Dealing With Acid From Coal

gerry_g
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Electric, Propane

Post by gerry_g » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 9:44 am

I believe it has been discussed that even the best quality coal is acidic and that causes both hopper corrosion and etching of the ceramic "glass".

This is just food for thought, would mixing a little powdered limestone with the coal before adding it to the hopper likely help or would it cause some unforeseen problem? Limestone acts as a buffer, reacting with acid, typically, if soaked in water a long time, the PH of the water would be mildly alkaline but "hard". It's sort of hard to overdue limestone (except for acid loving plants) since it is more a buffer, not constantly increasing alkalinity.

About 10 years ago my town started adding powdered limestone (not the caustic lime) to our water supply. Before that our hot water heaters lasted only 5-8 years and the copper plumbing in homes were constantly corroding and leaking after 15 years or so. Also, the copper piping would etch from the acid water and leave a green residue on showers and baths.

Just a thought - might limestone help, hurt or do nothing? I hate the hopper corrosion and "glass" etching.

gerry

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 9:51 am

Hard to tell. Try it & take notes. Get back with results. ;)

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 11:24 am

Perhaps the various "bone" contaminants in coal can be replaced with a small and quantified amount of limestone measured to counter the nominal acidity. No idea what this might do. Might be ugly. Just thinking with my fingers.

Disclaimer: Do not try this at home. Needs a lab setting for trials first. Might just turn your ash bed into concrete, or worse... Likely will not neutralize coal acidity, although it is a base.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 12:28 pm

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 2:15 pm

etching glass with a stoker stove is a given I long gave up trying to clean/avoid it, use dry coal and you will have no hopper rust

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 3:19 pm

The only acid that I'm aware can etch (and even dissolve) glass is hydrofluoric (which I used to first analyze and later manufacture in my distant past). Every other acid up through concentrated sulfuric and aqua regia is stored in glass jugs. But then stove windows are not glass....
Last edited by lsayre on Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 3:21 pm

Bottom line still is--the proof is in the pudding!!!! Again, try it & get back with results. Hell, ya might have 8000 people doin it. ;)

gerry_g
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Electric, Propane

Post by gerry_g » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 7:10 pm

lsayre wrote:The only acid that I'm aware can etch (and even dissolve) glass is hydrofluoric (which I used to first analyze and later manufacture in my distant past). Every other acid up through concentrated sulfuric and aqua regia is stored in glass jugs. But then stove windows are not glass....
Correct, Leisure Line has confirmed it is ceramic and etched by acid from the coal. The acid (even mild) may contribute to hopper corrosion. Of course it will take a couple years to find out if it works.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 7:42 pm

My HITZER hopper is 1/4 inch steel & don't have a lick of wear/rust/acid whatever, it's been used since the 90's. Had to replace the bottom boot due to wood over-firing.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 11:20 pm

Doby wrote:etching glass with a stoker stove is a given I long gave up trying to clean/avoid it, use dry coal and you will have no hopper rust
Again,use dry coal and You'll not only avoid hopper corrosion,but You'll be allowing Your stove to operate like it should..... :sick: :up:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”