Summertime : Oil Vs. Electric DHW

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Thu. Jul. 03, 2008 6:54 pm

traderfjp wrote:I've installed cathedral ceilings, painted my house, installed windows, doors, ceramic tile, have done plumbing, etc. but I know not to mess with 220v. One mistake and the guy with the sickle makes a visit.
I got shocked with 240v before, it knocked me on my ass. I wasn't doing electrical work, the welder cord had rubbed through in a garage and was touching the overhead door track - I got zapped when I made the circuit. It gave me the shakes for a while.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 12:10 am

Glad to hear that you are OK. That must have been scary. I once was drilling a hole through the house and right next to an existing cable line well after it was drilled I realized that I had nicked the outer covering to the main line that runs into my breaker box. I believe I would have been killed or had the drill melt to my hand. That was a close one.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 8:24 am

My old house has old wiring, and some of it could be described as "unconventional". I found the bare black and white ends of a cable inside a wall when remodeling. Too lazy to go get my test light, so I figured I would short out the wires with my screwdriver and see if I got a spark. I got a big flash that vaporized a circle out of the tip of the screwdriver.

I was working on my car when I was a teenager, dropped a crescent wrench and it bounced off something and came down right across the battery terminals, which arced and instantly welded it in place. Fortunately I was smart enough to grab some other tool and knock it loose. Pretty potent for something that is invisible, that electricity.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”