Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Machines Aqua Gem
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Anthra Glo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Anthramax Comfort Max
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Rice and Stove
Other Heating: Gas and pellet stoves

Post by jremington » Mon. Oct. 17, 2016 6:12 pm

They clear cut areas, build on it or turn it into crop land and call it renewable energy.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Mon. Oct. 17, 2016 6:39 pm

jremington wrote:I had to take the coarse for NYSERDA and within a couple minutes I asked the guy if he realized he used the words clean and efficient in the same sentence with pellet stove. I don't think they liked me after that. It seems this program is to help bail out the pellet makers for the money they lost last year. It's also going to drive the cost of firewood and all wood products higher. People can't afford to buy wood in our area any longer. We have Fort Drum that's burning an estimated 11 acres a week in their co gen plant. It's driven the cost of logs sky high. If you can get a load. Our last load cost 40 a face cord before touching them with a saw.
you are right!! My son is stationed at Ft Drum and since Obama ruled that burning coal at ANY fed installation is forbidden, Drum has absorbers most or all of the firewood in that areas. Told me that Drum has HUGE coal fired generators that took care of all electric on base; now they burn wood. An Ol boy in that area opened a coal store, I believe named "Black Diamond", cloud be wrong, but doing a great business with locals as wood is not available. Again the little guy suffers under the oppression of the progressives.
Jim

Sopwith
Hand Fed Coal Stove: surdiac 720
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: vogelzang wood/coal furnace.
Coal Size/Type: pea/ poss. nut
Other Heating: older than dirt thermopride oil burner. Ashley wood stove

Post by Sopwith » Thu. Oct. 20, 2016 1:41 pm

ad356 wrote:i burned pellets for 6 years. what a waste of money. there is no amount of money the government could throw at me to buy another one of these green energy boondoggle pieces of garbage. started out with a piece of junk tractor supply stove. it was terrible, consistent problems with clinkers building up in the burnpot. absolutely terrible design. I ended up selling that and buying a Harman P61. I was told I would burn 4 ton, I burned 6 ton and the house was still lucky to break 60 degrees on a cold day with the stove running full out. sure it produced less ass but I would put 4 or sometimes even 5 bags in the stove per day when it was extremely cold. the stove did heat and perform better then the tractor supply stove, but how could it be any worse? after 3 years of burning the Harman P61, lack of pellet availability in the dead of winter, and costs per ton that kept climbing I got fed up. I sold the stove for almost 1/3 of what I paid for it just to get rid of it.

i found a wonderful keystoker 90K off of craigslist for $800 and I could not be happier. it produces much more heat, it burns less "fuel" and saves me significant amounts of money even in the first year running it. I burned around 3 ton. the cost to run it last year was less then $800 to heat an old plank construction farmhouse built in 1895. the house has some newer windows and some improved insulation but its still old and not that tight. I really don't have the $$ to throw at making further improvements in the home at it this point. even if I improved insulation I will still keep the coal and just reduce the amount of coal used.

i discovered further benefits of coal. I was able to safely reuse and an old chimney that I was told not to use for burning wood. I discovered the lower flu temps of a coal stove, an exhaust temperature of 150 degrees Fahrenheit is hardly a fire risk. its not that the chimney is crumbling and falling down, just that it has cracked flu tiles. I also feel that my family is safe with a stove that would never create a chimney fire, the exhaust just isn't hot enough to be a worry. so long as I have a good CO detector I feel that its safer heat then almost anything else. wood carries risk of chimney fire and natural gas carries the risk of explosion in the event of a leak. coal is no dirtier then wood pellets, that's a big fat lie they are probably about the same.

i would not burn pellets again even if a stove was given to me. the cost of running it isnt going to be economical, they are a waste of time, money and energy. pellet stoves have glaring problems. they don't heat that well, pellets cost as much as coal and if you are getting 1.4x less heat, it makes no sense.

educated people arent going to be fooled so easily. I think they are probably more people that move to coal from pellets then vice-versa. I think people get sick of pellets, I know I did. it never saved me a penny and the heat kind of sucked, especially on a cold day.
I agree completely . I went through the same deal as you, and will add the electronic boards always fail and as you say the heat is not that great . And the fans just get louder as time goes by. I can't even say the money I wasted on those things.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Oct. 22, 2016 7:52 am

And I shudder to think I almost bought a used pellet stove 3 years ago before I found and joined this forum :eek2: ... (raises coffee mug in toast to the fine educators on the board :cheers: )

ad356

Post by ad356 » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 8:39 am

[/quote]
I agree completely . I went through the same deal as you, and will add the electronic boards always fail and as you say the heat is not that great . And the fans just get louder as time goes by. I can't even say the money I wasted on those things.[/quote]

i think my keystoker is kind of susceptible to SOME of the same problems. it has two blowers and a stoker motor/gearbox. it does seem to me however, instead of having expensive control boards, it has a fairly simple control system. it has an electro-mechanical control system that I feel is a whole lot more reliable then a complex pellet stove.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”