Proof Coal IS Cheaper than Firewood

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Well here is definitive proof that coal is less expensive than firewood. That is because I have never destroyed $1100 worth of anything burning coal. Firewood on the other hand, now that is a different story...

This is what a Stihl MS 461 chainsaw looks like after it has been run over by a skidder. For those that need additional details, said skidder was a 1979 664 Clark Ranger weighing about as much as my ex-wife; 12,000 pounds. Fixing it will be around $450, but the replacement saw in the meantime was $750 (a Husqvarna 562). I am not a Husky fan at all, but my good friend owns a Husky dealership and they are cheaper so hopefully it will make a decent limbing saw due to its small size.

Attachments

DSCN5324.JPG
.JPG | 178.9KB | DSCN5324.JPG

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 4:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyqe8n-pbqQ

Why you disparage that nice skidder comparing it to your ex-wifey.

Why are divorces soooo expensive? Because they're worth it !

I don't know why you are sawing your coal. Maybe just from habit when you burned wood?

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 4:11 pm

When I'm out working in the woods , I always paint an orange stripe on all my tools, felling ax, chokers and whatnot. The plastic wedges are already orange. That way I don't lose them , easy to see in a sea of green. But your Stihl saw is already orange. Maybe paint your stuff hot pink , I have a hook on the skidder where I put my saw before hooking up the log. Good luck with the Husky

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 4:44 pm

He Logs...everyone has their own way of doing things I know, but I got out of the habit of lugging a felling axe with me a long time ago. Instead of driving a wedge with the back of an axe, I just chop a sapling down when I need to pound a wedge in. There is always one around, preferably hardwood, but softwood will serve in a pinch, just cut it 3 feet long or so, 2 inches in diameter or so, and pound away. I just have enough stuff to lug in the woods, on the skidder, etc. One less thing to lose...as for losing track of a chainsaw...I got bit today. Typically I keep the saw tucked behind a tree where I know I cannot get at it, but that last twitch was a bad one. Things were going well until then.

Oh well, soon I will have a chainsaw...the Stihl that is, not sure I will ever be able to call a Husky a real chainsaw. I'll make that into a yard saw or something.

Logs

Post by Logs » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 5:07 pm

I know it's easy to screw up, especially if you are hurrying or tired. That seems to be when mistakes happen . Be careful out there , it's a dangerous job no matter what you methods. You gotta admit , a hot pink chainsaw would be easier to miss.

Seagrave1963
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace

Post by Seagrave1963 » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 6:40 pm

NoSmoke wrote:Well here is definitive proof that coal is less expensive than firewood. That is because I have never destroyed $1100 worth of anything burning coal. Firewood on the other hand, now that is a different story...

This is what a Stihl MS 461 chainsaw looks like after it has been run over by a skidder. For those that need additional details, said skidder was a 1979 664 Clark Ranger weighing about as much as my ex-wife; 12,000 pounds. Fixing it will be around $450, but the replacement saw in the meantime was $750 (a Husqvarna 562). I am not a Husky fan at all, but my good friend owns a Husky dealership and they are cheaper so hopefully it will make a decent limbing saw due to its small size.
:lol:

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 7:46 pm

My current wife Katie is very sweet and would not say a bad word about anyone, but even she agreed that ex's are the exception.

As for my ex-wife, she was pretty when I married her (yes, I know all ex-husband's say that, but it is true). She definitely found the cheesecake while we were married though.

I am a bit worried about the new saw though. I was not really happy with the Husky line-up. They basically had 3 versions of very few saws:

1. Homeowner
2. Homeowner in a professional chassis
3. Professional

I would have liked to had something professional in the the 50cc range, but they did not have anything. I admit that I am in a odd situation, at only 40-50 cord per month, I am not a professional, but I am not sure of the longevity of a homeowners saw either. They said the trade in value on this saw after a year would be $300, so we will see. About that time I'll probably have driven over it anyway.

Logs

Post by Logs » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 10:16 pm

About that time I'll probably have driven over it anyway.

Paint it hot pink maybe you'll miss it

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 9:40 am

MAY BE !!!!! hate when that happens dam costly ooooopps !!

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 10:37 am

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Sep. 15, 2017 12:15 pm

I suppose I could of bought a used saw, I never really gave it a thought to be honest with you. This is what I ended up with though, with my wife holding it of course. She makes a much better model than I do! :-)
Katie and Saw.jpg
.JPG | 272.9KB | Katie and Saw.jpg

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”