Keystoker 90-105 Not Burning Hot Enough

Schloss44
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90-105

Post by Schloss44 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 8:03 am

Hi everyone I will start off saying I'm used to a hand fed stove bought the keystoker used Still haven't got the hang of it What the barometric damper should be? How can I make it burn hotter without getting unburnt coal in ashes HELP!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 8:27 am

Start by reducing the feed rate a little and wait 1/2-1 hr. before next adjust to give time to respond fully. :idea:

Schloss44

Post by Schloss44 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 8:46 am

I cant figure how to make it hotter seems Iit should put off more heat?

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 10:38 am

Schloss44 wrote:I cant figure how to make it hotter seems Iit should put off more heat?
I found the feel of heat coming off a hand fired stove, compared to a stoker stove, are quite different. The stoker feels cooler.

The real question is; Is your stoker heating your house?

Un-burnt looking coal in the ashes is common for stokers. If "burning" coals are being pushed off the grate, do as McGiever said, turn back the feed.
Last edited by oliver power on Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schloss44

Post by Schloss44 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 10:48 am

Oliver do you have idea how to make the stove burn hotter without waste

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 11:20 am

Schloss44 wrote:Oliver do you have idea how to make the stove burn hotter without waste
What you're seeing is not waste. Here's how it was described to me. The pieces of coal in the ash are like a spent rifle cartridge. The useful energy in those pieces of coal have been spent. You still have the brass (piece of coal), but energy has been spent.

With a hand fired stove, the coals set on the grate much longer, eventually turning to powder.

Hopefully, you don't have your stoker in the living room. The fan noise will drive you crazy. installing a rheostat just before the circulation fan will quiet the stove. With the fan turned down, the stove will probably feel hotter. Shutting the fan off, will more than likely damage the stove.

Schloss44

Post by Schloss44 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Oliver thanks for the help much appreciated

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Three things,
Do you have carbon monoxide detectors installed to protect loved ones?
Do you have a barometric damper on flue pipe to regulate draft?
Do you have a manometer connected to measure draft?

Without the above 3 items and maybe a picture or 2 of the fire on grate it will be difficult to be much help to you. :(

Schloss44

Post by Schloss44 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 3:19 pm

I have co2 detectors also barometricdamper but no manometer unfortunately I don't know how to upload a pic to the message The ashes cover front 11/2 to 2 " Flame is blue not quite to the top though

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 4:29 pm

First of all, Welcome.

Which Thermostat do you have?

How do you have your Adjustment screw set for the feeder/pusher? should be screwed all the way in CW I think and then backed out about 4 turns to start.

Have you cleaned the grate holes and under the grate good?

How's your combustion air intake cover set? should be about 1/2 to 3/4 open.

Depending on the type of Baro Damper, there's a weight on the flapper that you adjust for proper Draft (when you get a draft gauge/manometer). there are setting on the weight that should get you close. .02-.04.

YOu'll always have some unburnt coal in your ash, that's typical, unless it a lot, thats not good, it's feeding too fast.

Schloss44

Post by Schloss44 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 5:01 pm

I will get a manometer It was all cleaned when I bought it I never screwed all the way in but I just looked and it might be down to far not hitting top at all I don't want to adjust myself out though Thanks for all your input

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Go here for manual. http://www.keystoker.com/service-manuals.php Which number applies to you? #8 is for direct vent. #22 is for natural draft (Chimney)

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Jan. 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Schloss44 wrote:Oliver do you have idea how to make the stove burn hotter without waste
What you're seeing is not waste. Here's how it was described to me. The pieces of coal in the ash are like a spent rifle cartridge. The useful energy in those pieces of coal have been spent. You still have the brass (piece of coal), but energy has been spent.

With a hand fired stove, the coals set on the grate much longer, eventually turning to powder.

Hopefully, you don't have your stoker in the living room. The fan noise will drive you crazy. installing a rheostat just before the circulation fan will quiet the stove.

I do agree with what is stated above. My Keystoker90 is in my family room, and it replaced a silent hopper fed Buderus. I have brought in combustion air to the combustion blower from the foundation wall behind the stove quieting the combustion motor a fair amount. Now the convection fan can actually make more noise when "throttled back" because a/c motors really need Pulse Width Modulation for speed control to change speed without added noise.
I run a Coal-trol which gives me the ability to change things the factory controls do not. The convection fan is quiet at low speeds and between low and 20 to 30% below high it also is reasonable. The convection fan noise does have a range that is in between which is not pleasant. I also did go with a ball bearing combustion fan, it reduces power consumption and is a bit quieter. Sound is a tough to troubleshoot because it is exponential.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”