Trump on Coal

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Your correct CJ but those renewable sources do help us save the fossil fuels for those rainy days. The alternative sources are getting better & in some cases cheaper almost daily. Combine that with other energy savers like the LEDs & such it gives us more time for better research, I'd much rather conserve what we know we have than ship it all out for the profit of a few. Even some of the waste from coal is now being used in other products & the burning of it can & will get cleaner.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 9:16 pm

What alternative sources are you talkin about. Ya mean solar (useless in many parts of the country) wind (a joke) NG ( keep an eye on prices over the next few yrs) What did I miss?

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 9:48 am

samhill wrote:Your correct CJ but those renewable sources do help us save the fossil fuels for those rainy days. The alternative sources are getting better & in some cases cheaper almost daily. Combine that with other energy savers like the LEDs & such it gives us more time for better research, I'd much rather conserve what we know we have than ship it all out for the profit of a few. Even some of the waste from coal is now being used in other products & the burning of it can & will get cleaner.
That's something that bugs me the government is shipping the coal out.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:00 am

I might be wrong,but my research of various reports shows very little exporting of anthracite is being done.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:04 am

I was told at one of the local breakers that some anthracite was being shipped to china, this was a couple years back

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:08 am

China has "horrible" air pollution due to the extreme amount of bit coal they use to run their industries. The Brits had the same problem, at the turn of the century. (the 20th century) :oops: I've heard tales of peoples gardens being smothered in ash.

Doby

Post by Doby » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:11 am

joeq wrote:China has "horrible" air pollution due to the extreme amount of bit coal they use to run their industries. The Brits had the same problem, at the turn of the century. (the 20th century) :oops: I've heard tales of peoples gardens being smothered in ash.
Yep and if they tax the hell out of coal to stop us from burning it china's still going to, so much for saving plant earth

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:18 am

What I'd like to know is, if demand is down, why are we importing so much coal while slowly closing down our coal industry ?

Here's the US Dept of Energy report on US coal imports, the amount, and from what country it's being imported from, as of Feb 9th 2017.

http://www.eia.gov/coal/production/quarterly/pdf/t18p01p1.pdf

We're even importing coal from China as we export coal to China. :shock:

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:30 am

Isn't it the same as the Alaskan pipeline when we finally got it up and running, (around 1970 (?)), we exported more oil than we used. I was told the reasoning was because we could make more money exporting our oil, and it was cheaper to import Arabian crude.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:32 am

joeq wrote:Isn't it the same as the Alaskan pipeline when we finally got it up and running, (around 1970 (?)), we exported more oil than we used. I was told the reasoning was because we could make more money exporting our oil, and it was cheaper to import Arabian crude.
It also would be far more profitable for us to export all our food instead of us wasting it in our digestive tracts here in our country. :roll:

Doby

Post by Doby » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:51 am

Sunny Boy wrote:What I'd like to know is, if demand is down, why are we importing so much coal while slowly closing down our coal industry ?

Here's the US Dept of Energy report on US coal imports, the amount, and from what country it's being imported from, as of Feb 9th 2017.

http://www.eia.gov/coal/production/quarterly/pdf/t18p01p1.pdf

We're even importing coal from China as we export coal to China. :shock:

Paul
Maybe because its part of some trade agreement

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 11:54 am

And we do waste a lot of food in this country Dave. My co-worker is from Laos and came to this country after Nam. He fought the Viet Cong as a youngster, and was fortunate enuff to get out before the commies took over.
He mentioned being able to see portions of the movie "Animal House", and his group that saw it were astonished at the fact, Americans had "so" much food, that they could just throw it all around the cafeteria, in the food fight scene.
(A little off topic, but thought I'ld throw it out there for GPs. :) )
Paul! How'ld you get in there? :D
Last edited by joeq on Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 12:04 pm

joeq wrote:Isn't it the same as the Alaskan pipeline when we finally got it up and running, (around 1970 (?)), we exported more oil than we used. I was told the reasoning was because we could make more money exporting our oil, and it was cheaper to import Arabian crude.
I don't remember ever hearing that we ever exported more than we used, ...... or even imported ????

About the lowest our imports got back then was after the oil embargos and Carter's push to cut back on oil use with more fuel efficient cars, push public transportation, and tax deductions to upgrade insulation, windows and heating systems. Which I used back then to insulate and put new energy efficient windows in my last house.

I seem to remember that all that high price of oil and gas, plus government regs to help cut back on consumption, got our oil imports down to about 15% of use.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 12:05 pm

joeq wrote:And we do waste a lot of food in this country Dave. My co-worker is from Laos and came to this country after Nam. He fought the Viet Cong as a youngster, and was fortunate enuff to get out before the commies took over.
He mentioned being able to see portions of the movie "Animal House", and his group that saw it were astonished at the fact, Americans had "so" much food, that could just throw it all around the cafeteria, in the food fight scene.
(A little off topic, but thought I'ld throw it out there for GPs. :) )
Paul! How'ld you get in there? :D
I swear, I was just there to eat lunch. :oops:

Paul

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”