Dirty Glass

kobra44

Post by kobra44 » Tue. Dec. 06, 2005 6:21 pm

Hi. I have a Stratford SC100 Coal stove. It have a glass front on the door. I keep getting a hard to clean resign on the inside of the glass that I have to clean with a single edge razor to get it off and nothing will touch it. What is causing this and is there a cleaner for glass?
Thanks

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Dec. 07, 2005 11:55 am

I clean ours almost everyday, our stove came with special glass cleaner with silicone. It makes it easy to clean next time. Removes the soot and discoloration.
Brand: RUTLAND HEARTH & GRILL CONDITIONING GLASS CLEANER.

peggy

Post by peggy » Wed. Dec. 14, 2005 8:29 am

ash on a damp paper towel works great

AL-53

Post by AL-53 » Mon. Dec. 26, 2005 11:49 am

I use a glass cleaner called invisible glass to get most of the removable soot and stuff..then I use a glass cleaner for ceramic top stoves...it does a great job..plus leaves a silicone coating to make future cleaning a breeze..it is the same stuff as the rutland stuff..but half the price...bought mine at wally mart..3.49 a bottle...does a great job....

Al

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Wed. Dec. 28, 2005 5:57 am

Last week cleaning up the old Mark III, I used car cleaner polish ( not wax ). It actually worked. It cleaned the glass well except for the haze on the glass. I even tried the razor blade but it was a lost cause. But the glass was 100% cleaner than when I started.

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Tue. Feb. 21, 2006 8:05 pm

I know this is an old topic and I surely do not want to drag it out again, but I have discovered an excellent & cheap glass cleaner. In my last post I suggested using car cleaner polish ( not wax ) It worked okay but a considerable amount of elbow grease was necessary.

I went one step back in the paint cleaning process and tried some Turtle Wax rubbing compound which can be found at Wmart for $2. It works like a champ. The glass is easily cleaned. Use the mild compound in the green tub. Do not use the red product as it contains abrasives.

Mlou

Post by Mlou » Tue. Feb. 21, 2006 10:04 pm

Question for those of you that are cleaning your glass. Are you burning anthracite or bituminous coal? I never have "soot" or anything on my glass that would need to be scraped off. I vacuum off the dust once a week, then wash with windex, that is all I need to do. :?: Just curious.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Feb. 22, 2006 6:20 am

I've seen many stoves with discolored windows that burn anthracite, usually after many years of use. Maybe becuase you keep up with it that it doesn't get bad.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”