Coal Stoker Stoves... Noise?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Apr. 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Good day!

I have a friend that might consider a coal stove but last year bought a corn stove and it was so noisey that he uninstalled it! The noise from the two fans and auger was just annoying. The question is... do the coal stoker stoves that go in your living room make much noise?

Thanks!

xackley

Post by xackley » Sat. Apr. 19, 2008 3:58 pm

My stoker doesn't make nearly as much noise as my fathers pellet stove, but I think it is still too much. The 2 major noises will be the combustion fan and the convection fan.
Good thing is that noise level can be tested at the store.

The Tri-burn system used by Reading is probably the quietest as it uses one motor for feeding coal and combustion, which means the combustion fan doesn't run all the time.

For my living area I am looking at adding a Hitzer gravity fed top loader. Silent, with a decent burn time.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sat. Apr. 19, 2008 9:42 pm

If you install a fresh air supply and hook it directly to the combustion blower it cuts down the noise considerably. All blowers move air and moving air will make noise. My coal stoker is much quieter than my corn stove was. Even hand fed stoves with a convection blower will make noise. My coal stoker is in my dining room so it does not cause any noise problems in my living room. Most corn/pellet stoves blow air across a heat exchanger made from tubes and much of the noise comes from the air going around the tubes. Most coal stoves blow air up the back and across the top and there are no tubes to cause turbulance and noise.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Apr. 20, 2008 7:49 am

Freddy wrote: I have a friend that might consider a coal stove but last year bought a corn stove and it was so noisey that he uninstalled it! The noise from the two fans and auger was just annoying. The question is... do the coal stoker stoves that go in your living room make much noise?
Here is one of the threads regarding reducing noise, also there is a link to the mods av8r made to his stove: Post by av8r - Quieter Is Better...
If my recollection is correct he went to great lengths to make his stove as quiet as possible.

As already suggested one alternative is a hopper style hand fed stove, although the fan noise can be annoying on any stove and that is what av8r made some mods to quiet down.

I would recommend going to a showroom and listening to the various brands and see what your impression is since everyone has different ideas of noisy. :)

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Apr. 20, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks for the replies. Showroom? I wish there was one! Nearest one is 200 miles away LOL. Maybe a weekend trip sometime would be a good thing.

If nothing else.... one of the links showed me the exact blower that I need for a wood stove I have at my cottage. I've been looking for it for almost three years! I ordered it. Yippeee! That blower on the wood stove can be a bit loud. I installed a common dimmer switch and made it variable speed. It seems half speed if five times quieter and moves plenty of air. I didn't trust the dimmer at first but it's never gotten hot. Maybe making the stoker fans variable speed would have good results too.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”