Moving a Coal Stove From Basement

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Jun. 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi everyone,

DK is going to help move an 800 lbs safe from a neighbor's basement this weekend. I've been searching the archives for posts on moving a stove out of the basement so he can get some ideas on moving heavy things up and out without killing anyone but I can't find anything. I know I've seen such postings, maybe I'm using the wrong words. Anyway, if anyone knows where to look or has done this before please let me know what to look for or what worked for you. Thanks, Lisa

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Lisa--movin to where??? BILCO doors?? --stairs??? What kind of stove??--to start, take apart as much as they can----doors, etc.---make sure it's empty.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Jun. 13, 2017 7:54 pm

It's not a stove but a safe. For some reason they had the movers put it in the basement, down some straight stairs when they moved in a couple of years ago. Now they have had enough of DC and are moving home to Wyoming. I think the heavy safe will have much the same considerations as a heavy stove so thought I'd look in the archives on how others did it but couldn't find anything with "moving a stove from the basement." All I got was moving hot air from the basement.

Your suggestions about reducing the item to it's lightest is something I forgot. I'll pass that on. Removing the door and inside shelves will reduce the weight for sure. Thanks, Lisa

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jun. 13, 2017 8:16 pm

This is how I would do it.
IMG_1273.JPG
.JPG | 120.1KB | IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
.JPG | 84.9KB | IMG_1274.JPG
Or something similar.

Not much in the way of grunt work and nobody gets hurt.

-Don

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Jun. 13, 2017 8:24 pm

If it's a wooden stair case support it from under, a few 2 x 4's every other step from stair to floor..ect..

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Jun. 14, 2017 12:55 am

The problem with safe moving or moving safes as it were...
First assumption is that it is a security safe not a gun safe and at 800 lbs it should be...
It has a relock mechanism that should be disabled before it is moved...
The relock is a plate of glass that shatters and locks the safe down...
when someone attempts to force their way in....
Much cheaper to have the lock/safe smith prep it for transport before...
rather than crack the safe after...
If you bounce it up or down the stairs you may break the glass plate...
The door should not be removable, its a safe after all...
Empty the contents if possible along with any shelves...
800 lbs on an incline is heavy...
reduction gears via pulleys will give you the leverage you need...
build a ramp, get the proper pulley system, have a safety line on it and...
Make sure no humans are in the danger zone of crushing, pinching or lines snapping...
Roll on pipes if a flat bottom...
or see if a set of safe jacks are available for rent or purchase...
They have a high point load when on wheels so be careful what you are rolling across...
3/4 inch ply helps distribute the load...
Moved a few by myself and with the assistance of riggers...
Once over 6000 lbs you should employ riggers...
Well worth the price if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself...

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jun. 14, 2017 1:05 am

I moved my safe using a dolly and my hand winch.

I placed a 2x4 across a threshold of a doorway beyond the basement threshold doorway and connected the dolly that had the safe secured to it and the 2x4 ... crank crank crank... got it up the stairs.

The hand winch has a 60 to 1 ratio gear available....and I put towels around the 2x4 to avoid damage to the threshold's molding.

I have 2 thresholds that line up with my basement entrance ... beats me if OP has something similar.
Last edited by davidmcbeth3 on Wed. Jun. 14, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jun. 14, 2017 1:11 am

StokerDon wrote:This is how I would do it.
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
Or something similar.

Not much in the way of grunt work and nobody gets hurt.

-Don
I could have used one of those moving my boiler out my tornado doors a few years ago. Instead, I hooked my handy hand winch to my mighty ford ranger and clickity clickity click got it out my tornado doors (it did break one step...easily replaced...not a fancy staircase).

My 2nd boiler removal? Yeah, I took it apart in the basement ... max. wt. of a pc was 200# via that way. It made a mess tho...I put plastic down before I took the sledge to it.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jun. 14, 2017 1:21 am

lowfog01 wrote:It's not a stove but a safe. For some reason they had the movers put it in the basement, down some straight stairs when they moved in a couple of years ago. Now they have had enough of DC and are moving home to Wyoming. I think the heavy safe will have much the same considerations as a heavy stove so thought I'd look in the archives on how others did it but couldn't find anything with "moving a stove from the basement." All I got was moving hot air from the basement.

Your suggestions about reducing the item to it's lightest is something I forgot. I'll pass that on. Removing the door and inside shelves will reduce the weight for sure. Thanks, Lisa
Or... "With the house comes a FREE SAFE" .... That's what I would do .... getting to old to be moving such things.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Jun. 14, 2017 7:31 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Or... "With the house comes a FREE SAFE" .... That's what I would do .... getting to old to be moving such things.
Ha HA!

That right there is the smartest thing to do!

-Don

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. Jun. 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tomorrow's the day. We'll see what happens.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jun. 15, 2017 6:59 pm

If You use planks make damn sure they can't move. You don't need the excitment.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 9:49 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Wed. Jun. 14, 2017 1:21 am
lowfog01 wrote:It's not a stove but a safe. For some reason they had the movers put it in the basement, down some straight stairs when they moved in a couple of years ago. Now they have had enough of DC and are moving home to Wyoming. I think the heavy safe will have much the same considerations as a heavy stove so thought I'd look in the archives on how others did it but couldn't find anything with "moving a stove from the basement." All I got was moving hot air from the basement.

Or... "With the house comes a FREE SAFE" .... That's what I would do .... getting to old to be moving such things.
That's how I got the old office safe that's in the back of my living room closet. It's been there since the late 1800's.

Paul

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 11:07 am

Well,in hindsight,now that You bring this Thread back up,I'm wondering how this Living Hell of a move worked out ?

Anybody seen Lisa lately ? I really had wished that they'd of used Pro Movers with time,technique,equipment,strong backs and bodies,and,yes,YOUTH ! Honest to God,You can only save so much money,and this would've been one place to bleed some cash !

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”