Bags for Bagging

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. May. 19, 2008 2:42 pm

I have about 800 pounds of nut size coal that's in barrels. I'm thinking it would be easier to handle if it were in plastic bags. What type of bags are used? Where do you find them? I'm sure they need to be heavier than trash bags....don't they?

Thanks for any tips!

Fred

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. May. 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Get the bags from your local farm supply store or feed mill. They are made from a woven plastic.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. May. 19, 2008 3:28 pm

I have been shopping around for bags myself, I have found a bunch of places that sell flat poly bags but not many that have woven poly or burlap. Here are two that I found:
**Broken Link(s) Removed**http://www.polybagsupplies.com/

As for how heavy the poly bags should be, I think anything 4 mil or above would be fine. Anything less would tear too easily.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Mon. May. 19, 2008 4:44 pm

lsfarm had posted a link to the bags he bought awhile back. They were big though, ~1 ton bags. I think he got them on Ebay??

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. May. 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Those big bags on ebay are just that BIG,, you must have a forklift or tractor with a loader to move them.. The woven bags I get from a local Horse Stable.. they get some form of Horse feed in them, they unzip the sewed-together top and pour out the food,, then discard the baggs.. I get them for free.. they hold around 70-80# of coal if you want to fill them that full.

So I'd go ask around at your local Horse Stables, or call the local 4-H, and inquire, the bags are used for feed for all kinds of livestock..

Hope this helps.

Greg L

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. May. 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for the tips! It just struck me... I could make my own! Sheesh! I have 100 yard roll of burlap in the shop. Wouldn't take too long to stitch a bunch up. The burlap is about 40 inches wide..... maybe cut 30" pieces and end up with flat bags 28" by 20"? I'll try one & see how much it holds.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”