Very Skilled Wood Cutting

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 1:35 am

WOW, yawn... Time to throw a few lumps of black rocks on the fire and go to bed. I am exhausted just watching that one. ... OK, perhaps just one more video before I go...

Thx PA. I wonder about the true cost of this operation excluding back surgery of course.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 6:26 am

The guy in the first video needs to get his chain professionally sharpened,it was painful to watch how slow he cut thru & all the dust he made.
The second video is so funny,can't say how many times I have seen that . :rofl: toothy

CN,you did bring back painful memories of the hard labor that I endured for 8 yrs with my OWB +many more yrs of cutting wood.

WOW !! Am I ever glad to be done with all of that !!!! :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 7:24 am

After watching those two videos I feel like I am living the life of luxury.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 7:57 am

First video is a reminder of my 20's....I don't miss them.

The guy in the second video is hilarious, even his answers in the comments made me laugh. "you should come see my setup...ask your girlfriend how to get here..." LOL

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 8:37 am

Rob R. wrote:After watching those two videos I feel like I am living the life of luxury.
Rob,you are not alone,I too feel that way about my heating setup now. While watching those 2 videos,i was thinking about my past painful amount of hrs with the OWB & all that wood & now my coal system with so little time & effort :D

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 10:01 am

I'd have to be really hard up to do that much work to burn fir :shock: I was up in Alaska two years ago on a mission trip to do work at a summer camp and they had OWBs and burnt spruce and aspen they had to buy because cutting was only allowed in certain areas, cords and cords of it at $400 a cord. There was a coal mine two hours away and they never thought of burning coal... :bang:

Attachments

y u no burn coal.jpg
.JPG | 65.8KB | y u no burn coal.jpg

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 10:35 am

I heated my house for 30 years with wood, and I was always warm. I still heat my garage with wood because it gets warmer much quicker. It is more work , but for some who have an excess of it , it's worth it. Cutting firewood and splitting is good exercise. I never had to go to the gym to get excersise. I burn wood in the house on really cold days cause the chubby can't keep up. I have both stove in my.basement. I really enjoy the coal though , way less work , but I have to buy it. There are pros and cons to both. Some day I wood like to have a bigger coal stove in the basement, :)

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 11:02 am

Burned 10 cords/year for 30 yrs+. Figuring 1 ton/cord green for hardwood, and moving each cord at least 5 times, BY HAND, to get it into the wood boiler in the basement from dropping the trees, limbing, bucking into 12' lengths, hauling those 12 footers by tractor to a header, bucking them at the header to 2' long pieces, splitting each piece, then stacking the split wood at the header. Let it dry for 8+ months, load it on a trailer to haul it to the basement, unload it at the basement, stack it in the basement, and then pick up each piece to put into the boiler. Summary :10 cords/year x 2,000 lbs/cord x 30 years =300 tons of wood moved! Great exercise when younger, a chore when your 61. Had the project down to 66 hrs/year, not bad, but moving 5 tons of bagged coal 10 feet is a LOT NICER!

BunkerdCaddis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 11:03 am

Logs wrote:I heated my house for 30 years with wood
About 25 years for me, the first couple w/ a small 1910 vintage cabinet stove and then an OWB. I have 20 acres of woods with a lot of locust, cherry and hackberry, I never bought wood (and the notion of paying $400 a cord for spruce just boggles my brain). The last three years have been coal for me and like Rob said
Rob R. wrote:I feel like I am living the life of luxury.
Still working on getting the whole set up together but for the time being my little waterford makes for a very comfortable house.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 11:12 am

More entertainment

Love it.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 11:17 am

Logs wrote:I heated my house for 30 years with wood, and I was always warm. I still heat my garage with wood because it gets warmer much quicker. It is more work , but for some who have an excess of it , it's worth it. Cutting firewood and splitting is good exercise. I never had to go to the gym to get excersise. I burn wood in the house on really cold days cause the chubby can't keep up. I have both stove in my.basement. I really enjoy the coal though , way less work , but I have to buy it. There are pros and cons to both. Some day I wood like to have a bigger coal stove in the basement, :)
There can be a certain amount of satisfaction/enjoyment to burning wood,maybe 1-3 cords per yr,or even less than that. :P
8 yrs of cutting/splitting/stacking & tending the OWB with 30 cords burnt each yr was not fun !!! :no1: :mad3:

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 11:28 am

For your entertainment. Cutting trees ain't for sissys or retards. If you don't have a clue what you are doing, then hire a professional!!!!!

https://youtu.be/JHZkR6UVegY

BunkerdCaddis

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 11:36 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:There can be a certain amount of satisfaction/enjoyment to burning wood,maybe
Ah yes, the satisfaction of the virtue of hardship :lol: That's why the boiler I have to get put in is a hand-fed :funny: ...No I know what you mean, but I've got better things to do with my time now, like sit in front of the coal fire rubbing the dogs back with my foot :shh:

BunkerdCaddis

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 11:56 am

Logs wrote:For your entertainment. Cutting trees ain't for sissys or retards. If you don't have a clue what you are doing, then hire a professional!!!!!

https://youtu.be/JHZkR6UVegY
Oh man that's funny stuff right there that is, at least some of those guys were tied off, although tying off by my foot is not what I would choose. Actually saw two guys do that sort of thing years ago across the road from the transmission shop I worked at. They had a tree along the road and didn't want it to go out on the road so they tied a rope from their truck to the tree. Yep, we all saw it coming, one guy cut and the other guy took of in the truck and pulled the tree right down on top of the truck. Not sure why they used a rope shorter than the tree...

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 1:23 pm

then hire a professional!!!!!
Yeah, right .. you obviously don't live near me.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”