do have a place in the market, they also have the infrastructure to expand the availabilty. Whether you buy from there or not is up to you.
Obviously you did not understand my first post about this. The box store will TRY selling coal for a few yrs max,then they will quit selling it altogether. If you had followed the TSC coal saga,you would be aware that they have backed off their initial push on coal sales. Some of their stores will not bother with coal at all anymore.
All it takes to put some coal dealers out of the coal stocking & handling/delivering is for coal customers to support coal sales at a box store for 2-3 yrs. The dealer will decide that stocking TONS of coal is not worth the expense when he no longer has enough customers who buy from him.

THEN, when the box store drops coal sales from low profitability(they are selling at rock bottom prices to test the market)
THEN,those customer will return to the coal dealer they originally dealt with..
NOW,he no longer is interested in selling coal to a market that he saw dry up.

WHY do you think that John Deere lawn & garden equipment dealers are spaced so far apart ? They no longer are selling many pieces because the box stores are & folks flock to the box store & buy equipment with the help of the sales person in the store who is capable only because they read the brochure before you did.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 1:59 pm

That makes more sense WH :lol: I saw that exact thing with TSC in my area. I cant even order it to have it delivered to my close store (where they carried it for a year) and the nearest one to carry it now is 70+ miles away. Im betting they will stop too after switching to Miners Choice nut, the buyers wont like it as well as the Blaschak nut they can buy for just a little more locally here.

But still, I understand buying it at box stores in small quantities or when the opportunity presents itself (15% sales). Sometimes it just makes sense.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 2:10 pm

TSC may stop selling coal. If it does it will be because competitive fuels are cheaper. When the price of those fuels goes back up people will look into coal again.

David

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Box stores thrive on numbers,even little numbers... BUT, they multiply those little numbers by massive quantity to justify handling the product.
TSC didn't get into coal sales because of competitive fuels being high priced,they got into coal sales because coal sales were in a high demand period of time.

CDF_USAF
Stoker Coal Boiler: Formerly AA-130

Post by CDF_USAF » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Well they are selling/stocking it where there is a market for it but that also is up to the local managers risk assessment. For my area, I don't see it taking anything, cant take away what isn't there to begin with and TS doesn't keep it around very long, so if my Lowes gets it, I would imagine it would be the same. Other areas may be different.

John Deere doesn't want to deal with us little home owners. They also are very dealership loyal, but that's a whole other subject. John Deere got my money once.

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Tractor Supply new price is $6.29 per 40 pound bag. I got the 5% off for full pallet . Last year it was $6.00

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”