How Often Do You Clean Out?

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Wed. Dec. 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Sometimes I have fish a peace of slate out never really had to shut down cause of it tho.

Waswood
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 160

Post by Waswood » Wed. Dec. 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Thank you for all the replies . Some great info and gave a good ideal of what I need to do . I know that after that cleanout this DS is running us out of the house . Pretty warm out @ 45 today and the stove is set at 1/4 on the biometric damper and it was 82 upstairs with several windows open . Stove is heating just shy of 4000 sq foot. (Basement & upstairs). Everyone has learned to come here with short sleeves :D .

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Dec. 29, 2016 9:08 am

When I was running my Chubby I would need to shut down 1-2 times a season to clear the clinkers. When running my Glenwood 109 I never have to shut down. I run it from fall to spring with zero issues.

robb

Post by robb » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 8:09 pm

I am a little different I run a Hitzer stoker, but I can say it is all in the coal in my opinion. The guys on here taught me well when I started...but being cheap had me try someone else...WOW WHAT A MISTAKE!!! I had to clean my stoker every 3 wks or it would choke off the top flue exit point on the stove....I use only Blaschalk coal now, turn it on in October and off in March...clean it good...put a Damprid bucket in it and ready for next year...

larryfoster
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 617-B
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hot Blast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous nut (me and the coal)
Other Heating: Propane Kerosene

Post by larryfoster » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 9:00 am

10 days to 2 weeks with my "beloved" Hotblast.
:oops:

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 5:06 pm

robb wrote:I am a little different I run a Hitzer stoker, but I can say it is all in the coal in my opinion. The guys on here taught me well when I started...but being cheap had me try someone else...WOW WHAT A MISTAKE!!! I had to clean my stoker every 3 wks or it would choke off the top flue exit point on the stove....I use only Blaschalk coal now, turn it on in October and off in March...clean it good...put a Damprid bucket in it and ready for next year...
I am sure the coal quality certainly does help as you say, but I also wonder if the more modern shaker designs are just less effective than some of the older units. I have a round shaker grate in mine and it does a nice job with the middle of the fire, but I find that I have to stir up the corners of the fire about once a week to keep a good fire. The grinder style grates seem to do better with the whole fire and shaking it down. I know mine round grates do not do well with clinkers at all. I have to pull them through the top of the fire when I get them. I usually do the weekly stir up when I have some extra time as it take a little more care and layering to get the fire back after messing with it.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sat. Jan. 14, 2017 11:00 pm

I had a Chubby for years...round shaker grate...got a MKIII with rotating grates.... I wish I always had that MKIII.....what a huge difference in cleaning etc. better yet wish I had a stoker back then... keeps my house withing a degree even when temps are in the 50's or more.. idles down so nice... no internet back in 1982 when I bought the Chubby..had no idea what was on the Market etc. had to get info in the rural area I lived...

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”