Fall 2008 Meet and Greet (AKA Coal Nerd Fest)

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Oct. 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks J.C.!!! :D Had a great time helping you celebrate your birthday :) and the mine tour was pretty sweet. Amazing what miners go through getting the coal out. I'm glad that Yuanche and Bill were there to hang out with Frday night. Met alot of forum members so now there is a face to the posts. See ya next time guys. :) Scott

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Sat. Oct. 25, 2008 10:18 pm

It was good to meet some of the people from the group. I wish I had more time to stick around for the tours, but maybe next year. Again, a special thanks to J.C. for setting everything up and an even bigger thanks for helping me out in my pre-coal era. I will never look back again!

Talk to everyone later, everyone can hang their wet clothes by the coal unit to dry off.

Dan

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 10:15 am

It was a good day, thanks to all who participated and to Coal Berner for serving once again as "Tour Guide" despite his "impaired" condition esp. early in the day. :beer:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 10:46 am

Likewise here, thanks again J.C. Glad to see some old and new faces. Worked out very well except for the dude driving the black van as if he was in Indy 500. :P Kidding of course, keeping a line of cars going through town together is always a hassle.

My suggestion for next year since I missed the Yuengling tour this year is to go on the tour, then repeat as much as possible for the afternoon. :D

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks J.C.! Who cares if it was rainy, it was great to meet everyone. Thanks to J.C.'s stamina and the variety the tours, everyone had a chance to get a taste of the area and enjoy some wonderful comradery. Did I just hear someone burp? :lol:

Also, thanks to all the members and the great ideas they offer - both here and in person. Hmmm.... will the next project be adding a boiler and a heat exchanger or plumb the first floor with HW baseboard, a DHW coil or will it be the Koker cut into the ductwork?

What a day and there was the nightcap ... the Phillies won game three!

Thanks again to all, and again to J.C. (wondering if he's awake yet!) and Richard for making it all possible.

See ya next time!
:cheers:

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 2:27 pm

Worked out very well except for the dude driving the black van as if he was in Indy 500.

Yea, that guy was a pain in the ass. :P

kevin12973

Post by kevin12973 » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 3:27 pm

Thanks to J C for an outstanding day of tours and coal culture. I am so glad I made the trip, My uncle (not a coal burner since he was a teenager) Really enjoyed the pioneer tunnel. I cant wait to come up with an excuse to come back down. Mabey pick up some parts for a efm 900 that a friend is trying to get up and running. Next year it yuengling breawery for me :cheers: Dont get me wrong, I am so glad I decided to do keystoker tour. That was a sweet tour, they have a great plant and great product, very impressed, but I am still an EFM man. :D Wish we had more time together, Face to face is much better than computers. Yance never took that group photo :mad: That would have been nice.

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Thank you JC, Richard and all who made the Nerd Fest interesting and fun in spite of the weather.
My 1400# of Superior rice made it home and is put away, waiting to make heat this winter. I appreciate the chance to spend a weekend with the experts and look forward to doing it again sometime!
-Len :D

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 7:18 pm

I too, enjoyed the Meet and Great. Thanks to JC for pulling it together on short notice. Wish the Saturday weather could have been better but we still had a decent turn out. Fifteen forum members plus some wives by my count. If it wasn't raining we would have had more local members that are only an hour or so drive away.

For next year we need to find a way to make it easier on JC. The date needs to set in stone much earlier and event time published in a schedule. Perhaps the local tourist bureau could give us some suggestions.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:01 am

Yanche Local Tours Bureau I am the local Tours bureau :P Actually there is a center right up the street from The Ramada
that is where I got all of the booklet from the Fist time we did the Tour in June 07 Just me they do not know anything
more then I do when I was there to pick up the booklets the guy behind the counter did not know about have of the
places around the area And really did not know much about anthracite coal he must of been a import :lol: aslong as we do it in this area I will if I can do the tours if it would be outside of the area then anyone who knows that area should do it
I am always willing to share the time and Planning and help Thanks Yanche for your kind words and as always Take care
Talk to you soon

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:02 am

dtzackus wrote:It was good to meet some of the people from the group. I wish I had more time to stick around for the tours, but maybe next year. Again, a special thanks to J.C. for setting everything up and an even bigger thanks for helping me out in my pre-coal era. I will never look back again!

Talk to everyone later, everyone can hang their wet clothes by the coal unit to dry off.

Dan
Your welcome Dan anytime you need info or help I am only up the road ;)

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:07 am

stokerscot wrote:Thanks J.C.!!! :D Had a great time helping you celebrate your birthday :) and the mine tour was pretty sweet. Amazing what miners go through getting the coal out. I'm glad that Yuanche and Bill were there to hang out with Frday night. Met alot of forum members so now there is a face to the posts. See ya next time guys. :) Scott
Scott I had fun to celebrating my birthday maybe to much fun I am glade you injoyed the mine tour maybe next spring we can get both of them in see ya there

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:11 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:It was a good day, thanks to all who participated and to Coal Berner for serving once again as "Tour Guide" despite his "impaired" condition esp. early in the day. :beer:
Thank you J.C. for being my personal chufer As alway I had a good time hanging out with you even know you have a lead foot :P see ya later

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:15 am

No problem, glad to do it, I'll tape a raw egg on the gas pedal for next time. :oops:

How about a mid-winter dinner meeting, after the holidays, we could meet for a late afternoon dinner and a quick business meeting.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 9:20 am

Richard S. wrote:Likewise here, thanks again J.C. Glad to see some old and new faces. Worked out very well except for the dude driving the black van as if he was in Indy 500. :P Kidding of course, keeping a line of cars going through town together is always a hassle.

My suggestion for next year since I missed the Yuengling tour this year is to go on the tour, then repeat as much as possible for the afternoon. :D
king Richard /Scott I am glad you made it down And I want to Thank you for creating this Fourm because if it was not for you Nunn of this would of ever of happend so Thank you again for making a great forum well the best one And thanks to you I have no life anymore :P I am glade you injoyed yourself And Next Time we do this I will Make sure That your
steak is made the way you like it ;) Take care and see you in the spring

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”