Just When It Looked Like the Cold Weather Was Over ...

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. May. 05, 2017 1:54 pm

... we are about to be handed a string of nights in the 30's here in N/E Ohio.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. May. 05, 2017 2:09 pm

47 here right now with rain, calling for a chance of snow Monday night in the hills!

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. May. 05, 2017 2:17 pm

They have been talking about some snow the last couple of days in central New York. Its all rain up here on my mountain-I don't need or want the rain right now.

I have used up the last 8 bags of my 40 Lb. Kimmels Rice Coal last night.
I bought six bags of the Blashack rice coal today in their from fill and seal plastic bags @ $6.50 a bag to carry me through to the end of next week.
It will be interesting to see how well it burns compared to the Kimmels Rice Coal in the 40 pound open mouth sewn bags. I hope the coal and coal dust left in these plastic bags dries out enough so that I can just tap them a few times to get the rest of the rice coal and coal dust to fall out as I always let the coal bags dry out in the hopper after I dump the coal into the hopper.

mkline
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak x 2...Old and New
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove/Anthracite

Post by mkline » Fri. May. 05, 2017 2:34 pm

It's a little chilly in this old and damp house. I went and picked up a ton of nut from Lenigs. Nice and toasty now :clap: .

Mike

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. May. 05, 2017 7:40 pm

it's been the pits over here for a couple weeks. lows, rain and wind near constant.

i got sick of it and lit back up last night, should have done it before but was kind of miffed about having to.

now the house is nice, the damp is gone and I feel like a dope for not doing it before :oops:

I don't remember lighting up as early or firing as long as I did this yr and the actual winter was about a record for so little snow and cold. i'd rather have 4-5 months of kicking butt then done rather than 7+ months of back and forth.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. May. 05, 2017 8:06 pm

We had a little snow last weekend, and it has been cold and damp ever since. I don't like the cool basement, but the house is still comfortable.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Fri. May. 05, 2017 8:06 pm

KingCoal wrote:now the house is nice, the damp is gone and I feel like a dope for not doing it before
I know I live down on the "balmy" southern end of the region but when I got home after work today the house was just chilly. After burning coal for several years now and getting used to a 75* house all winter, 65* is just chilly :eh: . I fired back up about 2 hrs ago and seeing we're not supposed to get over 60 for the next couple of days will keep it idling along to chase the nasty away :D I should have done it yesterday also :cry:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. May. 05, 2017 8:53 pm

65, IF my house was holding at 65 yesterday I wouldn't have even cared but when I came in from work it was 50 in here and felt every bit as damp, that was it, even if I WAS camping i'd have a chill chaser going. what was wrong with me, it ain't like i'm short on coal or stoves for pete's sake :baby:

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. May. 06, 2017 4:36 am

Three days ago I looked at the long range forecast. Upper 30's low 40's at night, rain and more rain. I lit off my Vig 2310 on lump charcoal and only put coal on the left half of the firebox. Nice little trick for the shoulder months!!! You just have to make sure you deash by poking from underneath. When you add you only put it on one side. I rotate sides every three days. Today I will start adding to the right side and let the left side ash over. Puts out just the right amount of heat.

I had a friend over and when she came in she said OH you keep your house warm. She has electric heat and said she keeps her place no higher than 60. My living room was sitting at 72. Next thing I knew she had changed into a T shirt and shorts. :clap:

Who said burning coal in the shoulder months was a waste of money? :P

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Sat. May. 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Going to be cold and damp for a couple days. I had lump charcoal left over and plenty of coal so no reason not to start the stove. Especially if it makes the Boss happy. The granddaughter's cat, Thomas Jefferson, likes it too.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. May. 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Freeze warning issued for tonight. Forecast is for 31 degrees tomorrow morning. And 34 degrees Tuesday morning.

pyro29
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby w/Blower
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Nut

Post by pyro29 » Tue. May. 09, 2017 7:57 am

Although the G8 is all cleaned up and the flue pipe of off, the Chubby in the basement was still ready to go. Got home from work yesterday, it was 44 outside and 58 inside the house so I got the Chubby burning again. With the blower on, I woke up this morning to find that the outside temp had dropped eight degrees since I went to bed but the inside temp was up to 65. Keeps the wife happy and I got to turn off the basement dehumidifier. This is the latest we've burned in the last ten years, at least. No worries on the coal stock though, we still have almost two tons left.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”