Fall 2008 Meet and Greet (AKA Coal Nerd Fest)

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:23 am

Agreed, I would get a lot more done if the Mayor hadn't created this forum, but I wouldn't have as many friends and I wouldn't know a lot of the things I've learned here, so the scale trips towards the positive.

Thanks, Mayor.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:26 am

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Thanks J.C.! Who cares if it was rainy, it was great to meet everyone. Thanks to J.C.'s stamina and the variety the tours, everyone had a chance to get a taste of the area and enjoy some wonderful comradery. Did I just hear someone burp? :lol:

Also, thanks to all the members and the great ideas they offer - both here and in person. Hmmm.... will the next project be adding a boiler and a heat exchanger or plumb the first floor with HW baseboard, a DHW coil or will it be the Koker cut into the ductwork?

What a day and there was the nightcap ... the Phillies won game three!

Thanks again to all, and again to J.C. (wondering if he's awake yet!) and Richard for making it all possible.

See ya next time!
:cheers:
Well I am glad you and your wife injoyed the tours and it was my Pleasure to of met you both Hopfully the weather will
be nicer next spring and you and your wife can make it in for the next one Take care and hook up the koker to your
hotair ducks ASAP ;)
Last edited by coal berner on Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:44 am

stoker-man wrote:I guess I made it home first. We accomplished a few activities, such as visiting Keystoker, Yeungline Brewery, a relaxing lunch and the Pioneer mine in Ashland before time ran out. The weather didn't cooperate, but it was an enjoyable time for about 20 forum members. Thanks to coal berner for planning out the activities.
You are welcome I am glad you made it in again maybe next spring you could pull some strings and get us a tour of
Thermo Dynamics AKA One of EFM's other companys ;)

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:47 am

kevin12973 wrote:Thanks to J C for an outstanding day of tours and coal culture. I am so glad I made the trip, My uncle (not a coal burner since he was a teenager) Really enjoyed the pioneer tunnel. I cant wait to come up with an excuse to come back down. Mabey pick up some parts for a efm 900 that a friend is trying to get up and running. Next year it yuengling breawery for me :cheers: Dont get me wrong, I am so glad I decided to do keystoker tour. That was a sweet tour, they have a great plant and great product, very impressed, but I am still an EFM man. :D Wish we had more time together, Face to face is much better than computers. Yance never took that group photo :mad: That would have been nice.
You are welcome kevin I am glad that you and your uncle made it in and had a good time Maybe we will see you in the spring and anytime you need Parts you let me know I will see what I can do Take care

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:51 am

CoaLen wrote:Thank you JC, Richard and all who made the Nerd Fest interesting and fun in spite of the weather.
My 1400# of Superior rice made it home and is put away, waiting to make heat this winter. I appreciate the chance to spend a weekend with the experts and look forward to doing it again sometime!
-Len :D
Coalen I am glad you injoyed it hopefully you can make it in for the spring one also injoy the heat from that coal
it will keep you warm I promise you that Take care :)

NEPANewb
Location: Taylor, PA...aka part of NEPA...home of the Anthracite :)

Post by NEPANewb » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:59 am

As everyone has already stated...it was great getting to meet the faces behind the names. A huge thanks to JC for planning things out and leading us around...I have been in those shoes trying to round everyone up and keep them moving...it can be a challenge :D If we DO have a mid winter meeting then I think we need to make a return visit to Phase II. They owe the Mayor a properly made steak but, more importantly, I need another round of those french fries :P For those that were unable to stick around for dinner you need to make sure to be there next time....you would not believe the amount they bring unless you see it with your own eyes....and they were GOOD too. I'm sure if that waitress is still there we will get exceptional service after that tip :D Big thankyous go out to Rich/Scott for driving me around like I was Miss Daisy...I probably owe you at least $10 in gas money. Hope to see you all again in the near future. Next time around it will be the beer tour and the #9...that's if we ever get out of the brewery :lol:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 10:59 am

The only complaint I have is that there were some members who had indicated they were going to be buying coal on Saturday. Since the breakers close mid-day JC asked everyone to be there early...around 7 to 7:30 AM. I left at 4:40 and picked up JC at 6:40 in order to be there on time. We waited for awhile and no one showed up, so we went for breakfast. The only person getting coal was CoalLen who stayed at the hotel overnight. We could have slept a little longer.

Next time we'll need a definite commitment from those wishing to get coal...maybe a cash deposit... :P

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 12:19 pm

It was good to see friends from the spring M&G and to make some new ones this time. Thanks to JC for all his coordinating work. Glad I got to help him celebrate hs birthday. Thanks to Yanche for documenting the attendance. Sorry I forgot to take a group picture to post. :oops:

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 12:28 pm

I have a question. How come in the mine tour the temperature was 49 degrees. I thought the earth's temperature was supposed to be around 56 degrees or so. :) Scott

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 2:33 pm

There's this conservation of thermodynamic entropy principle. Since for years the coal that was removed produced heat, the entropy principle says there must be a reduction in the earth's temperature where the coal was removed. That's why it's 49 degrees.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 3:50 pm

For those that are interested, and this can be for a group or for just one individual who is interested in an efm stoker/boiler, a tour can be arranged at Thermo Dynamics, our sister company, who manufacturers, ASME constructs and has the boiler's coded. You could see alot of the process of constructing boilers and the coding process. A day or two notice is needed, and I believe you could visit during the work week, if you happen to be in the area.

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 5:21 pm

What about the Keystoker tour? Now that was cool. :D I'm glad someone ( JC? ) has got the IN with Keystoker. Old time American plant, all hand built units one at a time. Thanks.

PS, Thank the Pottsville PD too. Rat Bastards for writing tickets to four or five of us for parking on Sat in an empty lot while we help the local economy. :mad:

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 7:04 pm

Cap wrote:PS, Thank the Pottsville PD too. Rat Bastards for writing tickets to four or five of us for parking on Sat in an empty lot while we help the local economy. :mad:
Mine stated it was issued as a result of a complaint. Probably PO-ed that some outa stater made them walk a few more feet in the rain. It was still a fantastic time and the pizza at lunch was really good, maybe not $25 dollars for parking good, but good none the less. Oh well, live and learn and enjoy as much of the lesson as you can.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 8:23 pm

I parked in the same lot and didn't get a ticket. Did you guys leave your car there when we went to the mine?

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 8:40 pm

Man oh man,,,,, Hope the ticket I got didn't blow off in the rain when I turned my windshield wipers on. :oops: There will be an A.P.B. out by Pottsville's finest. I'm still not fully recovered from the bug going around saturday morning. :) Scott

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”