Fall 2008 Meet and Greet (AKA Coal Nerd Fest)

NEPANewb
Location: Taylor, PA...aka part of NEPA...home of the Anthracite :)

Post by NEPANewb » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 8:10 am

Will I be the only newb there who has no idea who's face matches which name on here? Perhaps some super nerdy name tags could be instituted? hahaha

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 8:17 am

cArNaGe, I know how you feel. I'll be finishing off 7 night shifts tomorrow morning. There might be two of us stumbling around suffering from fish-bowl head :shock:

Just wondering, what's the head count and are wives etc. coming too?

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 8:23 am

I went to the spring meet and greet so I will know some. Some of those folks are not coming now and others who didn't go before are coming now, so no, you won't be the only one who doesn't know everyone. I think a nerdy name tag is a good idea. I'd suggest your screen name, real name and what you are burning and where you are from.

COALKIRK
TERRY
HARMAN VF3000
FOREST HILL, MD

That got suggested b4 the spring M&G but it didn't happen. :(

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 8:25 am

I invited my wife to come but she declined. :roll: Said she'd rather have a root canal done. :lol:

NEPANewb
Location: Taylor, PA...aka part of NEPA...home of the Anthracite :)

Post by NEPANewb » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 8:39 am

Very well...nerdy name tags it is...shall I spring for the stickers and a couple sharpies? JC let me know.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 9:13 am

First I have to thank coal berner for bailing me out (yet again!!), I started this thread and had the idea that I would give him a break and plan one of these meet and greets for a change. Well as usual my ideas for action are bigger than my available time (not to mention little diversions like all day rides to Centralia :lol: )..... so once again coal berner has stepped up and delivered.

THANK YOU coal berner!!!

Secondly I'm not sure people are aware of the work that coal berner puts into making sure these things are full of good activities, so please make sure you guys help him out with the little things and volunteer to take on one or more of the details (like nerdy name tags).

I probably won't be attending even if I don't go to NH, I have been putting off installing my boiler and now that the cold weather is here I have no other alternative than to work on it till complete. So on the outside chance I finish it by Saturday afternoon, I'll see you guys there. :P :roll:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 4:25 pm

NEPANewb wrote:Very well...nerdy name tags it is...shall I spring for the stickers and a couple sharpies? JC let me know.
If you want to bring them by all means bring them we used them for them first one & the second one I did I believe
I still have the first one I will have to look for it any help would be nice Thank you

mike

Post by mike » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
coal berner wrote: Now Dave you got to know that most of the local's around here do not even drink Yuengling beer :sick:
we leave that up to the outsiders the local's know better ;)
What do you suggest I drink then????
A lot of guys drink Milwaukes Best, believe it or not! I still prefer Yuengling Premium (not the lager although I do like that to) over just about every other beer.
My top 5 favs are;
1Yuengling Premium
2Yuengling Lager
3Busch
4Stegmaier Gold Medal
5Milwaukes Best
Anyway I'll be your Tour Guide at the No.9 on Saturday so I'll see you all there. I'd like to be with youse all day long but I'll be at Jeddo in the morning. If anybody is in town friday night HARD COAL is going to be shown at the theater in Pottsville. If you haven't seen it yet try to make it a point to do so.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Matthaus wrote:First I have to thank coal berner for bailing me out (yet again!!), I started this thread and had the idea that I would give him a break and plan one of these meet and greets for a change. Well as usual my ideas for action are bigger than my available time (not to mention little diversions like all day rides to Centralia :lol: )..... so once again coal berner has stepped up and delivered.

THANK YOU coal berner!!!

Secondly I'm not sure people are aware of the work that coal berner puts into making sure these things are full of good activities, so please make sure you guys help him out with the little things and volunteer to take on one or more of the details (like nerdy name tags).

I probably won't be attending even if I don't go to NH, I have been putting off installing my boiler and now that the cold weather is here I have no other alternative than to work on it till complete. So on the outside chance I finish it by Saturday afternoon, I'll see you guys there. :P :roll:
Well Matt I really did not want to goto another wedding anyway Plus being I did the first two and we will be in my
backyard I feel Obligated Plus I could not let down my fellow coal burners and anyway I know how you are always on time :P so it would be best for all that do this I will say this I am not feeling well I am coming down with something so I do not
know how long I will be hanging around the business meeting or dinner You Guys might have to do that Part yourselves
I will get you to where you would like to go but if I feel like this on Saturday morning I do not know if I will make it to dinner / business meeting we will see how things go Oh and the weather looks like Rain on Saturday :mad:

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 9:44 am

Hope you're feeling better Coal berner.

Haven't heard back yet - do you know if any family members are tagging along? Wife doesn't want to be the only one tagging along.

billw

Post by billw » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 5:02 pm

When I asked my wife she just smiled and said no thanks.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 5:06 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Hope you're feeling better Coal berner.

Haven't heard back yet - do you know if any family members are tagging along? Wife doesn't want to be the only one tagging along.

Yes There will be family members you may bring whoever you would like and Yes I am feeling better Thank you for asking
also if you Pm me I did not get it

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 9:46 pm

I arrived at the Ramada late Friday afternoon, met forum members stokerscott and bksaun. We had an enjoyable dinner and a few Yuengling brews in the hotel restaurant. We then walked up the street to the Sovereign Majestic theater. The movie was a rare showing of the documentary film, "Hard Coal". All about the PA Bootleg Coal Miners and their plight with harsh enforcement by Federal safety officials. Hopefully it will be someday available on DVD. Thanks to JC for letting us know the film was being shown. Unbelievable timing.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 9:54 pm

See you tomorrow.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Sat. Oct. 25, 2008 6:13 pm

I guess I made it home first. We accomplished a few activities, such as visiting Keystoker, Yeungline Brewery, a relaxing lunch and the Pioneer mine in Ashland before time ran out. The weather didn't cooperate, but it was an enjoyable time for about 20 forum members. Thanks to coal berner for planning out the activities.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”