Coalbrookdale Darby Advice

Mark L

Post by Mark L » Fri. Jun. 02, 2017 3:54 am

G'day All,

I have just purchased a Coalbrookdale Darby with a back boiler. The boiler has a leak in it and I am currently trying to remove it in order to see if it is reparable. Does anyone have any advice (aside from scrapping) as to how to approach this beast? As it sits, I've removed the decorative side and top plates, as well as removing four bolts from the rear that I assume hold the boiler in place, as well as inlet and outlet, and thermostat. Beyond that I'm not certain how to proceed. Should I be hacking away at the fire cement that surrounds the boiler? Or should I be taking it apart from the bottom? There was a post on here in 2009 that said something about 'cross members' needing to be cut in order to remove the boiler - but I'm not certain what or where the cross members are. Very little info out there it seems.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mark - Tasmania, Australia.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Fri. Jun. 02, 2017 6:35 am

I believe this is a similar post about how to approach the boiler. Suggest you contact coalnewbie directly using the private message function. I see your a new poster so look at the top of the screen and you will see new messages. click on that and away you go. Hope this helps....

Re: Advice PLEASE re my Coalbrookdale Darby stove
PostBy: coalnewbie On: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I spent 25 years playing with Rayburns and is this is just a much prettier Rayburn. You can indeed take the quarter ton monster to the weld shop, cut out the cross members, remove the tank and rebuild it as long as you know someone who is an expert in welding ductile iron. The job will cost more than the stove is worth unless you have connections and I would listen to my drunken buddies advice as, within it's power class, it is a great stove. I would sell it and buy a Much Wenlock which is the correct choice if you want to go to that type of stove. There is one for sale in CT right now - see Craigslist. Stick around as I turn a Glenwood Baseburner into a turkey fryer - that COULD be done too but then there might be a heart attack somewhere high in the Poconos.

They are great stoves, don't butcher it.

Mark L

Post by Mark L » Fri. Jun. 02, 2017 6:45 am

Thanks, Larry. I have sent a PM to Coalnewbie - it's that original post that has me wondering what the 'cross members' are.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”