Fall 2008 Meet and Greet (AKA Coal Nerd Fest)

NEPANewb
Location: Taylor, PA...aka part of NEPA...home of the Anthracite :)

Post by NEPANewb » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 11:49 pm

Blech....Hershey park makes me want to :blowup: If you want a REAL PA amusement park experience just go a LITTLE ways past the heart of coal country...stop by the LL factory on your way to Knoebels ....now THAT place makes me want to :junmp: THAT'S a real park. If you want to travel back in time...in a good way check that place out...Elysburg, PA. Free entry...reasonably priced, GOOD, food. The best d@mm bumper cars on the planet and some serious wooden coasters.

OK..sorry for the off topic detour

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Jun. 20, 2008 12:28 pm

When I say I'm going to be at Hershey.... think 10,000 automobile related garage sales... This is the AACA's [antique automobile club of America's] national meet,, and the worlds largest automoblile swap meet... lasts 4-5 days, and I still can't see all of it...

Kiddy rides and Roller coasters??? Oh,,,yah they are somewhere around there., If I look up from the car parts on the table and ground.. :lol: :D :D :)

Greg L

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Jun. 20, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm really hoping to be there if this Rythmol will knock me out of Afib in time.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Fri. Jun. 20, 2008 4:38 pm

How about adding a coal related flea market at the meet and great? I'm thinking something like tailgating, just meet in a parking lot and we walk around looking in the trunks or pickup beds. I'm sure many of us has coal stuff we don't need and would love to sell or trade. Stove parts, plumbing supplies, bags of coal, etc. What do you think? Maybe a portion of sales goes to Richard to support this site.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Jun. 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Yanche wrote:Stove parts, plumbing supplies, bags of coal, etc. What do you think?
Sounds like a great idea......I'd love to buy a couple of bags of Superior (nut) Coal to try out if someone would make up a couple of bags.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Jun. 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Devil We can fill you trunk up at the breaker :lol: Bring the bags

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Jun. 22, 2008 8:32 am

Count me in for the 10th :) if I don't have to work :( I would like to try a load of superior this year.

Charlie Z

Post by Charlie Z » Mon. Jul. 14, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey: I want to make one of these.

Oct 10 would be good and Hershey would be good to hit, too! I finally got both bikes going, so one of them might be working then.

- Charlie

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Tue. Jul. 15, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm in and any w/e can work but like Jay, I'd prefer a cool weather w/e.

biggreen1

Post by biggreen1 » Fri. Aug. 08, 2008 10:23 pm

"Coal Nerd Fest"? Coal people are not nerds.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Aug. 12, 2008 8:10 pm

What about coal people who spend all day on the computer? :D

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Aug. 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Flyer5 wrote:What about coal people who spend all day on the computer? :D
We only do that to huddle around a potential additional heat source! (the computer)

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Tue. Aug. 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi everyone, I'm in, date for me does not matter.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Aug. 18, 2008 10:08 am

coal berner wrote:Well I will stick with the 24th of October because it is My B-day and I will not be around on the 10th or the 11th so if it goes to that weekend someone else will have to take over the meet & greet / getting coal and all of the other Planning & time that goes along with it Anyone is more then welcome to take it over If it Falls on the 10th or 11th :)
I believe we are running this by majority rules, so now is the time for getting a little more organized and since our friend coal berner cannot make the 10th :( we will need to find out what folks are interested in and make up a tentative itinerary. There are some options posted by coal berner and others on this thread and other related threads, I was thinking that staying in and around Knoebles would make a nice base for the run to Superior (or breaker of your choice) to get coal, coal item flea market, family fun and lodging either by tent or cabin, plus there are hotels in the area. The pioneer Tunnel mine is nearby ( http://www.pioneertunnel.com/ ), the number 9 ( http://no9mine.tripod.com/ ) is about 45 minutes to an hour away (we did have an offer of a special tour and cookout from Mike, so I will call him and see if that still stands). Rather than try and organize this by people ending PMs I was thinking (and you know what that gets you! :lol: ). that we should have some discussion on here and air out the ideas and that way we can get a feel for the druthers of the majority (hopefully there will be one!).

Those that can could meet at Knoebles Friday. There is camping and cabins, and I'm sure some folks out there can recommend hotels in the area. We could make a run to the breaker on Friday for the early crowd, and make arrangements to do another run early Saturday (providing the breaker will be open) morning as well. Then Saturday take either of the mine tours and perhaps take in the Yuengling brewery tour (
**Broken Link(s) Removed** ). With Knoebles as the base those with families can decide what they want to do and have built in entertainment if they decide to stay behind for any of the activities. Plus we can set have the ad hoc flea market, anyone that brings anything to sell will have access at a central point to the people attending.

Please excuse my ramblings, I have not taken the time to put together too many cohesive thoughts and don't see that changing in the near future. :lol: :lol: The main thing is lets get this discussion moving and see what we are up against. :P

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Aug. 18, 2008 11:08 am

I think if JC cannot make the 10th we should vote to move it to another weekend, out of fairness to him. Bear in mind all the help and time he has given many of us.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”