Fall 2008 Meet and Greet (AKA Coal Nerd Fest)

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Jun. 05, 2008 1:03 am

OK here is the fodder for much future discussion, poll is pretty broad to make sure we capture the druthers of the clan.

Coal berner stated the following to get this kicked off:

"The Planning is dunn all we need is a month & a date I will take care of the rest I am thinking of pretty much what we did on the first two Get coal go to the # 9 mine tour then to the Pioneer tunnel mine tour with lunch and the business meeting thrown in and Maybe a Yuengling tour we could do it for two days Saturday & Sunday Getting coal would have to be on Saturday morning the two mine tours are very close to each other not a problem there as well as the coal Breakers UAE Harmony mine is right up the road from the Pioneer mine Superior is about 15 miles from the Pioneer mine tour
That's why Pottsville is a really good place to start from every Place is with in 20 miles we would do a big loop start in Pottsville and hit all of the Places then Back to Pottsville or Take Mike up on his offer a use the No. 9 Mine Pavillion for a cook out that could be are last stop for the day we would do the coal thing first then the Pioneer and to the No. 9 mine tour coal breakers open at 7am to 12pm some are open until 2pm so lets get a month & a Date Picked out "

http://no9mine.com/

http://www.pioneertunnel.com/

http://www.yuengling.com/

Let the Games Begin!!!!!!!

--------------------Edit by the Mayor-------------------------------------
List of attendees on the 24th:

Coalkirk
coal berner
kevin12973
nepanewb
Richard S.
snooze
stoker-man
Wood'nCoal

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Jun. 05, 2008 9:09 am

Count me in. :D

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Jun. 05, 2008 5:10 pm

Octorber is the Nicest Month around here as far a weather and the pretty trees & it is my birthday month :P

billw

Post by billw » Thu. Jun. 05, 2008 5:31 pm

I'd like to go, especially if it's toward the end of October. November is out for me, our 30th anniversary. If I don't show up, well all you married guys already know. :)

I just checked out the coal mine tours. Looks pretty neat. Do we get to take home free samples, like 10 tons or so?

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Jun. 07, 2008 8:02 am

I can probably make any of the weekends. At least one of the days (if it is a two day thing) I would encourage anyone who has not been to one of our meets in the past to attend if it is possible. It is a good time to socialize with other members, learn about how the coal we burn is mined and learn some mining history. You also get to bounce ideas among others just like on the forum but without the typing.

There are usually some wives and children along so if you have kids they will have friends to run off with and get in trouble, the wives will be able to get together and discuss laundry detergents, window cleaning agents and maybe General Hospital!

If you like beer it is a plus but not mandatory.

If you are coming from a distance there are other things in central PA to see that may interest you that are not that far from the coal region. Hershey and Gettysburg come to mind just to name a couple.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jun. 07, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm in Hershey Pa for the week of the 7th-11th, so I'll be in town already.. I won't make a second trip that month,, hence my vote for the 10th.

Greg L

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jun. 07, 2008 1:42 pm

What?...its only like 10 hours. :P

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jun. 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Yeah, it's 'ONLY' 9.5 hours..... EACH WAY !! :lol: :D :D

Greg L

NEPANewb
Location: Taylor, PA...aka part of NEPA...home of the Anthracite :)

Post by NEPANewb » Wed. Jun. 11, 2008 12:33 am

LsFarm wrote:I'm in Hershey Pa for the week of the 7th-11th, so I'll be in town already.. I won't make a second trip that month,, hence my vote for the 10th.

Greg L
Ok...I easily cave to peer pressure...voted for the 10th as well ;)....B-Day is on the 8th so the wife can't complain...it will be part of my gift....

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jun. 11, 2008 1:18 am

Well I will stick with the 24th of October because it is My B-day and I will not be around on the 10th or the 11th so if it goes to that weekend someone else will have to take over the meet & greet / getting coal and all of the other Planning & time that goes along with it Anyone is more then welcome to take it over If it Falls on the 10th or 11th :)

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Jun. 11, 2008 3:51 am

I wish I coul come, but my back doesn't like to travel more than a few hours anymore. :( I love PA! If Maine were to fall off the edge of the map I'd make PA my new home.

Greg, only 9 1/2 hours away? Looking on the map I was thinking you were further from coal than myself. I'm 12ish hours from coal country.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jun. 11, 2008 4:16 am

Greg has nearly a direct route via I-80 much of it very rural. My brother lived in Alabama at one point a few years ago near Talladegga. Took me 12.5 hours but if you look on the map there's almost a direct interstate route in straight line between here and there and that too is mostly rural interstate. Makes a big difference

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Jun. 11, 2008 8:15 am

Freddy wrote:I wish I coul come, but my back doesn't like to travel more than a few hours anymore. :( I love PA! If Maine were to fall off the edge of the map I'd make PA my new home. Greg, only 9 1/2 hours away? Looking on the map I was thinking you were further from coal than myself. I'm 12ish hours from coal country.
Actually Freddy, you are a mere 9 hours :lol: I visit a friend near Nashua NH as often as possible which takes around 4.5 hours from here with no traffic (I'm about an hour north of the good deep mined stuff). Just stop off at my house on the way and then continue on. I'm sure there are others on this forum you could visit along the way. :)

billw

Post by billw » Wed. Jun. 11, 2008 10:26 am

I empathize with the back problem freddy. My lower back and leg have been FUBAR since I was in the Army. I'm about 6 miles west of Wilkes-Barre. You're welcome to stop here. Hell, bring a bathing suit and you can use my hot tub. I haven't found any better relief than that, including pain pills. Good news is back pain isn't life threatening, it just hurts and you can make yourself get used to it. It always amazes me the crap you can make yourself get used to.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Jun. 17, 2008 10:49 pm

Hunting season opens in N.Y. the Oct. 15 or so. Can't cut into hunting, that's just not ethical :lol: I see they open a new roller coaster in hershey park.-4g's, upside down. try that after a brewery tour :sick: :sick: :lol: :lol: Scott

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”