Very Skilled Wood Cutting

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Tue. Dec. 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Clousseau wrote:Burned 10 cords/year for 30 yrs+. Figuring 1 ton/cord green for hardwood, and moving each cord at least 5 times, BY HAND, to get it into the wood boiler in the basement from dropping the trees, limbing, bucking into 12' lengths, hauling those 12 footers by tractor to a header, bucking them at the header to 2' long pieces, splitting each piece, then stacking the split wood at the header. Let it dry for 8+ months, load it on a trailer to haul it to the basement, unload it at the basement, stack it in the basement, and then pick up each piece to put into the boiler. Summary :10 cords/year x 2,000 lbs/cord x 30 years =300 tons of wood moved! Great exercise when younger, a chore when your 61. Had the project down to 66 hrs/year, not bad, but moving 5 tons of bagged coal 10 feet is a LOT NICER!
Amen +1 :D Everybody ages differently but @ 67 years old I quit the wood.....for good! I was in my mid 20's when I started the woodburning and really felt like I was "beating the system" but in fact I was beating myself. Same as Clousseau, my wood did not come to me in tri-axle loads. Why should I pay someone for a minor convienience of having it dropped in my wood lot! I have a Kubota B7100, a 3 ton hydraulic splitter and 2 Stihl saws. Also surrounded by free wood. My wood was not used in a pretty fireplace for holidays and simple entertainment. I fed 2 woodstoves for whole-house heat 24/7 all winter long. I wish I had gone to coal many years ago and could re-purpose all those hours of messing with wood.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Holy crap, you guys just described 40 yrs of my life. I remember my first summer of not hauling wood--I was lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Wed. Dec. 07, 2016 10:14 am

Amen +2. My first year burning coal after 35 yrs. dropping, dragging, cutting & splitting wood from my 37 acres of land. Now I don't know what to do as I keep looking at my glowing Harman and I have to wait till evening or morning before I can do anything. At least its a hand fired and I do get to load and shake it twice a day. :) Need to find a new hobby.

J. L.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Dec. 07, 2016 10:27 am

Also surrounded by free wood.
and it's a damned nuisance, last year a 100' red oak came crashing down destroying fences galore. I had to take my 30 ton excavator and my Cat 955 and push it back onto my neighbors property. Now on the other side, a chit load of stuff fell down fell down a few weeks ago in a wind. With coal I feel like I am beating the system, I just leave the cr ap on the ground until I feel like cleaning it up next summer, or the next summer, or sometime never.

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Wed. Dec. 07, 2016 3:10 pm

CN, I know. I've got two big hard maples laying in the field behind my house, one on the south end and one on the north end. Cant mow the field (properly) till they are gone. I do not want to mess with them. All wood processing equipment has not been used in 3 years and I don't intend to ;)
I have sent out word to some of the local woodburners to come get them for free but no takers yet. Worse come to worse my Massey 135 has enough chit to shove them off into the hedge & they can rot down and return to the earth, though someone on the forum mentioned that rotting wood releases CO :shock:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Yep, I hear Al Gore did an expensive study on that!! :clap: toothy

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Dec. 07, 2016 4:40 pm

rotting wood releases CO
As enough trees fall in the North East and get forgotten to power the nation, a little extra CO does not keep me up at night.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”