Good Use for Coal Ash

Freespirit
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Pea or Nut

Post by Freespirit » Wed. May. 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi guys I put 8 garbage bags of coal ash to good use today. My nice mail person saw fit to leave me a second notice that my mail box was 1" higher than it was suppose to be from the bottom of the box to the tire mark from the vehicle. Well just getting out of work this struck a bad cord with me being tired and just wanting to relax :mad: . :idea: But I didn't instead I went and grabbed my wagon loaded it with bags of ash and went and started spreading and stomping on it. I then went back for another load and spread that and stomped on it. Then I went and grabbed the garden hose and watered and stomped, watered and stomped it is nice and hard problem solved. Tomorrow I will probable get a warning that now my mail box is shorter than it is suppose to be. If that is the case anyone remember the movie with Clint Eastwood and his orangutan right turn Clyde :box: (Every which way but loose). I will get a mechanical arm and stuff it in the box when opened it will let loose with a punch :poke: . I bet I won't get anymore complaints then and probably no more mail. :clap:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. May. 18, 2016 7:09 pm

Nice move FS--hmmm, no more mail---------that'll work for me!! :clap: toothy

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. May. 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Good use of the ash - it will last. Shoulda told him his vehicle made the ruts in front of the mailbox that made it appear too high!

I did the same thing with my ash because of the rut there, but our mail lady did not complain. She is a good one, will bring things to our back deck if its too big for the box. I make sure to give a good Christmas tip each year.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. May. 18, 2016 8:35 pm

Using ash to take care of an ash-hole. Very fitting ! :D

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. May. 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Only 1" too high and they complained? Thats getting pretty fussy. Good fix for the problem!

Lu47Dan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sears circulator air tight stove.
Other Heating: Crown 115,000 BTU oil fired boiler(house) Weil Mclain 150,000BTU oil fired boiler(Shop)

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed. May. 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Hell my mailbox was too high for a few years until the road was paved. Now it is just right.
My mailman never complained about it
Dan.

Nessumo
Other Heating: Gas boilerboiler :(

Post by Nessumo » Thu. May. 19, 2016 2:32 am

So your neighbour measured it, on the chance it was a bit tall? I think someone needs a hobby

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit » Thu. May. 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Well no nasty note in my mail box about my box being too short now. :up: Unless they did not bring their tape measure today. My coal addition held up and we have gotten rain so hopefully it will last awhile. If they do leave a note saying it is too short, my reply is going to be keep driving on it eventually it will be just the right size. :)

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 11:18 am

We have had at times this summer torrential down pours like being in a rain forest. Ash has held up nicely and no complaints from the mail lady.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 11:45 am

The rains only make my ash covered driveway better.

Heavy rains tends to wash ash from the high spots into the lower areas to make the driveway more level. Plus the rains help work the ash down into the gravel to compact it.

Now, to drive on it and do snow removal it's more like a pored concrete driveway. And, no more scooping up and throwing stones with the snowblower. Yet, it drains rain water down through it almost as fast as when it was only gravel. And because it is not bound together like concrete or asphalt, there's no frost heave problems of cracking and lifting with winter ground freezing like concrete and asphalt driveways get within a few winters here. Every spring, when the ground thaws, it just goes along for the ride and remains compact and level.

Paul

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”