Hi From Uk

Nessumo
Other Heating: Gas boilerboiler :(

Post by Nessumo » Fri. May. 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi,

I'm from the UK, I don't currently burn coal, I wish I did, my Grandad did, and my sister burns briquettes. I love coal and have a bit if "bit" I light with a torch to enjoy the smell (memories). I'd love to try your gorgeous looking anthracite, touch it feel it, smell it.

Anyway I got some docs on coal briquettes in the UK. There's more available if you're interested, if not feel free to move /delete.

Thanks

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php?country=england

I can't seem to add the pdfs on my phone. If there's interest I'll do it later on my pc

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. May. 13, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi Nessumo,

Welcome to the forum. Too bad we can't hear that delightful British accent as well.

Interesting chart of acceptable fuels. We have had posted here other lists of coal available in the UK that does include anthracite, or hard coal. I don't think you would like the smell as there is none except for a light sulphur small at times depending on sulphur content which is low.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. May. 13, 2016 3:04 pm

Nessumo

Hi and WELCOME!!!! There is a member here on this forum that lives in Greece who has Anthracite shipped to him from Germany. Might be something to look into. If memory serves me there was and maybe still is some Anthracite being mined in the UK.

I know back in the 70's and 80's we did export a fair number of our Chubby Stoves to the UK and Ireland. If you ever happen to bump into someone who has one we would love to hear about it.

Again.. WELCOME and if you have any questions don't be shy about asking them. Lots of help is available here!
Ciao!
Mark

http://www.chubbystove.com

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. May. 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Nessumo wrote:Anyway I got some docs on coal briquettes in the UK. There's more available if you're interested
Yes, add some more information, I'm curious what the briquettes are about. I assume they are some kind of compressed and standard-sized bituminous or lignite??? Are they widely used for heat, or just for recreation to make a pretty fire in a fireplace, or what? Do they burn cleaner and with less smoke than your other forms of coal? How many BTUs per pound? How much do they cost? Are there legal restrictions on what solid fuels you can burn, due to pollution concerns?

Nessumo

Post by Nessumo » Fri. May. 13, 2016 3:26 pm

I was wondering why America doesn't use products like this. I read a lot about "fines" and it seems a good way to use them.

I've lurked a lot and learned as much as a 22 ton uae harmony bulk rice delivery ;)

rberq

Post by rberq » Fri. May. 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Nessumo wrote:I keep a chunk of "bit" in my bedroom and light a bit with a small blow torch (with Windows open) just to enjoy the smell am I weird?
Yes, you are weird. You should fit right in here.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. May. 13, 2016 3:32 pm

rberq wrote:
Nessumo wrote:I keep a chunk of "bit" in my bedroom and light a bit with a small blow torch (with Windows open) just to enjoy the smell am I weird?
Yes, you are weird. You should fit right in here.
Yes, fits right in. I like to throw soft coal in once in a while just to go outside and see the black smoke billowing out of the chimney :lol: Try that with dry firewood!

Im pretty sure some here stuff their pillows with coal for cushioning.

Nessumo

Post by Nessumo » Fri. May. 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Basically because of the smog killing people in the 50s, and to use the anthracite fines from Welsh mines, the government researched smokeless fuel. They compress fines with a binder (portland cement, even molasses). The link above tells you the specific composition, most are anthracite fines and petcoke.

I don't know about the BTU tbh I am no expert. There are many different types with varying characteristics, fire life, heat, flame, etc. Mist urban areas are smoke free zones so you can't Burn house coal (bit).

Hope this helps

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. May. 13, 2016 3:52 pm

Hello, and welcome to the board. I grew up in the Southampton area and yes we had a Rayburn fueled by Phurnacite and it was smokeless and very clean. Due to XS UK regulations, production moved to Poland and the like (with less regs) and the product was considerably less pure. We actually had one poster who wanted to sell the idea in the US but his costs were through the roof. Chestnut anthracite from PA here is a very good product and burns super clean, meanwhile the little dust left from screening just collects. Costs in the US will not really allow processing of them.

One of my memories from my youth were going to visit my mother in London and the pea souper fogs (as we called them) were commonplace. That fog was DENSE. A lot of it was caused by burning of not so good bit coal in grates coupled with normal British fog and too many cars and you could not see your hand outscretched and very tough to drive in. Hence started the coal not allowed areas and I do not see that changing.

rberq

Post by rberq » Fri. May. 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Nessumo wrote:most are anthracite fines and petcoke ... I don't know about the BTU
Wikipedia tells me that petcoke is about 90% carbon, so that plus anthracite fines in a compressed briquette should produce about the same heat per pound as Pennsylvania anthracite. If the compressed density is similar to anthracite then it seems like it should burn about the same.

How much does the stuff cost if you buy it in house-heating quantities? (We will probably need a few conversion tables to get from kilograms / tonnes / Euros / pounds (money) to dollars and pounds (weight), but we will figure it out. :)

Nessumo

Post by Nessumo » Fri. May. 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Use post code L355tg

https://www.coals2u.co.uk/

It's cheaper locally.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. May. 13, 2016 5:32 pm

If anyone has any wild ideas about making coal briquettes here in the good ole USA, read the article below and feel free to give either Larry or myself a call. I am sure we can work something out. :D

http://www.inc.com/magazine/19820301/4977.html

rberq

Post by rberq » Fri. May. 13, 2016 6:02 pm

Nessumo wrote:Use post code L355tg
https://www.coals2u.co.uk/
So if all my conversions are right, somewhere around $575 to $700 a ton, twice what I pay for anthracite (and I pay a lot because of distance from the coal fields).

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Fri. May. 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Whew! I thought pro-pain was pricey!!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. May. 14, 2016 12:18 am

Welcome to da forum .... hey, I found a cat, is it yours?

I think I also found a French cat ... maybe you know the owner?

http://i.imgur.com/Ut0pMFh.gifv

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”