60 this morning...went and got first 1/2 ton of coal

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Jul. 17, 2017 10:54 am

Good Morning all. I got up this morning and noticed the house was a little cool. Went into the kitchen and the outside thermo read 60.0 and the inside was 67.2. Hmmm said I. Early winter? Early Fall? Normal Winter? Normal Fall?

My luck ain't that good so I put 12 buckets into the truck and made two trips to the coal yard. I had about 1/2 a ton in the bin so I got 880 pounds of pea and dumped it in. I could use about another 120 pounds or so to top it off but its good for now. That being done I checked the fuel oil tank and it was at 1/4 tank. I use the hot water boiler for DHW and supplemental heat when it gets stupid cold. Better call the oil company and get that order in before everybody starts calling all at the same time.

This fall I'll get out all the buckets and fill em all with pea and stack em in the basement. At about 40 lbs a bucket that will give me almost a 1/2 ton reserve in the basement. Then I'll be ready.

How about you?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jul. 17, 2017 5:06 pm

My roughly 6-1/3 ton bin has been topped off to about 6 tons with pea, and I'm good to go for the next one year plus a few months.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jul. 17, 2017 5:24 pm

60° in July. More proof of global warming.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Jul. 17, 2017 6:57 pm

I'd say You've put together a solid little plan,Rev..... We'll take all a manner of Wake-Up Calls,especially when they come in the month of July !

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Jul. 17, 2017 9:15 pm

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/energy/energyprice/ct_heating_oil_regional_retail_prices.pdf

Will depend on oil prices how much coal to use for the upcoming season....it was ~ 2.25/gal last season ... so I burned coal.

Season before it was at $1.75 ... so I burned oil.

Follow the money...LOL

I think break even is $1.75 gal oil v. $300/ton coal

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. Jul. 18, 2017 11:48 am

4 ton a buck just unloaded in the Bin...... 2.5 months we could see snow fly if we are lucky.... :D

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Jul. 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Just got the LP tank filled on monday at 96 cents a gallon! Then today I had 3 tons of Blashak Nut dropped off at 197 a ton.

If I did my math right figuring my stove at 70% efficient and my LP furnace rated at 93% AFUE, I will only spend 16 dollars more per tank full heating with propane vs coal. I figured this by the price per btu. Any of you math wizards want to check me lol :yes:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jul. 22, 2017 6:42 pm

60 OAT on 7-17 ??

it was 57* here that morning and 82 for the high. since then it has been in the low 70's for over night lows and pretty muggy both night and day.

glad you got an early load, it sucks having about a stove fill and a half the first day and night it really drops.

oh yes, i've been that distracted, several times :oops:

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Sat. Jul. 22, 2017 7:37 pm

I really hate to brag, but I have a pile of Lehigh nut out in the yard that is about 18 ton. 5 cords of seasoned firewood in the woodshed. I should be in good shape for about 10 years. Oh, I also have about 1/2 ton of Kimmels bags. But my garden sucks!!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 23, 2017 9:31 am

L, how much coal do you use per year

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Sun. Jul. 23, 2017 11:52 am

FF asks L, how much coal do you use per year

Not a lot Fred , the first year I used a little over a ton. Year two I bought a triaxle load of Lehigh. I had heard Lehigh was the best and at that time I got it for 165/ ton delivered. It is the best of the brands I've tried. I like the kimmels as it seems more volatile and gets hot quicker, I'm saving some for weak fires. Once I figured out the burning of coal versus wood , coal is first choice. The Chubby gives enough heat most of the time. Last year I used the woodburner when the chubby couldn't keep up. Not much though. About a cord of wood. I don't keep track of what I use. But I think I have enough for at least 10 years unless some unforeseen cold spell hits.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jul. 23, 2017 1:13 pm

I like my 2 stove setup, like you have Logs. Instead of having to overfire one of them I light them both if I need them. Plus I can use my Jr in mild weather easier than my large stove. Of course if I had a single bigger stove I wouldnt need two, but it works fine. :D I easily burn 3 ton a year unless Im using some wood.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanx for the come back L--hell, you ARE set!!! :) I do 3 ton every winter no matter the temps. If my kids visit winter, I fire up the wood beast in the back part of the house.
Logs wrote:FF asks L, how much coal do you use per year

Not a lot Fred , the first year I used a little over a ton. Year two I bought a triaxle load of Lehigh. I had heard Lehigh was the best and at that time I got it for 165/ ton delivered. It is the best of the brands I've tried. I like the kimmels as it seems more volatile and gets hot quicker, I'm saving some for weak fires. Once I figured out the burning of coal versus wood , coal is first choice. The Chubby gives enough heat most of the time. Last year I used the woodburner when the chubby couldn't keep up. Not much though. About a cord of wood. I don't keep track of what I use. But I think I have enough for at least 10 years unless some unforeseen cold spell hits.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”