How Did You Get Started Burning Coal

How Did You Get Started Burning Coal?

I grew up burning coal.
29%
I was given a coal stove.
6%
I researched ways to save money heating my home.
42%
A friend suggested I burn coal.
12%
A dealer suggested burn coal.
No votes
I just always loved the coal mining industry.
No votes
I wanted to heat my home with all-American fuel.
11%

Total votes: 66

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 12:29 am

My load of coal for the whole season takes about 2 gallons of diesel ,to get it to my house. The deep mine itself is run mostly on electric ,much of that from coal as well ,so i dont think it takes too much oil to make it all happen. Those who are far from the source pay extra in the form of time and fuel to transport the product. Been around coal my whole life ,my town is surrounded be culm banks ,plus worked for 2 years in a deep mine,until it flooded. I have mining papers somewhere. So i guess its in the blood.

Vonda
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby born 1980
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gas

Post by Vonda » Sun. Dec. 17, 2017 11:04 am

I always wanted a fireplace. I grew up with a fake one in Brooklyn. When looking gor a home in Atlanta, i told my realtor, i wanted a fireplace. Do i bought a house with 4 fireplaces. What did not know was that They were coal burning and the chimneys had been removed. I was told it would take 10k to restore one chimney so for about 15 years i did nothing to them.
I wanted the fireplace for heat and looks. Heating my house was a bear, little installation. One month the bilk was $400 and the thermostat was on 61. Finally, i decided to research more. I found this website, asked a bunch of questions on how to light an open fire. , i found i could restore one fireplace for 1.6k. I did that but the heat was not being produced (i found out later the installer did not seal something correctly and my heat was going into attic.)
I started reading about chubbys and the heat they produce, called Larry. We talked, he was a little skeptical about burning coal in Georgia, he thought it didnt get cold enough. I told him , it was 23° at the time. I took about a year before i had the money for a reconditioned stove with blower. I was delivered about a month ago, installed 4 days ago.
My experience so far has been interesting. It took me a while to keep fire going. Georgia is funny. It can be 30° in the morning and 60° in the late afternoon. I dont have a barometer, larry said i probably wont need one in Georgia. I had the up to 700° , by mistake, i didn't get much heat because i had both dampers open.
I am enjoying boiling water for tea on it.

It going to be a challenge keeping fire going when the weather fluctuate as it does.
Ps. I did get a 12 hour burn once the day time temp did not go over 40°
PS2 . It is a challenge getting coal in Georgia. So far TSC is my omly source.

coaledfeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1982 efm df520
Coal Size/Type: Cornwall rice
Other Heating: VC winterwarm wood

Post by coaledfeat » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 8:21 pm

There is not much more embarrassing than the fire chief having a chimney fire!!!! Need I send photos?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 8:26 pm

coaledfeat wrote:
Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 8:21 pm
There is not much more embarrassing than the fire chief having a chimney fire!!!! Need I send photos?
We love pics lol
Fire away!

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 8:35 pm

coaledfeat wrote:
Fri. Dec. 22, 2017 8:21 pm
Now that is funny....

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Mon. Dec. 25, 2017 2:05 pm

old inefecient OWB/boiler system in house, ripped all out put in new OWB/boiler. Cut oil use to 1/3 what it was and heated house to 70* easily(house on columns/skirted). Then fuel shot up to close to $4 a gal.... cost same to heat as old system. All new WB system so bought a sf260 boiler, plumbed in and wired so OWB automaticlly backs up when coal boiler struggles in brutal cold, then switches back to coal. Now i also have a Hitzer 50-93 use to heat old part of house(trailer) which was mainly used as storage last 14 years. No REGRETS! Both systems now keep better heat in all of structure!

Dakotaguy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520 highboy
Coal Size/Type: Lots of rice from Lehigh
Other Heating: Pops 2010 df 520 stoker

Post by Dakotaguy » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 11:52 am

Our whole family used coal when we bought our second home sold first one the one we live in now had oil ripped it out and installed the EFM highboy my wife was pissed said hopefully that heats the house now she brags to her friends about our hot water and how warm the house is in total our entire family has about 14 EFMs running all on Lehigh rice

Larobpra
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac CL 96G Wood/Coal/Oil Combo
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Fireplace for the Holidays

Post by Larobpra » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Had a DM Olsen coal wood oil combo furnace in the house we bought in 1996, but always burned wood in it. Replaced it in 2013 with a Newmac CWO combo that is the same basic design and footprint. Burned wood the first 2 winters, then when visiting with a brother in law who is a contractor, he was telling us about a coal stove and coal he got as payment for some work and how it was so much easier to use than heating with wood. Did some research, checked with a coal dealer startup about 32 miles away, found this forum, got a sale flyer from Tractor supply (only 6 miles away) with the pre-order discount offer, and bought 3 tons to try that winter. Not knowing how it would work, I also bought 15 instead of the usual 20 face cords of wood. Once I started the coal I was hooked! Ended up getting another 1/2 ton from TS, then wanted more and had to go to the other guy for another 1/2 ton. Bought 5 ton initially for last winter, then picked up another one on their 15% off night. Had 59 bags left over so got 5 tons for this winter. It's SO much easier, cleaner and easier to handle, tend and store than wood. We now just use the wood when it starts getting cold in the fall. Got enough last a few years at that rate!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”