Stockton Mine Going Bankrupt

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 7:22 pm

I was talking to the distrubutor where I get my coal today. (Martin Ag in New Holland, PA formerly Country Meadows Coal). I was just shooting the breeze with them about their coal. I questioned them on their Blashak, Stockton, and Jeddo coal. He told me that they sent their coal to an independent testing laboratory and they all came out about the same. Jeddo was the hardest but not by much. They also said heat output should be about the same. They said Blashak is the cleanest coal they have with Stockton as a close second. He indicated the Jeddo is a "Dirty" coal with more fines and wood than the others. I told him I have 6 ton of their Stockton on hand. This prompted him to tell me that as of late Stocktons quality has been unstable. He said this is due to the company being on the verge of bankruptcy! Has anyone else heard about this? I love the way Stockton burns but I bought all my coal in the spring. If they fold I may go to Jeddo as I hear mixed reviews about Santa's coal. However the supplier today stated that the tests indicate they are right there at the top with the best :?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 7:31 pm

My Stockton coal has a lot of wood in it. It seems to have some shale too, I feel it grinding at shake and see it in the ash pan. It is burning good and producing good heat though.

I'm gonna see if my coal guy will get me a load of Lehigh next summer.

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 7:39 pm

I have no wood at all in my Stockton. Maybe I just got lucky. Ive heard people like lehigh but that isnt something my distributor offers. I can go up and get it in the pickup I suppose, but then I have to pay for the diesel, the trailer rental, and shovel it all into my bins :( May be switching to Jeddo or Santa

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 10:29 pm

Not a thing in the world wrong with BLASCHAK (SANTA) BULK BB, been burnin nut with a lil stove mixed in for years with no complaints. Went straight NUT this year. Sometimes the STOVE size gets hung up in the hopper 7 ya just got to poke it down at tending time--I'm thinkin it was because I was at the bottom of my bin & the STOVE was kinda heavy there. Anywho--back to straight NUT. Burns nice, ash is in the ball park :blah:

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Sat. Dec. 17, 2016 7:12 pm

freetown fred wrote:Not a thing in the world wrong with BLASCHAK (SANTA) BULK BB, been burnin nut with a lil stove mixed in for years with no complaints. Went straight NUT this year. Sometimes the STOVE size gets hung up in the hopper 7 ya just got to poke it down at tending time--I'm thinkin it was because I was at the bottom of my bin & the STOVE was kinda heavy there. Anywho--back to straight NUT. Burns nice, ash is in the ball park :blah:
FF same here, got 8 ton of Blaschak nut this fall/summer and my distributer says its washed and what I have sure looks it. Shiney black diamonds. Running fine in two different brand stoves, Hitzer and DS :D A few days ago my house was hit with near continuous 30 mph winds with lowest temp recorded @ +1 deg. It went on for almost two days. I left upstairs Hitzer at idle and bumped the basement DS up a half turn (middle setting) on the heat control. 68 deg. in the basement and never lower than 74 upstairs. Shakes out nice, makes white ash, found a small amount of tramp wood so far. Hard time holding a minimum of .05 on the mano during the windy spell with MPD. When everything's right I prefer .02-.03. Might try two MPD"s next year.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sat. Dec. 17, 2016 7:38 pm

This is my third year with Blaschak, excellent coal!!! Tried reading one year just because the dealer delivered. What a nightmare. Never again. As long as I can get Blaschak that is what I will use.
Jim

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 17, 2016 8:00 pm

freetown fred wrote:Not a thing in the world wrong with BLASCHAK (SANTA) BULK BB, been burnin nut with a lil stove mixed in for years with no complaints. Went straight NUT this year. Sometimes the STOVE size gets hung up in the hopper & ya just got to poke it down at tending time--I'm thinkin it was because I was at the bottom of my bin & the STOVE was kinda heavy there. Anywho--back to straight NUT. Burns nice, ash is in the ball park :blah:

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Dec. 18, 2016 6:47 am

coalder wrote:This is my third year with Blaschak, excellent coal!!! Tried reading one year just because the dealer delivered. What a nightmare. Never again. As long as I can get Blaschak that is what I will use.
Jim
I never used any Stockton coal,i did use Blashack nut & rice,did not like their nut,rice was so terribly dusty. I used lots of Reading in both nut & rice & liked it very much,now I am using Gale nut & rice & like it very much,i have burnt close to 20 ton of Gale rice.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 18, 2016 7:41 am

I bought a TT load of Stockton rice a few years ago. It burned well but did not seem have quite as much BTU content
BlackBetty06 wrote:He indicated the Jeddo is a "Dirty" coal with more fines and wood than the others.
as some of the other coal I have burned.

I heard the same thing 7-8 years ago, but the Jeddo coal I have seen since then was very clean. If you are curious about their product, go get some.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Well I'm getting a little surprise with my Stockton currently. My ash is a nice light brown instead of white. Also, I'm getting ash bound in the Hitzer and have to poke around the hopper and in the front to get all the ash down so I don't get dead spots. I'm not real happy

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Dec. 19, 2016 4:00 am

I'm fairly certain that Stockton is the largest of the US anthracite mines, and they sell more anthracite than any of the others. If it is going bankrupt, that is not a good sign.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Dec. 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Hopefully it was just jibber jabber and the guy didn't know what he was talking about. I have 6 ton of Stockton on hand. Might try a few bags of Santa. They don't sell jeddo in bags where I buy. Just bulk :mad:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Dec. 19, 2016 8:05 pm

BlackBetty06 wrote:Hopefully it was just jibber jabber and the guy didn't know what he was talking about.
More than likely that is the case.

Stay warm.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”