Where Coal IS Still King...

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 8:43 am

This article is in today's Washington Examiner. I don't have anything to add at time because I can see the truth in what she has written. By the way this author is a home grown Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh. Let me just say this is playing out in small towns across the nation for all the reasons she cites in PA; the Dakota Pipeline for instance. It should be obvious to anyone who is paying attention. Lisa

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/where-coal-is-still-king/article/2615107

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 8:56 am

I don't know if the coal jobs are coming back or not. Obama and his EPA tried to crush them with regulations and did a pretty good job of it. Also the success of fracking to produce natural gas has played a role. Many power plants were built I believe to be able to burn coal or gas. With abundant natural gas at a low cost the power plants will chose to burn gas. It's gotta be easier just logistically.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 9:15 am

Common sense article, but still can't resist a dig at Trump with a sentence like this:

"Some reporters don't understand (and sometimes don't respect) why these voters aren't driven away from Trump by the daily outrages being decried in Washington."

So clumsy it's hard to make sense of. I thought reporters went to school to learn how to write.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 9:20 am

Where steady flow of many, many river barges and train car loads of coal is/has fed coal boilers to make steam that spins the turbine/generators takes a rather large diameter gas line to replace and still generate near the same gigawatts of power 24/7 ...not many single source gas lines exist at these larger power plants.
Besides this, little capital is spent on many, if not all coal plants due to not knowing if/when the decsion may come to cause the 'plug' to be pulled...so these plants run on short term bandaid repairs on/over bandaids. Sad, to say the least.

Another travesty is that the larger utilities went around and bought up smaller localized city/villiage/town generating plants and 'mothballed' them when building the loadbase plants up and down the river corridors back in the 70's...some of these localized plants today could be more readily be converted over to the gas fired boilers if gas mains turned out or could be made suffient to supply enough gas.

GO NUKES!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:14 am

It will be interesting to see how the coal industry responds with our current leadership. At least there is now much more hope than there was for the last 8 yrs.

NO MORE NUCLEAR CRAP EITHER !!!!

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Feb. 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Have to realize how large of a mine this is.

On a 365 day basis they will still produce 82,000 ton per day.

About 550 rail cars per day.

It is the largest mine in PA.

BigBarney

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”