Lehigh Miners Big Explosion

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Jun. 25, 2016 1:33 pm

Mike an Stash were 2 miners now laid off over a year .They decided to go into the outhouse an cesspool cleaning business .The year was 1952 an cesspools an outhouses were common il Panther Valley a coal region area .Ther procedure was lower a stick of Dynamite down the outhouse or cesspool an cover the dynamite with a heavy weight or rock .This caused the blast to Blow Downward an free up the blockage .Well they got a call from a Bethlehem Steel magnate .They loaded the 46 Chevy panel truck with tools an drove to Saucon Valley . An area of Mansions all Bethlehem big bosses .The house had a new Packard in the driveway .Ther was a patio tennis courts and a large house .Well the gardener showed Mike an Stash the problem cesspool .Stash begged mike let me do it im always the helper .Reluctlently Mike said go ahead .Stash scooped a hole in the cesspool and For Good Measure lowered @ sticks of dynamite down the hole .That two sticks instead of one .Stash wired the two sticks up an connected the dynamite to the blasting caps .This will make Mike proud stash thought .But he forgot the weight on top of the dynamite .Boom boom the shot went off .Well the Stuff yes the the stuff Blew Upwards since Stash forgot The Weight .The Stuff was In an On the new Packard on the patio an in the pool .And All Over The House .The Owner came out an screamed what did you do > My house my car .Well the Dombroski cesspool career ended that day in Bethlehem .Oh byline Stash tried to collect for the Job .Jack enjoy .

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jun. 25, 2016 1:39 pm

:clap: toothy Nice Jack!!!!!!! Thanx

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Jun. 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Awesome story, Jack. Did this have anything to do with the invention of those vacuum trucks? :lol:

Mike

Patch
Coal Size/Type: 2.5 ton of rice with no stove
Other Heating: Wood Pellet

Post by Patch » Sun. Jun. 26, 2016 7:34 am

I was born and raised in Bethlehem, and that joke was told to me by my father (RIP). My older brother to this day enjoys telling the story, with great enthusiasm, so much that he will bring himself to tears laughing. Our version of the story tells of toilet paper hanging from tree branches in the area.

Did you hear when Stash and Yash were working a carpentry job, and Stash was throwing away half the nails? Yash asked, "Stash, why are you throwing away all these nails?" Stash said, "The head of the nail is on the wrong end." Yash got upset, "You stupid idiot, those go on the other side of the wall!"

My brother and I call each other Stash and Yash. He is Yash, and I am Stash. (growing up as a white ethnic, in a steel town, these were terms of endearment between two brothers )

Side story:
My Uncle Steve (RIP) blew off the center 3 fingers of his left hand playing with blasting caps on a wood cook stove, as a child. Only had a thumb and pinky. Was a certified steam pipe fitter/welder and a great archer. (So the dynamite - outhouse story was plausible if my Uncle Steve was injured playing with explosives [from a child's point of view])

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”